pet peeves

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Cover driver that won't replace my seat in the position he found it- Drivers that won't give a little, both UPS and General public.

Personally, I think that if you are going to be gone then you should move your seat to a position that better suits me. :wink2: Ain't gonna happen though, is it? Well, here's your sign! :happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I hate it when companies change a winning formula. Starbucks has changed their recipe for their mocha frappucino light. This is similiar to when Coke changed their recipe. I'm a daily consumer. The new recipe tastes bad with the new sweetener, Stevia.....terrible aftertaste. I have been a daily customer since '91. I am now going to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.....my 2nd choice and actually has less sugar.

I've written to Starbucks and received responses that sound like they didn't even read my complaint. I guess $5 a day isn't important to them. :sick:

bigbrownhen

Annoyes me when you go to the grocery store, and they moved everything. I know its a marketing tool, but I hate wandering and wasting time looking for my regular items.

Also, when they change the look of a product. I like to never found my shampoo and conditioner the other day. Went from pink bottle to a white one. They actually pay people to come up with these ideas to annoy consumers.

22.34life

It gets on my nerves when im clerking and every driver that comes up has to tell me a story about every package he has,like "i sheeted this one up moved" hence the service cross that says moved.not to mention that we just scan the package and it tells us the ore.I hate drivers that pull of packages that dont need to be like ni1 or ni2 and even when you tell them about it they do it anyways espeacially the ones that come back from feeders.I also think its funny when you clerk one side for a while then you dont and it has been like six months since you have and you have drivers looking just for you like your the only clerk at the center and last but not least i hate on car sups that park the package car right where i put my work station when there is like a whole empty boxline i mean they see me work there everyday.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It gets on my nerves when im clerking and every driver that comes up has to tell me a story about every package he has,like "i sheeted this one up moved" hence the service cross that says moved.not to mention that we just scan the package and it tells us the ore.I hate drivers that pull of packages that dont need to be like ni1 or ni2 and even when you tell them about it they do it anyways espeacially the ones that come back from feeders.I also think its funny when you clerk one side for a while then you dont and it has been like six months since you have and you have drivers looking just for you like your the only clerk at the center and last but not least i hate on car sups that park the package car right where i put my work station when there is like a whole empty boxline i mean they see me work there everyday.
That's funny. I do it, too. But, let me tell you my side.

My pet peeve is when clerks send pkgs back to be reattempted and they haven't given me a good address to work with. They cross out my service cross and write good addy. I will ask for directions or a house description and get nothing. They assume that I didn't bother looking which couldn't be farther from the truth. Because of this lack of attention to detail, I do take my pkgs to my clerk and give very specific and detailed information. If I have an addy that I think is a good one but I can't find it, I will let my clerk know that. He can resend it and let the regular driver deal with it the next day. If it's a badd addy and I know damn good and well it is I will let the clerk know this as well. I haven't been given any choice and I hate seeing pkgs the next day that haven't been given proper attention.

Let me ask you this, are you the kind of clerk that I have?

22.34life

That's funny. I do it, too. But, let me tell you my side.

My pet peeve is when clerks send pkgs back to be reattempted and they haven't given me a good address to work with. They cross out my service cross and write good addy. I will ask for directions or a house description and get nothing. They assume that I didn't bother looking which couldn't be farther from the truth. Because of this lack of attention to detail, I do take my pkgs to my clerk and give very specific and detailed information. If I have an addy that I think is a good one but I can't find it, I will let my clerk know that. He can resend it and let the regular driver deal with it the next day. If it's a badd addy and I know damn good and well it is I will let the clerk know this as well. I haven't been given any choice and I hate seeing pkgs the next day that haven't been given proper attention.

Let me ask you this, are you the kind of clerk that I have?
I have seen drivers sheet up packages nsn that are a good address or a package that is addressed to lakeview apts and the driver brings it back need apt.After a while most drivers would tell me what packages are bs and what ones are legit so i dont waste my time.Drivers dont understand that if a package is sheeted up nsn and the address matchs in the system we have to send it back out , thats what were told to do and now they have a clerk that corrects packages in the day so when you bring it in i scan it and the package is already done i juust hit f10 so i dont even clerk these.I really get along good with all the drivers in my center i really dont hate anything they do, we all have a job to do and are told to do it differnt ways than the others.The worst thing i ever did was i corrected 7 irregs that weighed about 80lbs each to the same address after the driver brought them in nsn ,again i was just doing as i was told but man the driver was pissed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sometimes it's not your fault and sometimes it's not my fault.................. sometimes it's just the system. This is why I talk to my clerk. If I have a NSN and I know the regular driver is going to be back the next day I will tell the clerk that it's probably a good number but I couldn't find it. Let the regular driver deal with it. If I have a NSN and I know I will be on the rte for a few days I will ask the clerk to get me directions, a house description, something to help me get the pkg del. But there are times when it is simply a wrong number, even if it shows in the system as being good. These are the ones that I take to the clerk and say, LOOK! This is NOT a good address and don't send it back out (this usually only happens when I am on a rte for a full week and I have seen the pkg repeatedly).

You guys can make our job so much easier or so much more difficult. But that goes both ways. A good clerk is worth their weight in gold. My night clerk is great, it's taken time for him to learn but he has learned well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I go through the pkgs in the "look up" room each morning before I go on road and it's not uncommon to find 1 or 2 that I can either give directions on or that already have a good address. I will bring these to the dispatch sup and we put them out for delivery. We have 2 night clerks and both do a very good job when doing address corrections or verifying valid addresses. They do not simply rely on the information in the computer but will make the phone call to the consignee. They both also know that there are certain drivers who tend to bring back more packages than most.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I go through the pkgs in the "look up" room each morning before I go on road and it's not uncommon to find 1 or 2 that I can either give directions on or that already have a good address. I will bring these to the dispatch sup and we put them out for delivery. We have 2 night clerks and both do a very good job when doing address corrections or verifying valid addresses. They do not simply rely on the information in the computer but will make the phone call to the consignee. They both also know that there are certain drivers who tend to bring back more packages than most.
I love this. My morning OMS will almost always come to me to find out directions or ask what rte. There are very few places that I don't know.............................. :happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I walked in the other day and there was a package for a town that I used to deliver to next to the dispatch sup station. After chatting for a few minutes, I asked him if there was a problem with the package and he said that the address was not in the system and asked if I knew where it was. It was a street name that had been in use prior to the 911 change. I told him the new name of the street. I did not recognize the consignee but told the sup where the driver could stop and get directions and/or a house number as it was flowers for Easter. I also spoke to the driver of that area when he came in. The package made service.

browniehound

I hate it when companies change a winning formula. Starbucks has changed their recipe for their mocha frappucino light. This is similiar to when Coke changed their recipe. I'm a daily consumer. The new recipe tastes bad with the new sweetener, Stevia.....terrible aftertaste. I have been a daily customer since '91. I am now going to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.....my 2nd choice and actually has less sugar.

I've written to Starbucks and received responses that sound like they didn't even read my complaint. I guess $5 a day isn't important to them. :sick:

Hey Moreluck,
I hear ya with discontinuation of a formula, but my beef is with an after shave. It was Skin Bracer "cooling blue" and it was always hard to find in the stores. I used to order it from Drugstore.com and then it disappeared one day. My girl called the company and was informed they are not making it any more. They still make the green scent but it doesn't smell nearly as good.

I used to get compliment after compliment on my scent from this simple $4 bottle of after shave. At first I wore it because it made my skin feel better after shaving. Then people kept asking me what I was wearing. Other people on the belt would say "Damn kid you smell good, what is that?" I would respond with "its a $4 bottle of after shave".

I've tried everything else looking for something similiar, but nothing is even close.

Skin Bracer "Cooling Blue". anyone ever use it?

browniehound

Recent pet peeve:

Here in the greater Boston area we've had record rainfall, the worst in fifty years, state of emergency, yada-yada.

I don't have enough fingers to count how many customers told me to "Stay dry!" after I handed them their package(s).

Hey donkey: I'm completely soaked, my hat is dripping, the DIAD looks like it just got out of the shower, the cardboard on your package(s) is starting to dimple from the soaking received from a mere fifteen foot walk from car to door, and my fingers are puckered like a kid who's been in the bathtub too long.

What do you mean, "Stay dry!" ?

You do realize that I'm not actually dry right now, no?

They probably mean well...

I work in greater Boston also, but "Stay dry" doesn't really bother me. Its actually one cliche'(if we can call it this) that I don't mind or doesn't get on my nerves. To me, its just a friendly "see ya later" comment.

Its not as nearly as irritating as "hot enough for ya?" or the classic "They don't even give you guys air conditioning, huh?" I mean this really makes me want to throw up. They see us driving around with the doors open everywhere. We pull up into their parking lot with the doors wide open, and the question is still asked. They I politely explain to a person for the 9,955th time that UPS can't give us power-steering so they certainly are not going to spring for AC.

When they can't believe this, I continue to explain that I do a stop about every 3 minutes and it would be more uncomfortable going in and out of the AC 20 times/hour.

Then they get hung up on: "you get in and out of that truck 20 times per hour?". Thats when I just say to myself "good grief".

There is a portion of the public that thinks we just drive around all day with the doors open and enjoying the sunshine or they must think we go and pick-up their parcels and bring them directly to them. Why else would we get the annoying "What is it?" question. I just don't respond to this question because I simply don't know what to say. What am I supposed to say to that? What is the person looking for an answer?

I also got crap last week for doing nothing. I'm carrying a 40 lb package to a residence and I can't scan it on the way because I need both hands to carry it. Of course, the guy is waiting at the door for me and he wants to grab it from me. I put and down at his feet, scan it and walk away. Then I get "Thanks A------, !" for leaving the package at his feet instead of handing it to him. Its instances like these that make me want to sheet everything at the car even though its not the method.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to agree with the consignee on this one, although not with his choice of words. If he is standing there waiting for it and you set it in front of him, scan it and walk away, without picking it back up and handing it to him, then, yeah, I agree with him and with his choice of words. Sorry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

People who have 20 items in the 10 item express checkout. They think that 10 bottles of coke counts as one item.

I had this happen and this was my solution, which I don't recommend to everyone as it could backfire. I simply counted, out loud, each item as the cashier scanned it. When the cashier was done, I would repeat the total and then point to the sign above the register--"Express Line--14 items or less"--while making eye contact with the express lane violator.

The ones that I find most frustrating are those that have more than the limit but proceed to make several smaller transactions. For example, they have 20 items, but will have the cashier scan the first 6, pay for those, scan 7, etc. This willl usually prompt me to ask for the manager.

bigbrownhen

There is a portion of the public that thinks we just drive around all day with the doors open and enjoying the sunshine or they must think we go and pick-up their parcels and bring them directly to them. Why else would we get the annoying "What is it?" question. I just don't respond to this question because I simply don't know what to say. What am I supposed to say to that? What is the person looking for an answer?

My response to "Whats is it?" is " A box"... usually enough said.

I also got crap last week for doing nothing. I'm carrying a 40 lb package to a residence and I can't scan it on the way because I need both hands to carry it. Of course, the guy is waiting at the door for me and he wants to grab it from me. I put and down at his feet, scan it and walk away. Then I get "Thanks A------, !" for leaving the package at his feet instead of handing it to him. Its instances like these that make me want to sheet everything at the car even though its not the method.[/QUOTE]

Look at it from the customers viewpoint. If you had been the customer, would you have been offended?

I usually just hand the package to the customer and ask them to hold it still so I can scan it, or if its someone who looks like they couldn't hold a heavier pkg, I set it down, scan, and set it just inside the door for them. I will also wait on my elderly customers to come to the door, but go as fast as I can back to the truck at the "chatty" customers house....:happy2:

I know they push us to be super efficient on time, but you have to balance that with customer service as well, its a fine line.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The mail carrier delivers a box right to my front door, rings the bell and leaves. That's good, but why does he leave my mail in the box and I still have to go out to the street to get it. I could understand if it's raining.....but it's SoCal....hardly rains here.

over9five

Staff member
The mail carrier delivers a box right to my front door, rings the bell and leaves. That's good, but why does he leave my mail in the box and I still have to go out to the street to get it. I could understand if it's raining.....but it's SoCal....hardly rains here.

LOL, they do that here too! I think they're padding their stops....