Possible driver death due to heat

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

FedEx ground drivers are bottom of the barrel. I'm working the other day in a driving rainstorm. Absolutely pouring. Me and a FedEx ground driver at the same house. He walks up and can't be bothered to walk the 5 extra feet to leave the package under the covering at the front door. Tosses the package up the steps and walks away. Guess you get what you pay for. That's what no bennies, no vacation and 500 a week flat gets you these days

Did you do the right thing by the customer and move the package?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Translucent.
Apparently up in the ivory tower looking down you didn't notice the roofs are painted white/unpainted fiberglass. ;)
Newbies!!!
Before your time obviously.
They use to be painted brown with a couple of 9 inch plastic windows.

I did notice where UPS cared enough to start inserting translucent panels that let light in and reflected sunlight.
Looking down from my Ivory tower penthouse.

oldngray

nowhere special
Newbies!!!

I did notice where UPS cared enough to start inserting translucent panels that let light in and reflected sunlight.

Translucent lets light in. Great. No vents to let hot air out. Not so great. UPS refuses to install vents In fear of leaks? Not as if almost every package car didn't already leak in some place.

I just reached one year of seniority. We've had Orion for a little over a year. As soon as I get Edd in the morning I switch to RDO and never look back. I beat their stupid time and miles everyday doing this so they don't touch me with their Orion BS. No I don't run a single step and I take my lunch. Not tooting my horn here just think it's funny that I don't go by Orion one bit and since I over perform their perfect project Orion they can't say :censored2:

Sure one could say "well you get paid hourly" but the route I've been running is bulked out until 1pm most days so finding the little Amazon box in the 4700 section is impossible. Also I'll take getting paid for driving home, showering and eating dinner for damn near two hours after I've clocked out

ManInBrown

I just reached one year of seniority. We've had Orion for a little over a year. As soon as I get Edd in the morning I switch to RDO and never look back. I beat their stupid time and miles everyday doing this so they don't touch me with their Orion BS. No I don't run a single step and I take my lunch. Not tooting my horn here just think it's funny that I don't go by Orion one bit and since I over perform their perfect project Orion they can't say :censored2:
Orion is great. Totally dumbed the job down. Now I barely have to think at all. I'm paid to follow their dumb system and I love it. So does my bank account and 401K

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Newbies!!!

Did you notice the color of the roofs when they used to require all corporate management to ride with drivers at least one day when they are first hired?

At one point, someone decided it was a great idea to just paint the roofs white to reflect the heat. The only thing that did was make it so dark inside the cargo area that you had to burn the dome lights even during the day time. I think they finally crushed the last of those in our building last year.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I can't believe Upstate actually said something I agree with!
The DOT physical really is a joke. They take your vitals, check your eyesight, poke and tap for a couple of minutes, make you drop trou and cough, and send you on your way.
The last visit, my bp was really high. The nurse had me lay down for a few minutes and then checked it again, still high. She then had me rest my arm on the counter (above the level of my heart) for a few minutes, still high. Next was hold it above my head, this time below 140. She said, "There you go, healthy enough to work for 2 more years", and laughed!
I went to my physician soon after that and I'm on bp meds now, so all is good, but I still can't believe what she did so I could "pass" the exam.
I agree with you about the physical being a joke. several years ago I told them so. a couple weeks later I received a certified letter from them stating that I would no longer be accepted as a patient there.

I figured that was a lifesaver. now I go to a real doctor.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Did you do the right thing by the customer and move the package?

Why should he? Let the customer see what type of service they got from FedEx. Plus he's not paid to move competitors packages. You know how many houses a day I see FedEx and USPS packages out in the open , wet etc? If I moved them, I'd add an hour a day and get fired for stealing time.

Let the customer see the difference. Good advertising for ups.

watdaflock?

why cant they put in a solar powered exhaust /circulating fan?
"The benefits do not outweigh the costs."
ups.jpg

What they'd say from the Ivory tower.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have waded through all off these posts and for the most part this is not the time to assign blame. This is a time to educate ourselves on what we need to do to survive the upcoming months.

The company gives lip service to staying hydrated. They provide ice and bottled water to us but they don't ride with to make sure we drink. As responsible adults we must take personal responsibility and drink plenty of water on and off the clock.

In full disclosure, I am a big guy. I will drink a quart of water first thing in the morning. I pack four bottles of water and two bottles of sports drinks in my lunch. I will also carry a half gallon of ice water in a picnic jug. Even with all that water at my disposal, some days it seems that I sweat it out as fast as I put it in.

We are all pressured for our performance. I don't know our fallen sister but I can guess she was like most of us older drivers, just trying to get through the rest of our time until we can retire. We have the experience but at times that is not enough. I find it sad that a couple of posters blaming her without knowing her circumstance.

I have waded through all off these posts and for the most part this is not the time to assign blame. This is a time to educate ourselves on what we need to do to survive the upcoming months.

The company gives lip service to staying hydrated. They provide ice and bottled water to us but they don't ride with to make sure we drink. As responsible adults we must take personal responsibility and drink plenty of water on and off the clock.

In full disclosure, I am a big guy. I will drink a quart of water first thing in the morning. I pack four bottles of water and two bottles of sports drinks in my lunch. I will also carry a half gallon of ice water in a picnic jug. Even with all that water at my disposal, some days it seems that I sweat it out as fast as I put it in.

We are all pressured for our performance. I don't know our fallen sister but I can guess she was like most of us older drivers, just trying to get through the rest of our time until we can retire. We have the experience but at times that is not enough. I find it sad that a couple of posters blaming her without knowing her circumstance.
Great post Joe!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Did you notice the color of the roofs when they used to require all corporate management to ride with drivers at least one day when they are first hired?
Nope.
Did not apply to me.
I had over 20 years in before I went to Corporate.

But, yes, it was easy to see the color of PC roofs from my Corporate penthouse suite.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Agreed ... It is up to each person to ensure their own safety.