Possible driver death due to heat

Orion inc.

I like turtles
What I meant was anyone who thinks the DOT physical is the only one they need is a fool.

Anybody who uses a physical done every two years to gauge their health has bigger issues. I'll agree with you on that. Life is all about balance. Sometimes it's your responsibility to take that balance back

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It will become all too real in 2018.

You really have no idea what you're talking about here. Get ORION first then see if you can make that statement. Incompetent drivers following a crappy software program will lose this company market share and volume. Don't think for a second that examples aren't being documented by the union.

We are not fedex ground. We aren't going to replaced by a bunch of ISP to the race to the bottom no matter how bad you want the company to do that.

Really you don't have the experience with ORION to even come to that conclusion

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How much longer can we remain competitive given the huge difference in our labor costs and the shift in public sentiment toward savings over service?

Ground has proven that the job can be adequately performed at 1/3 of the wage.

Overpaid Union Thug

I've suffered from dehydration once (finished the day though) and from
Anything written in the contract about numbers changing when at a certain heat index?
There is language states UPS must consider oue physical ability. My physical ability diminishes in those conditions.

Some of the comments in this thread are rather sickening. It is possible to be properly hydrated and still fall out in the heat. The trouble starts when people assume that they can just endure the heat and sweat more because they are hydrated before (and during) work. This is not true in the combination of southern heat and humidity. We all have to take breaks from the heat. And I don't just mean lunch breaks. We need to allow our bodies to cool off while working too. When I'm in the back of the truck digging and the heat/sweat starts getting to me I will step out into the cab and cool off. I will drink more fluids and towel off. Sometimes the slightest breeze feels great after spending some time in the cargo hold.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
How much longer can we remain competitive given the huge difference in our labor costs and the shift in public sentiment toward savings over service?

Ground has proven that the job can be adequately performed at 1/3 of the wage.

If you weren't retiring and still had 25 years to go, would you still echo this sentiment?

No because it would affect you. But since you're soon to be out, now you want the company to "be competitive " with wages and benefits.

That's a hypocrite right there.

And to answer your question, as long as they are making billions on billions , I expect them to compensate us at our current level or higher. I could see you having a point if they weren't or in debt etc. but they aren't. The financials are strong and we should be held to our standard for helping build that.

It's not us that needs to come down. It's the others that need to fight to come up to our level or better. FedEx , laser ship etc.

Stop acting like this race to the bottom is good for everyone including the company. It's not. It's not good for our economy or country either.

And seriously your love affair fedex ground is a little sad. Please take your money and go buy a ground route already. You're their biggest supporter on here. UPS should fire you just for that on top of all the dishonest shady things you do on company time

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you weren't retiring and still had 25 years to go, would you still echo this sentiment?

No because it would affect you. But since you're soon to be out, now you want the company to "be competitive " with wages and benefits.

That's a hypocrite right there.

And to answer your question, as long as they are making billions on billions , I expect them to compensate us at our current level or higher. I could see you having a point if they weren't or in debt etc. but they aren't. The financials are strong and we should be held to our standard for helping build that.

It's not us that needs to come down. It's the others that need to fight to come up to our level or better. FedEx , laser ship etc.

Stop acting like this race to the bottom is good for everyone including the company. It's not. It's not good for our economy or country either.

And seriously your love affair fedex ground is a little sad. Please take your money and go buy a ground route already. You're their biggest supporter on here. UPS should fire you just for that on top of all the dishonest shady things you do on company time

Believe it or not I am looking to invest in a small maple syrup company run by my son in law and three of his friends from high school. They have plenty of ambition but are short on capital.

I like the Ground model from a purely business perspective. I do not care for the way it exploits the employees and empowers the contractors.

If I were to invest in anything it would renewable energy.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Believe it or not I am looking to invest in a small maple syrup company run by my son in law and three of his friends from high school. They have plenty of ambition but are short on capital.

I like the Ground model from a purely business perspective. I do not care for the way it exploits the employees and empowers the contractors.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

The FedEx business model is pure crap. It's exploitation. And it's a crap service. My FedEx ground guy whoever he is, throws packages into the bush, missing the front door. On my route they've been through 10 guys in two years

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The FedEx business model is pure crap. It's exploitation. And it's a crap service. My FedEx ground guy whoever he is, throws packages into the bush, missing the front door. On my route they've been through 10 guys in two years

The Ground driver who I see most during the day does a very good job. He is on road when I am driving to work and still out on my way home. We deliver many of the same stops and the customers all like him; in fact, some prefer him over me as he takes the time to chat while I drop and go. He would be an average UPS driver.

Overpaid Union Thug

There could be a separate thread on the the shenanigans of FedEd Ground/HD drivers. It would be a funny thread if we weren't handing those idiots volume on a silver platter.

The Ground driver who I see most during the day does a very good job. He is on road when I am driving to work and still out on my way home. We deliver many of the same stops and the customers all like him; in fact, some prefer him over me as he takes the time to chat while I drop and go. He would be an average UPS driver.
Maybe that's what he says about you?:P

The DOT "physical" is a joke.
I can't believe Upstate actually said something I agree with!
The DOT physical really is a joke. They take your vitals, check your eyesight, poke and tap for a couple of minutes, make you drop trou and cough, and send you on your way.
The last visit, my bp was really high. The nurse had me lay down for a few minutes and then checked it again, still high. She then had me rest my arm on the counter (above the level of my heart) for a few minutes, still high. Next was hold it above my head, this time below 140. She said, "There you go, healthy enough to work for 2 more years", and laughed!
I went to my physician soon after that and I'm on bp meds now, so all is good, but I still can't believe what she did so I could "pass" the exam.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made the mistake of drinking coffee before my last DOT. When they took my BP the first time it was over 140. They retook it at the end and it had fallen to 126.

DOT physicals are nit meant to take the place of a comprehensive annual physical.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sorry to ask this, but did you even leave Davenport city limits when you were there?

Where I live, there is also a lot of concrete and asphalt, but go 1 mile north, south, east, or west and I run into gravel all around.

(Okay, maybe its five miles west of me to hit gravel.)

Iowa is notorious for its country roads being nothing but crushed white rock that is some of the dustiest road base going. I'm sure upstate never got off I-80.

ManInBrown

FedEx ground drivers are bottom of the barrel. I'm working the other day in a driving rainstorm. Absolutely pouring. Me and a FedEx ground driver at the same house. He walks up and can't be bothered to walk the 5 extra feet to leave the package under the covering at the front door. Tosses the package up the steps and walks away. Guess you get what you pay for. That's what no bennies, no vacation and 500 a week flat gets you these days