pickoff study strategies... anybody have any?

mommaslice

I just received my first raise after hitting my year seniority! $.50!? Wtf. So, I am going to take the pickoff test. There are so many zip codes to remember! I am in Missouri, earth city hub, night sort. I need tips on how to study. Anybody somebody please help

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I just received my first raise after hitting my year seniority! $.50!? Wtf. So, I am going to take the pickoff test. There are so many zip codes to remember! I am in Missouri, earth city hub, night sort. I need tips on how to study. Anybody somebody please help
Good luck!
What I did long ago ; took the sort sheet and blocked out of all of the belt colors, and started right at the top of the list. Learned every zip code/SLIC block and what color they went to, top-down on the page. I kept going until I made a mistake, then started over.
Once I had that down fairly well, I reversed it so I only could see the belt colors and had to pick which zips and towns went to which belt. A few days of this and I had most memorized, exceptions aside.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Will the sups let you practice on the fly? Studying zip codes did nothing for me. Having to actually do it cemented it in my head. It's how I have all my local sorters learn as well. Sort for a while, then go into the trailer or smalls sort and see where you screwed up, rinse and repeat. You learn quicker when you see your mistakes.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Will the sups let you practice on the fly? Studying zip codes did nothing for me. Having to actually do it cemented it in my head. It's how I have all my local sorters learn as well. Sort for a while, then go into the trailer or smalls sort and see where you screwed up, rinse and repeat. You learn quicker when you see your mistakes.
I actually agree with him on this to an extent. If in the sort aisle, put up the sort sheets and start next to someone else until you learn the sort and get proficient. If pick-off, you can't do that job without knowing it first or the belt will be off constantly, unless you're at high volume as a weak side pickoff when you aren't really needed--just learning, but if the shcitt hits the fan it won't work.

PT Car Washer

I actually agree with him on this to an extent. If in the sort aisle, put up the sort sheets and start next to someone else until you learn the sort and get proficient. If pick-off, you can't do that job without knowing it first or the belt will be off constantly, unless you're at high volume as a weak side pickoff when you aren't really needed--just learning, but if the shcitt hits the fan it won't work.
Chances are if you have been loading for a while you know which zips go to your belt. Work multiple belts after a few months and you will know all the spits in your building. Just like driving, not rocket science.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Chances are if you have been loading for a while you know which zips go to your belt. Work multiple belts after a few months and you will know all the spits in your building. Just like driving, not rocket science.
Yes and no. Now they have those new scanners that don't let you misload. It's not like it used to be. Many loaders just beep and throw without looking or worrying about zip codes.

PT Car Washer

You said you would learn them by loading. I pointed out that it isn't the case anymore to learn zip codes while loading because of the scanners.
I guess you have no practical experience loading. yes the scanner tells you the package does not go in that trailer, but you still should look at the label to see why not. When was the last time you loaded a trailer? If ever.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I guess you have no practical experience loading. yes the scanner tells you the package does not go in that trailer, but you still should look at the label to see why not. When was the last time you loaded a trailer? If ever.
Are you a complete maroon? I didn't say people SHOULDN'T read the label. I said they often don't (because the scanner is a crutch now).

I worked inside for several years before going driving. I loaded feeders, unloaded feeders, drove inc trains, picked off, sorted in the sort aisle, etc. I forgot how futile posting with you is. I won't be responding to you anymore. I'm done. Welcome to ignore.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I actually agree with him on this to an extent.
First Dave agrees with me, now you.
nervous-gif.gif

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I agree with him on this. I bet you the loaders on my sort don't have a clue what goes where even though they've been in the same trailers forever. They get a beep and pull it out.

moldsporh

Freaking cakewalk, don't sweat it.

I remember (like the other poster mentioned) having to memorize sheets of addresses....they looked like wallpaper hanging up in front of me.

I don't even remember how many zip codes. ......was 30 bays and easily 8 zip codes........

We had to memorize all the addresses, ie street names and the number breaks of most all streets with business on them.

If I only had to memorize zip codes it would have been a 10 min study.

PT Car Washer

Freaking cakewalk, don't sweat it.

I remember (like the other poster mentioned) having to memorize sheets of addresses....they looked like wallpaper hanging up in front of me.

I don't even remember how many zip codes. ......was 30 bays and easily 8 zip codes........

We had to memorize all the addresses, ie street names and the number breaks of most all streets with business on them.

If I only had to memorize zip codes it would have been a 10 min study.
Sounds like sorting into the boxline before SPA labels. Except we had to know all the residential streets also.

Discoteka

Just can't stay away
When I picked, they just threw me up on the weak side for a bit. I learned from loading back in the day without the beeping scanners...so I learned my belt within 6 months. Within a month of weak side picking, I was strong side most of the time. I learn better by doing, not mindless number memorizing.