Peak season predictions

Package Stick

"Send it."
My Hub is "relying" on double/triple shifters for staffing right now.

Can't keep anyone around. 9 new blues last week, 7 of them have already quit. Monday it'll be 8 (or 9).

I can get 60-70 a week without trying.

Also, a bunch of package guys retiring + new drivers quitting.

Wonder how much yelling will come out of this peak?? I'll be entertained, just keep the $100s coming.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
It's been peak since March. Can't fit anymore into my package car.
Bit the way the newbies are quitting or getting DQed the company better ask for the DOT hours to he extended to 90 hours a week.

They are laying off the seasonal at my hub starting Friday. Really :censored2:ty as now of them were told it was seasonal. All promised the moon by management. As far as peak goes we are taking it long and hard. My area slowed down drastically at least. One good perk of delivering in the hood. Now if there is another stimulus check then im back up over 200 stops (110 is my average usually 60/40 split on business sometimes 70/30) makes for a long day but I get my.laughs when I make that call that I can't fit this pickup. They never learn and that will never change.

Misthios

My Hub is "relying" on double/triple shifters for staffing right now.

Can't keep anyone around. 9 new blues last week, 7 of them have already quit. Monday it'll be 8 (or 9).

I can get 60-70 a week without trying.

Also, a bunch of package guys retiring + new drivers quitting.

Wonder how much yelling will come out of this peak?? I'll be entertained, just keep the $100s coming.
Hell we have had staffing issues for two years now. Its to the point where we accept warm body coverage on preload. Message goes out almost nightly to see if we want to help load trailers or unload trucks. No thank you. Ive already sweated my ass off in this truck for ten hours. Im good.

Cloud

They are laying off the seasonal at my hub starting Friday. Really :censored2:ty as now of them were told it was seasonal. All promised the moon by management. As far as peak goes we are taking it long and hard. My area slowed down drastically at least. One good perk of delivering in the hood. Now if there is another stimulus check then im back up over 200 stops (110 is my average usually 60/40 split on business sometimes 70/30) makes for a long day but I get my.laughs when I make that call that I can't fit this pickup. They never learn and that will never change.

It's definitely slower here too, a lot are under 100 stops now. But what's the point of laying off the seasonals when you know that they are gonna call them back in like 2 weeks.

Misthios

It's definitely slower here too, a lot are under 100 stops now. But what's the point of laying off the seasonals when you know that they are gonna call them back in like 2 weeks.
I agree 100 percent. They are already telling us how buried we will be when they go away. If it happens that way cool with me boss. Just remember I'm not killing myself to cover your screw ups.

Package Stick

"Send it."
Catastrophic, especially for us 22.4 slaves
I hate to be that guy, (why the IBT allowed :censored2:ING DRIVERS TO BE PAID LESS IS BEYOND ME) a 22.4 is still doing good wage and bennies wise.

We need to get rid of the 2 tier driver wages in the next contract. If you're a "combo" worker (22.4) doing package driving you should be paid a RPCD wage, IF you're doing hub work you should be paid a "Hub" wage.

The 22.4s at my Hub HAVE NEVER!!!! worked in the Hub, and are treated as a RPCD. This is bull :censored2:.

purehavanne

The last two peaks for Me haven't been too awful as there was little to no snow between Thanksgiving and New Years and they finally gave up trying to saddle Me with a helper. This year, there's just not enough room to put out enough loads as things are now and that could well translate into everybody getting many more stops which would of course mean worse load quality plus a helper to add insult to injury.

There's just all kinds of ways for a peak season to go bad. 2017 started badly and We didn't finally catch up until the final Saturday. 2013 started bad and the final week was perhaps the worst time I'd ever experienced in the 3 plus decades I've been there. I could see this one being as bad as 2013 or worse where the last helper wasn't let go until late February.

I've heard nasty things about 2013

purehavanne

Fellow Hood driver! Keep your head on a swivel!

Jakamoe

I work for teamsters, UPS contracted me
Can't be worse than last peak. All of us out for max hours everyday. Sure you could try and load more, doesn't mean more is going to get done. If anything, more jam packed package cars will probably slow overall production. There's only so many hours in a week, so many packages delivered in a week. I don't even stress peak anymore. Just kiss my family and tell them, see you in January.

Est.1998

I look forward to gaining my winter weight back and having someone else walk these stops off. I'm hoping they don't pull the social distance crap and prevent us from having helpers.

You got that right

textat3

My center already has their peak plan in place. It calls for 110 trucks, 120 drivers and 85 diads. In addition we will be hiring 90 helpers.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've heard nasty things about 2013
2013 was one of the worst but 2014 was the easiest peak ever !
UPS got scared of the media backlash and hired and kept on too many drivers.
Most drivers were back and off the clock by 6pm every night.
Quarter earnings dived and UPS went back to the peak skeleton crews.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I hate to be that guy, (why the IBT allowed :censored2:ING DRIVERS TO BE PAID LESS IS BEYOND ME) a 22.4 is still doing good wage and bennies wise.

We need to get rid of the 2 tier driver wages in the next contract. If you're a "combo" worker (22.4) doing package driving you should be paid a RPCD wage, IF you're doing hub work you should be paid a "Hub" wage.

The 22.4s at my Hub HAVE NEVER!!!! worked in the Hub, and are treated as a RPCD. This is bull :censored2:.

LOL