Pension deductions?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I actually just spoke to a member who had to make hardship withdrawals. The 10% penalty applied to the earnings portion of his Roth, not the principal. Prudential will withhold it anyway, but it was returned when he filed his taxes.
You just keep taking random scenarios and applying them to whatever you want to fit your story.

99% of what you have said has been wildly made up speculation. I've been willing to say this only my opinion of what I'd like. Yet you keep spewing your drivel like its fact. You and TOS would get along well.

We are going in circles. I wouldn't want to tap into it at all, but BS somehow seems to think you should be able to, or is happy about working 41+ years for the company (friend-That). What you guys should be doing is fixing your pension plan not abandoning it.
It's beyond repair . I'm actually losing part of my raises to go into a failing pension fund I would rather put that in my own 401k

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Just talked to a retiree who only worked 28 years and retired under our PEER 80. $51,600/year was his benefit with spousal life coverage. That's better than having
You just keep taking random scenarios and applying them to whatever you want to fit your story.

99% of what you have said has been wildly made up speculation. I've been willing to say this only my opinion of what I'd like. Yet you keep spewing your drivel like its fact. You and TOS would get along well.

Is it? I haven't seen one quotable fact or source from you yet, just your opinion.

Just talked to a retiree who only worked 28 years and retired under our PEER 80. $51,600/year was his benefit with spousal life coverage. That's better than having

Is it? I haven't seen one quotable fact or source from you yet, just your opinion.
And many and won't see half of that.

That's what we are trying to tell you

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I take it you are all in the Central States? I won't pretend to understand why your plan is so screwed and ours is so golden. It seems everything with "Central States" in front of it has the kiss of death. Healthcare, pension you name it.

You don't have to be a jerk about it.
Far too many plans are under water. Is that too hard for you too understand?

I'm the jerk now? That was pretty tame considering the insults that have been flying my way.

There is always the PBGC

I take it you are all in the Central States? I won't pretend to understand why your plan is so screwed and ours is so golden. It seems everything with "Central States" in front of it has the kiss of death. Healthcare, pension you name it.

I'm the jerk now? That was pretty tame considering the insults that have been flying my way.

There is always the PBGC
Not very much money when you are in a multi employer plan.

You need to get your facts together.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When an employer makes a defined contribution like what you are proposing, that is what they are doing. Do you really not understand this or is it just a major case of confirmation bias?
No it's not.

Straight from the irs.gov

401(k) Plans - Deferrals and matching when compensation exceeds the annual limit
Unless your plan terms provide otherwise, the salary (elective) deferral limit is applied uniformly to the compensation that the employee receives throughout the year.

Compensation and contribution limits are subject to annual cost-of-living adjustments. The annual limits are:
  • total employee and employer contributions (including forfeitures) - the lesser of 100% of an employee’s compensation or $53,000 for 2015 and 2016 (not including "catch-up" elective deferrals of $6,000 in 2015 and 2016 for employees age 50 or older)

401(k) Plans - Deferrals and matching when compensation exceeds the annual limit

By The Book

Book here....this has been an interesting read! First @UpstateNYUPSer there isn't a rule of 85. Second @Brownslave688 I can't figure out how the company can just put the pension monies into your 401k without them somehow being earned. I believe the amount thrown around was about $20,800. The percent that comes out of our checks and is put into the 401k is a percentage of our earnings. I'm confused on that whole scenario. Third @104Feeder, before the (all compensible hours) that you speak of in the WCTPF, you were paid up to 160 hours a month. If you reached that threshold you got the peer hours, which gave you a total of 173.3. The yearly total is 2079.6. Even with this (all compensible hours) that you speak of you have a max of, you guessed it 2080. February always had at least 20 days, so if you had a paid day for all 20 days you got your 160 hours and the peer. Fourth, and this is just me thinking here....isn't the limit that can be put into the 401k around $18,000.? How can you have both? @Brownslave688, if you got what you wanted and somehow the 401k was structured in such a way as to allow the pension contributions to be deposited into it, wouldn't all employees then have to wait until 59 1/2 to retire, I mean how liberal do you want this thing to be? If that were the case I do see an upside to our current pension system at UPS. @Wally, you bring up a great point about more teamster members and the state of pension funds. It will absolutely help, but you know who fights a little harder to keep this from happening than you know who who doesn't seem to fight hard enough!