Personal and Economic Freedom for Individuals

wkmac

David Graeber, anthropologist and Professor London School of Economics on London Real talking about anarchism and the Occupy movement.

wkmac

@Monkey Butt You might appreciate this talk by the late Karl Hess on "The Role of Community in the Commitment for Liberty." Talk was given in the early 1980's. @rickyb might like it too as Karl talks about co-ops and a form of worker managed enterprises in a free market society.

bacha29

Two things about the history of American politics that has always amused me. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1948 DEMOCRATIC National Convention? The answer...Ronald Reagan. Who was the keynote speaker at the 1956 DEMOCRATIC National Convention? The answer....None other than Charleton ("from my cold dead hands Mr. President") Hesston. Why the change ?. They amassed a fortune then adopted the "I got mine the rest of you can go to hell" conservative mentality. I live in a depressed rural area and what amuses me to an equal extent is to listen to the conservative carnival barkers in my locale spewing out their anti Democrat/Progressive venom but the next time you see them they are coming out of the Social Security or Department of Welfare offices signing up for Social Security or Social Security Disability or Medicare, Medicaid SSI heating assistance food stamps etc and whatever other Democrat sponsored social program they can qualify for . Programs that have been around so long they took them for granted. Why did they apply? They would simply starve if they didn't apply. Now the reality of the hard line conservative ideology they put in power has set in (you know if you're not rich it's your fault) and is about to take away those benefits and they are terrified. Like they say.....Be careful what you wish for....you might get it.