Penalties for free work

TarAndFeathers

Methodically disorganized
There are too many runner-gunner drivers out there working off the clock and skipping lunches.

Yelling at drivers and telling them not to do it isn't really fixing the issues it is causing; it is ruining routes for methodical drivers that work legit, and it is stealing volume and work from other drivers, by getting these increased dispatches by "cheating" and making these impossible numbers happen, they are taking extra work that could be used to run more routes and give more jobs to drivers.

Personally I think the only way to fix it is to penalize these drivers, for every subsequent violation for working off the clock, that person should pay increased Union Dues as a fine, and for every violation the fee goes up more and more, and with enough violations, they should be suspended from the Union for a certain amount of time.

I personally believe that once runners start having to pay out of pocket for working off the clock, it will diminish significantly. At least their wasted effort will go back into contributing to the Union rather than just ruining routes and denying people working opportunities.

Of course with that being said, how it could be enforced on road by stewards and business agents? No one exactly knows, but it would definitely put a stop to those coming in an hour early in the morning sorting their truck for free.

Just my two cents.

Brownwind

There are too many runner-gunner drivers out there working off the clock and skipping lunches.

Yelling at drivers and telling them not to do it isn't really fixing the issues it is causing; it is ruining routes for methodical drivers that work legit, and it is stealing volume and work from other drivers, by getting these increased dispatches by "cheating" and making these impossible numbers happen, they are taking extra work that could be used to run more routes and give more jobs to drivers.

Personally I think the only way to fix it is to penalize these drivers, for every subsequent violation for working off the clock, that person should pay increased Union Dues as a fine, and for every violation the fee goes up more and more, and with enough violations, they should be suspended from the Union for a certain amount of time.

I personally believe that once runners start having to pay out of pocket for working off the clock, it will diminish significantly. At least their wasted effort will go back into contributing to the Union rather than just ruining routes and denying people working opportunities.

Of course with that being said, how it could be enforced on road by stewards and business agents? No one exactly knows, but it would definitely put a stop to those coming in an hour early in the morning sorting their truck for free.

Just my two cents.
Sorry but it takes an injury or disciplinary action to get through to them. My best advice is do the job you are trained to do and don’t loose sleep over it. In the past before this slow period I personally send stops their way. Yep they get upset over the hours long ride to meet me and the stops I give them but hey. I worked 14 hrs they shouldn’t be scared of eight.

Personally I’m more worried about the critters than the hours.

TarAndFeathers

Only way to stop it is convince your stew to file on them. Or more senior drivers to file.
Our BA and stewards have made threats, but there are so many, you can't catch them all. And none of them listen. Sure they might stop for a day or so, but the moment they get 5 more stops they start whining about how "heavy" they are. And ironically, some of these guys are also on the 9.5 list.

TarAndFeathers

Sorry but it takes an injury or disciplinary action to get through to them. My best advice is do the job you are trained to do and don’t loose sleep over it. In the past before this slow period I personally send stops their way. Yep they get upset over the hours long ride to meet me and the stops I give them but hey. I worked 14 hrs they shouldn’t be scared of eight.

Personally I’m more worried about the critters than the hours.
I don't lose any sleep over them either, if they like to work for free fine. But my biggest issue is them doing so is stealing work from other people who want hours.

Hot Carl

The new DIAD locking you out of EDD while on lunch put a dent in the problem, but we still had issues with guys driving back to the building on lunch and/or loading their trucks before start time. Thankfully, the preloaders on the belt my truck is parked on won't stand for drivers stealing work (they're already lucky to make half what we do) and have raised the issue enough for management to put a stop to it. Usually a flurry of warning letters from and a discussion with the BA puts an end to guys returning to the building on lunch. All the BA has to tell them is the fact that any accident that happens while on your lunch break will result in termination for dishonesty/falsifying records.

Returntosender

Runners can’t be stopped

ALL RUNNERS MUST BE DESTROYED
🧔‍♂️✊
93E7703E-528E-47CD-86F0-A87EB7AB9EAA.gif

HavenoEDD

Just my two cents.
Just dont worry about it. Young guys can blow up my route when they want but through the years management know my pace and leave me alone because i could always go slower.

You do you. Stay safe and consistent and you'll be fine

Thebrownblob

Just dont worry about it. Young guys can blow up my route when they want but through the years management know my pace and leave me alone because i could always go slower.

You do you. Stay safe and consistent and you'll be fine
Yep, I may not be as fast but I don’t have driver follow ups. Missed scans, Customer concerns, accidents, or injuries.

TarAndFeathers

The new DIAD locking you out of EDD while on lunch put a dent in the problem, but we still had issues with guys driving back to the building on lunch and/or loading their trucks before start time. Thankfully, the preloaders on the belt my truck is parked on won't stand for drivers stealing work (they're already lucky to make half what we do) and have raised the issue enough for management to put a stop to it. Usually a flurry of warning letters from and a discussion with the BA puts an end to guys returning to the building on lunch. All the BA has to tell them is the fact that any accident that happens while on your lunch break will result in termination for dishonesty/falsifying records.
Sorting the truck on road during lunch is where the magic happens, and it's the most tricky to catch. But I am glad your building has put those bad habits on lockdown.

Cowboy Mac

Sorting the truck on road during lunch is where the magic happens, and it's the most tricky to catch. But I am glad your building has put those bad habits on lockdown.
You’re never going to be able to change these runners. The best you can do is to have a talk with them one on one and give them some reasons not to work off the clock. This is how much money you’re losing, what happens if you get injured off the clock, etc.

The union is never going to get behind you on this issue because the purpose of a union is to protect its members and protect their jobs. They usually steer clear of doing anything that puts members at risk of discipline. We don’t file grievances against members, we file them against management.

You can file a grievance asking for the member to be paid for the time they worked off the clock but in my experience, runners don’t want to be paid for that time and they actually turn down the money. They continue to work off the clock and management continues to let it happen. All it does is piss off the runners and make them hate the union.

In other words it creates division in the union over a minor issue, which is the last thing we need in a contract year.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Might take surprise visits to the worse offenders at lunch, but who is going to do it? The runner-gunner is a very stupid breed, and we all know you can't fix stupid.

Cowboy Mac

Might take surprise visits to the worse offenders at lunch, but who is going to do it? The runner-gunner is a very stupid breed, and we all know you can't fix stupid.
It’s really something that the steward needs to talk with these guys about. Anything further than that is a waste of energy.