Pension contribution question

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Good morning all, I am a relative new employee at UPS and was wondering how i start contributing to the Teamsters pension plan? Is there paperwork that needs to be filled out? Or are you automatically enrolled into the pension plan after joining the union? I am a proud member of the Local 174 in the Seattle, WA area.
You are automatically enrolled when you attain Union seniority. The company makes the contributions to the plan (as part of your total compensation package). You only need to make sure you work enough hours, check with a union shop steward, knowledgeable coworker, or read the contract language for yourself. It is a good idea to save some sort of record, such as your last paystub of each year showing total hours worked.

There is also a 401k plan (no employer matching contributions!), which I'm pretty sure you will also be automatically enrolled in, watch your mail for that paperwork (options for %contribution, fund options, traditional pre-tax or Roth, etc). That will be through Prudential.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I'm sure all the center teams are just champing at the bit to get a 52 year old cover driver.
I would never attempt to start this job at that age. You’re going to speed up the destruction of your body. It’s not like he’s been used to doing it for a couple decades, and his body is conditioned to it. A 52 year old body starting from scratch as a driver? Tall order.
But hey, good luck.