Personal Finances

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
We have a joint account. If I could go back in time and do it all over again I would realize I am much too selfish to be married in the first place so naturally I would now have a single account :happy-very:.

I GOT ONE MORE

Our marriage made us one, but to each their own. We are debt free and have piles of cash in the bank.

Frankly, we can't understand financing anything except the home, we have 8 years left.
If you can't save up and pay cash, than you can't afford it and you shouldn't be buying it. Interest and finance charges are money down the drain, that's the money the banks use to build those fancy skyscrapers and multi million dollar salaries. Even your mortgage interest is a rip off. We would much rather pay the taxes on the mortgage interest that we send to the bank each year. Think about it.

Debt is a reason the economy has been stumbling the last couple years. Home values declining have prevented the "wallet of equity" from being tapped. People became accustomed to repeatedly refinancing, going farther and farther into debt. Now they are backed into a wall, finally facing the facts. Payments into oblivion. Hence, foreclosures, bankruptcies, credit card defaults are all up nationwide.

Debt is a product that has been SOLD to the American public since the late 50's. That's when the first credit card was created. So many people are so over leveraged these days, it's amazing they can get a good nights sleep.

Close your eyes. Imagine life with NO payments. You would have a lot more money.
And sleep well.

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree, credit cards are evil ! Been there done that, haven't had one in over a decade now.

No more spontenous buying something in a mall, that you think you want or need.
Without credit card, you simply leave it at the store, you think about it at home... if you really need it.... and then 9 out of 10... you don't.

Things can wait. Simple as that.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is nothing wrong with credit cards. The problem is how they are used. In fact, you almost have to have a credit card to build any kind of credit these days.

I had terrible credit. I opened a pre-paid credit card. I have had that same card now for 12 yrs. My credit is excellent now and part of the reason is because of that credit card. It took years of patience and diligence to turn my credit around. Knowing how to use credit cards is all important.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have not had a credit card in over 15 years ... they are all charge cards since then. Like Dilli said - pay in full every month.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Not only buying a house, your credit will be checked if you only want to rent an apartment.

Financial experts even recommend you get a joint credit card with your child. You never have to even give them the card (or even tell them about it). But it will build good credit for them.

klein

I agree, that is why I said, "The problem is how they are used.". I did say that didn't I? Ya, I just looked. I did.

Not caring about credit? Then you aren't living in the real world. If you want to buy a house, if you want to work at a decent job.... then you damn well better care about your credit score. My step son is trying to buy a house, he can't. Why, you might ask? Because he doesn't have any credit history.

You don't have to live your life by a credit card but you damn sure need good credit to get anywhere.

I can tell you a true story. When I moved here from Germany in 1987, thats when I got my first Canadian Social Insurance number (you call it Social security).
I was 27.
One year later , with no bills on my name at all, no credit card, I needed $2000.00 for moving expenses (was moving out from my brothers place).

Went to the loan officer at a bank.. she checked my credit (equifax), and said, no problem, you have excellent top credit , and if I was ever to buy a house, just go see her. (I was totally amazed, since I never had credit before).

Maybe times have changed by now.
But, don't forget, a lot of teens get credit cards now, with a low max, and if they screw that up, - then you need to rebuild !

In your stepsons case, like I said, times have probably changed.
Besides, in those times, a minmal downpayment on a house was 10%, it has since been reduced to 5% for first time home buyers.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not only buying a house, your credit will be checked if you only want to rent an apartment.

Financial experts even recommend you get a joint credit card with your child. You never have to even give them the card (or even tell them about it). But it will build good credit for them.
Or bad, for that matter. Shop wisely.

You don't have to live your life by a credit card but you damn sure need good credit to get anywhere.

Or CASH

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Or CASH
Or "COIN", in your case.:wink2:

Cash often times will get you a better price.
This is very true, my friend. Oh, and needed to mention this one tidbit in case some people didn't know. If you go to a gas station that has a cash and credit price difference, here's a trick. If you pay with a debit card and select the pay with debit card function, you'll pay the cash price.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Or "COIN", in your case.:wink2:

This is very true, my friend. Oh, and needed to mention this one tidbit in case some people didn't know. If you go to a gas station that has a cash and credit price difference, here's a trick. If you pay with a debit card and select the pay with debit card function, you'll pay the cash price.
Unless you are buying gas at ARCO. If you purchase anything on debit at ARCO then you pay a surcharge for it. You can use credit with no surcharge. Cash talks.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Unless you are buying gas at ARCO. If you purchase anything on debit at ARCO then you pay a surcharge for it. You can use credit with no surcharge. Cash talks.
No ARCO's here, though I'm glad you shared that info. I won't be using them when I travel out west next year. I may make stops in dilli and lifer, AZ as well as fethrs, helen and bd, CA, LOL.

klein

just got back from a 7/11 store.
(bought my lottery tickets).

Seen 2 oversized females in there (actually walking in front of me, so I couldn't pass them) , both with baby strollers...

They're buying these stupid overpriced old awlful tasting prepacked sandwiches. And chips, pop, and other junkfood.

Now, that's a waste of money !
Go to subway, if you're too lazy to make your own sandwich at home.
It's fresh, and cheaper, and better !

I had to think of this thread... if I had a wife like that and support her (they aren't working, ....babies)
It would bother me to see my money spent that foolishly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're wasting money on lottery tickets and bitching about the fat chicks buying junk using their EBT cards?

Dilli, you can by-pass the surcharge by using your debit card as a credit card. My bank charges me if I use my debit card for POS so I always choose credit.

klein

You're wasting money on lottery tickets and bitching about the fat chicks buying junk using their EBT cards?

Dilli, you can by-pass the surcharge by using your debit card as a credit card. My bank charges me if I use my debit card for POS so I always choose credit.

Lottery tickets are a good cause though. It goes back to goverment to provide for the needy.
Whats the good cause on junkfood ?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No ARCO's here, though I'm glad you shared that info. I won't be using them when I travel out west next year. I may make stops in dilli and lifer, AZ as well as fethrs, helen and bd, CA, LOL.
Steven, if you come through here and do not stop then we will have some serious issues to discuss. Like how I'm gonna kick you shiny hiny.!!!!!!:happy-very: