Possible driver death due to heat

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Far be it for me to agree with a yuk like this clown, but the facts are in, and they are clear: UPS has a job to do. That's all they care about. Now they may throw some interference up, at times, to make it seem like they care; stuff like, make sure you hydrate, eat right and blah blah blah. But we've all worked here long enough. We know the score.

It sucks that a veteran driver passed away at work. It was unnecessary. But the fact remains: there are many, many dragons out there. They care about some things. But you are NOT one of those things.

Does it suck to be a package car driver in brutal heat? Absolutely. Can it be done safely? Yes, it can. But you are on the wrong track if you are thinking the dragons have any sympathy about the heat in the back of a package car. Drivers have btched for decades about getting vent fans put in the tops of the trucks. It's never going to happen. Worrying about it only affects you, the driver.

Every driver needs to take care of themselves. However you need to keep cool, you need to do it. My thing always was dumping a thermos of ice water over my head. Then, going back to QT, to refill my water jug. THAT, I could control.

My numbers, in the dog days of summer, were awful, I'm sure...I never checked or gave a spit. But I know I always clocked out during the dark in the heatwaves. And it got dark late in the summer. I usually got inquiries from the dragon's minions. But I never cared. I let the dragons sweat in their air-conditioned offices about my poor numbers.

All I cared about was keeping cool, as best I could. Only I could do that. And I did it often. A big glass of ice water over your head and down the neck is a magical thing in brutal heat. Do it early and often. It works.

A lot of drivers, for whatever reason, worry about their numbers.

Why? Who knows? Over 30 years in, I still scratch my head at that one. That's a question only a dragon should know the answer to. But if you are one of those drivers, this is the time of year when you should have absolutely NO PROBLEM answering a dragon's questions about your declining numbers.

Whose health, or in this case, life, is at stake?
I agree with you 100% on the ice. I have done it for years. I may not look very professional, but no one does when its this hot, but I will be alive. It is invigorating, and keeps the blood cool. And then you drive away, real fast.....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sir, I offered facts and one opinion.

I got a 12 hour dispatch last Friday. Just so happens that, the high temp for the day was 103 degrees. It was my birthday. It was also my first day back to work after my father's death, the week prior.

They could've done more. They didn't. That's a fact.

I'm not saying this lady's employer caused her death. I AM saying, more could've been done to prevent it.
So sorry Harry on the loss of your father. Thats a tough one. Prayers ♥

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This whole story seems to be total bull. Where is the news report? Message from union leaders or corporate? The whole thing is internet rumor.

OPTION3

Bold position. Stops per car is a fact. Do you disagree? They "could" put on more drivers/routes. That's a fact. They won't though, at least not until late July. (That's an opinion I've based upon conversations I've been privy to)

"They" could do more but, they won't. That's a fact.

I will counter your point on your "feelings" with this. IE who develops the plan and the managers charged with executing that plan could care less about: your feelings, my feelings, or any other employee-at-large's feelings. This is a business and feelings don't make money. That's a fact.

Do you disagree?
This is how those "hard" supervisors live with their conscience ......rationalize the hypocrisy by showing concern for the family, all the while continuing the policies that promoted the tragedy .......if you are in a position of power, and say nothing.....you are evil......live with it....be proud

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

Notcool

Where was this in NC? Just saw the thread... I'm my hub in NC. Last week I heard a driver was taking to the er for passing out...

newfie

Maybe they should use this for the "did you know facts" at the PCM's

this would be good to know and use if it was verifiable. Half of it does not have any sources listed. And I cant google the sources he does list and find the info. Looks like the web page that originally listed it is gone too. How old is this information I see a lot of stuff listed for the 90's?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Somebody post the news story so we can verify.

Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't think we will be seeing it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I work in this local (not in the same building) and area management has been instructed to deny it was heat related; they're claiming it was a cardiac stroke rather than heat stroke. The driver was a female in her 40's/50's. There's been nothing reported in the local news media as of Friday.

I heard about it from a driver before I went into work today -- it has been absolutely miserable in the south (record breaking heat) and we had 4+ people pass out in the hub last night. There's not many details yet, but hopefully they'll surface when/if any local papers start looking into it.

@PiedmontSteward is a reliable source and he has heard of this.
It was in his hub (see post 43).
He stated that nothing was in the news.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
Ok. The facts. She had a stroke at lunch. After her hour was over sup saw that truck was still sitting he called her phone several times then drove out to the location he tried to revive her but was to late. I will post obit if it will make u happy

clean hairy

There was an unfortunate occurance involving a Management person at the Mesquite Hub awhile back.
Never made the news, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.