please explain this to me UPS ers

i have never before worked for a company who prided itself in how many people they can write up in one day and how many succesful terminations they have per month

can somebody please explain why this is a good thing for the company? most people end up getting there jobs back, with back pay, what is the point?

i know sometimes they want to fire people at top pay so they can bring new people in at the newbie pay scale but it still costs alot of money to hire people

what is the point?

i dont think i will retire frm this company as i originally planned

lookin into goin over to ABF

and lol @ whoever says "if you are doing your job you have nothing to worry about" you couldnt be more wrong

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Rule by fear, But for the most part if you stay below the ""radar"" they will move on to the next guy!! Show up on time,do your job as directed using the methods you were trained with.When ?? about speed tell them you are working as safely as possible at MY 100 % not some one else's 100 % You will be fine Good luck!!

dillweed

After many years I've stopped trying to figure out why but it goes on everywhere. Trust me, it's not you. "It's just what it is"

All we can do is try to stay under the radar, which means being quiet when we don't want to. Sucks.

We understand your grief.

overnite is dead

at overnite, if u did your job, that was it, there was nothing to talk about

now its, you do your job but still get pulled in to the office to explain why you did it a certain way or why you did it .004% slower then you did it the day before

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Just smile and say I am doing my best. Sooner if not later they (the sup) will be replaced and you will still be there.The UPS way.

Cezanne

overnite is dead

at overnite, if u did your job, that was it, there was nothing to talk about

now its, you do your job but still get pulled in to the office to explain why you did it a certain way or why you did it .004% slower then you did it the day before
Just be thankful that they haven't "Drawn and Quartered you yet" or the ever so popular "Keel Hauling". Nothing like a good old "Keel Hauling" to get your head straight. :biting:

UPSSOCKS

i have never before worked for a company who prided itself in how many people they can write up in one day and how many succesful terminations they have per month

can somebody please explain why this is a good thing for the company? most people end up getting there jobs back, with back pay, what is the point?

i know sometimes they want to fire people at top pay so they can bring new people in at the newbie pay scale but it still costs alot of money to hire people

what is the point?

and lol @ whoever says "if you are doing your job you have nothing to worry about" you couldnt be more wrong

If we didn't discipline, the company would be long gone. Very few inside operations employees actually care about the customers. I tend to believe most package drivers do, but only because of the daily interaction with the customers. I saw a kid last night walk across packages that were laying on the ground in a feeder. Every step he took damaged a package. I confronted the young man and he smiled and said sorry. He looks at a package and sees work, not a customer. He is the reason it is neccessary to write people up.

The Milkman

what is the point?

Welcome to Ups world. When I started back in 81 my DM told me 3 things. #1 Be here Everyday. # 2 Be here on time #3 And do the best job you can. Well after witnessing all the stuff you mentioned for over 25 years you just have to have the mindset that you are in Boot Camp. Work as directed and CYA.

Whenever I was questioned about my #'s I always said I am doing the best Job I can. I never and I mean never gave them a commitment to do better, just "I am doing the best I can". I retired almost 2 years ago and I worked at companies that went down the tubes before joining Ups and in a way by them keeping us in line and keeping us our toes and made the company a success. Getting a guy to quit they made more $$ by giving rookies less $$ to do the job that was lost... Just my opinion on that matter. They are making it harder for anyone to stay any length of time which benefits them...

whiskey

Welcome to Ups world. When I started back in 81 my DM told me 3 things. #1 Be here Everyday. # 2 Be here on time #3 And do the best job you can. Well after witnessing all the stuff you mentioned for over 25 years you just have to have the mindset that you are in Boot Camp. Work as directed and CYA.

Whenever I was questioned about my #'s I always said I am doing the best Job I can. I never and I mean never gave them a commitment to do better, just "I am doing the best I can". I retired almost 2 years ago and I worked at companies that went down the tubes before joining Ups and in a way by them keeping us in line and keeping us our toes and made the company a success. Getting a guy to quit they made more $$ by giving rookies less $$ to do the job that was lost... Just my opinion on that matter. They are making it harder for anyone to stay any length of time which benefits them...
Making it harder for anyone to stay any length of time benefits UPS, but only in the short term. We provide a service. Having a transient employee base, can only erode our service in the long term. Forced into extinction are route drivers with 15 or more years on the same route. Every route is a little different and they all have subtle changes week to week. They are their own living and breathing animals. The old timers know this and are not happy with the way things are going these days.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I think its for most of the above plus just to thin the ranks. We have had 2 drivers retire in the last 2 years that have not been replaced by a rookie. It would not surprise me to know that recent terminations are not being replaced at all, just bring in laid off rookie.

The Milkman

Making it harder for anyone to stay any length of time benefits UPS, but only in the short term. We provide a service. Having a transient employee base, can only erode our service in the long term. Forced into extinction are route drivers with 15 or more years on the same route. Every route is a little different and they all have subtle changes week to week. They are their own living and breathing animals. The old timers know this and are not happy with the way things are going these days.

I Agree:peaceful:

UPSSOCKS

Wait a minute, who kidnapped SOCKS!!

I'm still the same socks. I still hate the union. The guy out there working to the best of his ability, never will get any crap from me. The guys I go after are the ones that smile and say "I'm doing the best I can," and I know and they know they can do better. The guys I go after are the ones that treat the packages as work and not customers. My decisions and actions always are in the best interest of the company. You union folk base your decisions on what's best for you and the union.

UPSSOCKS

Another thing, if every union member did their jobs to the BEST of their ability, guys like me wouldn't exist. Bad workers keep me employed. You want to get rid of your pric supervisors, do the right things. If this were a perfect world mid/lower management wouldn't exist.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Excellent post. There is a lot more to an area than simply following EDD.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If we didn't discipline, the company would be long gone. Very few inside operations employees actually care about the customers. I tend to believe most package drivers do, but only because of the daily interaction with the customers. I saw a kid last night walk across packages that were laying on the ground in a feeder. Every step he took damaged a package. I confronted the young man and he smiled and said sorry. He looks at a package and sees work, not a customer. He is the reason it is neccessary to write people up.
This is killing me,but your right !!