Please close Airline/Gateway thread

bbsam

Staff member
C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity has a whole chapter called "The Great Sin". In it he describes the sin of Pride. Very illuminating.

"Take it with money. Greed will certainly make a man want money for the sake of a better house, better holidays, better things to eat and drink. But only up to a point. What is it that makes a man with ($100,000) a year anxious to get ($200,000) a year? It is not the greed for more pleasure. ($100,000) will give all the luxuries that any man can really enjoy. It is Pride--the wish to be richer than some other rich man, and (still more) the wish for power. For, of course, power is what Pride really enjoys: there is nothing makes a man feel so superior to others as being able to move them about like toy soldiers..... What is it that makes a political leader or a whole nation go on and on demanding more and more? Pride again. Pride is competitive by it's very nature. That is why it goes on and on."

"That raises a terrible question. How is it that people who are quite obviously eaten up with Pride can say they believe in God and appear themselves very religious? I am afreaid it means they are worshipping and imaginary God. They theoretically admit themselves to be nothing in the presence of this phantom God, but are really all the time imaginging how He approves of them and thinks them far better than ordinary people: that is, they pay a pennyworth of imaginary humility to him and get out of it a pound's worth of Pride toward their fellow-men.

"And any of us may at any moment be in this death-trap. Luckily we have a test. Whenever we find that our religious life is making us feel that we are good--above all, that we are better than someone else--I think we may be sure that we are being acted on, not by God, but by the devil. The real test of being in the presence of God is, that you either forget about yourself altogether or see yourself as a small, dirty object. It is better to forget about yourself altogether."

"The other, and less bad, vices come from the devil working on us through our animal nature. But this (Pride) does not come through our animal nature at all. It comes direct from Hell. It is purely spiritual: consequently it is far more subtle and deadly."

Guilty. So much for my morning devotions.:smart::happy2:

airbusfxr

The company offered this amount based on their willing to run an airline. It takes alot of money to run an airline and if you want to play you must pay. Again we are being paid based on what UPS offers us, just as you get wages by "the company" based on what you are worth.

airbusfxr

Scott Davis is an airline person and yes he does value pilots, mechanics, and airline management by rewarding them with industry leading wages. He understands that this part of "the company" provides a service and is willing to pay employees of this division. I guess he will also pay the ground side employees fair wages even though he is not from the package division. For many years UPS was run by package employees and it didnt work, now with outsiders at the helm we are able to make money.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
It seems that the airline mechanic version of "fair" and "share" only goes in one direction. They sign off an airplane as serviceable and expect a medal. Then hide behind "putting their license on the line". All airplanes are imperfect machines that wear, break, chip, mis-fair, etc. Being a good mechanic (oh...AMT) means doing the job you are paid to do and not poking your head up all the time as the heroes of the operation. Everyone at UPS is necessary to make it work. Why waste your/our time trying to convice us/you that the airline mechanics "get" things for the 400K other employees or save the day for the International air operation. Just stfu

raceanoncr

For many years UPS was run by package employees and it didnt work, now with outsiders at the helm we are able to make money.

Uh, clarify please. You mean all these years UPS didn't make any money and now, the last couple years with Scott Davis, it HAS?

You mean, for most of the over 100 years, UPS didn't work with it's own managers or CEOs?

Hmmm...if so, interesting.

worldwide

For many years UPS was run by package employees and it didnt work, now with outsiders at the helm we are able to make money.

Wow...thanks to Davis, UPS finanlly started making money? Really? You truly beleive UPS was not making money before him? You do realize operating margins were higher previous to Davis, correct?

BTW---Davis is a CFO, an accountant. He ran II Morrow -- a company that made GPS and Loran devices for marine and aviation applications. I'd hardly categorize him as an "airline" person. His background is not from the airline industry.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Who's greed was it that put us out there on the open stock market?

I'm just a caveman {credit s-n-l} so I need someone to explain why the company went public in 1998 and raised $5.5B http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/10/companies/ups/

and

in 2008, a mere 10 years later, the company authorizes to repurchase $10B back in stock? I understand they want to "prop up" the stock price, it just doesn't seem like a good value when your freezing workers to hypothermia, poisoning most of the inside workers because your too cheap to ventilate the buildings according to industry standards, taking away every little bit of morale boosting incentive we had.

How many newer package cars with a low step could $10B buy? How many guys can hardly walk, or blew their back out because of the high step?

I think employees (many that are shareholders too), should come 1st when it comes to safety and providing a good work environment (physically & mentally).

I think the board of directors just wiped their A** with $10B Large. Is that inaccurate?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm just a caveman {credit s-n-l} so I need someone to explain why the company went public in 1998 and raised $5.5B http://money.cnn.com/1999/11/10/companies/ups/

and

in 2008, a mere 10 years later, the company authorizes to repurchase $10B back in stock? I understand they want to "prop up" the stock price, it just doesn't seem like a good value when your freezing workers to hypothermia, poisoning most of the inside workers because your too cheap to ventilate the buildings according to industry standards, taking away every little bit of morale boosting incentive we had.

How many newer package cars with a low step could $10B buy? How many guys can hardly walk, or blew their back out because of the high step?

I think employees (many that are shareholders too), should come 1st when it comes to safety and providing a good work environment (physically & mentally).

I think the board of directors just wiped their A** with $10B Large. Is that inaccurate?

Your incisive intelligence and insight nailed this.