Possible driver death due to heat

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah. We had a driver die in a motorcycle accident. Just ran right into the back of semi full speed. They think he had a heart attack first. Could just as easily of happened at work but I don't know what good a nation wide pcm would of done.

Nation wide PCM would only happen if UPS felt themselves liable in some way.

azupsgal

exactly . company loves sending us messages about performance. how about a message to hydrate on hot days???? its very easy to get caught up on the job and fall behind on hydrating.
Our center has water and fruit for us in the morning. They also send us messages all day about hydrating.

azupsgal

I do agree that when we are towards the end of our day we are pushing and can easily be over come by the heat if we are not careful.

azupsgal

We had 5 drivers go down in AZ last week. Don't ever think it can't happen to you. Listen to your body. Drivers need to also eat something light. I bring a lot of fruit with me. Hunger can be a factor in going down.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
This is how those "hard" supervisors live with their conscience ......rationalize the hypocrisy by showing concern for the family, all the while continuing the policies that promoted the tragedy .......if you are in a position of power, and say nothing.....you are evil......live with it....be proud
You're like a broken record.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We had 5 drivers go down in AZ last week. Don't ever think it can't happen to you. Listen to your body. Drivers need to also eat something light. I bring a lot of fruit with me. Hunger can be a factor in going down.
its the loss of blood sugar that took me out one time and it happened fast. felt fine and then sweating around forehead and felt cold at same time. almost passed out.

now I eat fruit or have a candy bar and immediately feel good.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
She died 3 days ago and I bet she hasn't made one PCM outside her district.
If it made every PCM in the company there would be posters saying "Oh UPS didn't care, they're just acting like they care."

My PCM tonight will include ensuring you see a doctor to make sure you are healthy. But you know what I'm gonna get? A bunch of employees rolling their eyes. Nobody gives a crap about the PCMs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If it made every PCM in the company there would be posters saying "Oh UPS didn't care, they're just acting like they care."

My PCM tonight will include ensuring you see a doctor to make sure you are healthy. But you know what I'm gonna get? A bunch of employees rolling their eyes. Nobody gives a crap about the PCMs.
Then why have them
Total waste of time imo

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

I like the pcms. I think the older drivers do too. the younger ones are like your teenagers. they'll be wishing they listened years from now.

azupsgal

All I can say is go out prepared for the elements. In the end it's up to us to take care of ourselves. It's not just while we are on the clock. It's also what we eat and drink while we are off the clock. Find out what works for you. It's not the company's job to take care of us. We choose this line of work.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All I can say is go out prepared for the elements. In the end it's up to us to take care of ourselves. It's not just while we are on the clock. It's also what we eat and drink while we are off the clock. Find out what works for you. It's not the company's job to take care of us. We choose this line of work.
While I totally agree with personal responsibility, I do think driver deaths of any nature should be mentioned at the pcm.
Now there is a safety PCM about the guy who got hit behind his vehicle.
Instead of making us stretch, while most of us do that before we get there, its a joke.
Or talking about the stupid crashes, and low hanging limbs, dog bites, and rolled ankles, how about a serious PCM, about real dangers.
And on a side note, I did notice pallets of water brought in, the last few days. How about an ice machine.......Goodness its a write off.