Popped for DUI

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I have a friend that is a trial attorney and he states that getting/not getting a DUI is a function of "LUCK".

There are blatant cases where someone is hammered and obviously dangerous, but there are many cases of "variables" that result in an arrest.
Cops are people too and when their "superiority" is challenged they react!
Levels of impairment depend upon factors.
A 250 lb. 40 year old man reacts differently than a 125 lb. 20 year old girl.

Just saying, don't be so quick to judge. The OP and anyone that has ever had a DWI/DUI are going through enough already.

Remember: "presumed innocent..........."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You guys make it out like it's some mysterious, holistic process when it's actually pretty simple. Regardless of why the cop initially pulls you over .08% BAC is the limit. If you blow .08% or higher you're getting a DUI ( and you should). Don't want a DUI? Don't drink and drive. No luck involved at all.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I agree. I can't believe so many people are defending this guy...

I have no problem with people going out and having a couple, and then driving home.
BUT if you get a DUI, you gotta wonder how. Was he driving 80 mph in a 30? Was he swerving all over the road? Crossing the center line? If you get a DUI, you got it because you couldn't drive right. You were driving so bad, some cop had to pull you over so you didn't kill somebody.

Too much tragedy and heartache to give someone a pass on this.

Oh yea, you see the people on cops that are really REALLy out of it. People should know when they had way too much. I know when I've too many, and driving is out of the question. Some people dont believe you should drive even after smelling a cork of a wine bottle. I've driven after a few and I know it isnt right and will never do it again even if I drove like a champ.

But like everything else, cops smell you after a pull over, and they decide its worthwhile to give you a bad time. The legal limit is really low, for some the limit by weight can be as low as a single 12oz or lower then a half a beer.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
You guys make it out like it's some mysterious, holistic process when it's actually pretty simple. Regardless of why the cop initially pulls you over .08% BAC is the limit. If you blow .08% or higher you're getting a DUI ( and you should). Don't want a DUI? Don't drink and drive. No luck involved at all.

Is it about "Impairment" or a number? "While Intoxicated" or "Under the Influence"? It varies between people.

That's my point.

Actually, my point is get off the guy's butt. Try to give him some positive comments.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I have a friend that is a trial attorney and he states that getting/not getting a DUI is a function of "LUCK".

There are blatant cases where someone is hammered and obviously dangerous, but there are many cases of "variables" that result in an arrest.
Cops are people too and when their "superiority" is challenged they react!
Levels of impairment depend upon factors.
A 250 lb. 40 year old man reacts differently than a 125 lb. 20 year old girl.

Just saying, don't be so quick to judge. The OP and anyone that has ever had a DWI/DUI are going through enough already.

Remember: "presumed innocent..........."

I couldn't agree more, booze affects everyone differently. Weight, size and age play a huge part in it. Cops, sure are people too, and quite a few of them believe they are above the law then being servents to it. In a way, cops are a lot like these hardcore soups I come across at work. They want to know everything and all things about you at any questioning at the drop of a hat.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I appreciate the agreement Orly, but you cannot compare a UPS Supervisor (Soup) with a Police Officer (Cop).

I appreciate the work the Cops do, but not their tactics, at times

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Is it about "Impairment" or a number?
That's a distinction without a difference. At .08% BAC you're impaired in the eyes of the law. Any objective test of your cognitive and physical abilities would support that judgement.

"While Intoxicated" or "Under the Influence"? It varies between people.
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here, but I suspect that once again it's a distinction without a difference. Some states call it DWI, some call it DUI, but it amounts to the same thing - a BAC of .08% or higher.

rod

Retired 22 years
Or safety, at least they're not sitting at a donut shop ignoring you altogether. BTW, do you visit the "entertainment district" often?

May I add, sorry, this just popped into my head. Do you realize how much less police we would need if more people stayed home MORE often? Those kids getting killed on street corner's, between 11pm and 5am, would still be alive. As would the drunks, their victims, etc...

Please be safe this CHRISTMAS season!

I do visit the "entertainment district" a couple times a week. I'm retired-------not dead. I also work out at YMCA 3 days a week and walk every day. I have a very diverse group of friends. All the way from exercise nuts to drunks. Rich to poor. I hope you aren't trying to tell me I should stay home all the time or live your life style.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I do visit the "entertainment district" a couple times a week. I'm retired-------not dead. I also work out at YMCA 3 days a week and walk every day. I have a very diverse group of friends. All the way from exercise nuts to drunks. Rich to poor. I hope you aren't trying to tell me I should stay home all the time or live your life style.
Go ahead Steve, tell him how he doesn't need a cell phone :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Not at all, but I guess the point I was making flew right over your head, when you THOUGHT I was condemning YOUR lifestyle.

Go ahead Steve, tell him how he doesn't need a cell phone :happy-very:
Don't even get me started!