Possible driver death due to heat

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I will agree with Dave there, I've absolutely outworked the young guns on way more than one occasion.

But on the flip side, I guarantee that I can pull no less than five dudes in Dave's Center who could do a far superior job if the price was right.
200XCGH.gif

Copperpipes

Getting reports of a driver that was taken off life support in NC around 2pm today. Anyone confirm this, if so please keep the family in your prayers.

Update: apparently someone made a post on the vote no Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook and honestly have no idea how to use it.
This is true. I went to her memorial service yesterday. Been with UPS FOR 25 years. 55 years old.
Getting reports of a driver that was taken off life support in NC around 2pm today. Anyone confirm this, if so please keep the family in your prayers.

Update: apparently someone made a post on the vote no Facebook page. I'm not on Facebook and honestly have no idea how to use it.

Copperpipes

I work in this local (not in the same building) and area management has been instructed to deny it was heat related; they're claiming it was a cardiac stroke rather than heat stroke. The driver was a female in her 40's/50's. There's been nothing reported in the local news media as of Friday.

I heard about it from a driver before I went into work today -- it has been absolutely miserable in the south (record breaking heat) and we had 4+ people pass out in the hub last night. There's not many details yet, but hopefully they'll surface when/if any local papers start looking into it.
Autopsy came back accidental death from a blow to the head. Cardiac stroke was ruled out. Probably collapsed from heat, struck her head.....possibly from crawling out of cargo area. Found lying on concrete until they could locate her, then wait for EMS to get there......100 degree day. We had 16 consecutive days of 97-100 degree days. She was to be 56 next month. It was Thursday, she already had 40+ hrs.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Autopsy came back accidental death from a blow to the head. Cardiac stroke was ruled out. Probably collapsed from heat, struck her head.....possibly from crawling out of cargo area. Found lying on concrete until they could locate her, then wait for EMS to get there......100 degree day. We had 16 consecutive days of 97-100 degree days. She was to be 56 next month. It was Thursday, she already had 40+ hrs.
UPS would never try and cover up anything( YEAH RIGHT LIARS LOL) sad that this happened but hopefully it gets plenty od exposure and her family or loved ones get what they have coming from UPS for an accidental death. Been saying it for years they need to lower the retirement age all across the board to age 50. You start getting over the age of 50 its a lot harder to deal with the physicality and conditions this job puts on you. THEIR A BUNCH OF STUPIDASCZZ IDIOTS lol.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Found lying on concrete until they could locate her, then wait for EMS to get there......100 degree day. We had 16 consecutive days of 97-100 degree days. She was to be 56 next month. It was Thursday, she already had 40+ hrs.

The humidity on top of the triple digit temps is no joke. Luckily I have only experienced prickly heat, and that sucks (insert expletive deleted). It feels like being stabbed with hundreds of needles at once with some itching.

Makes me wonder if she has had a lower level heat-related injury (heat cramps or heat exhaustion) before; because once it happens, you are even more susceptible to them occuring.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The humidity on top of the triple digit temps is no joke. Luckily I have only experienced prickly heat, and that sucks (insert expletive deleted). It feels like being stabbed with hundreds of needles at once with some itching.

Makes me wonder if she has had a lower level heat-related injury (heat cramps or heat exhaustion) before; because once it happens, you are even more susceptible to them occuring.
They will try n pay the family off some hush hush money, so it don't hit a lot of exposure everywhere.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If that's true then I don't know what to say. Unreal.
I do, it is called sad. I call off if I have 40 on thursday. Someone besides me is not doing their job. Especially when it is unusually hot, or cold. These things have to be considered. You cant just have 6 pallets of water hauled in and say you did your best. And then try to hold everyone to some stupid, pulled out of your arse imaginary number of what you think should have been achieved.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do not expect the numbers you want. We are human. We still feel pain, even if you do not in your air conditioned office. We will get it done, we need you to give us a break, we are not machines. We feel pain, heat, and cold. Unlike you who only feel a call from some guy above you, above him, and above him, for a number on a paper. Screw that. We will be here long after you are gone because we are smart. We survive, yes it is not rocket science, but it is tough out here in weather conditions, you know nothing about.

wayfair

swollen member

1. Basics
Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Heatstroke symptoms include:

• High body temperature. A body temperature of 104 friend (40 C) or higher is the main sign of heatstroke.
  • Altered mental state or behavior. Confusion, agitation, slurred speech, irritability, delirium, seizures and coma can all result from heatstroke.
  • Alteration in sweating. In heatstroke brought on by hot weather, your skin will feel hot and dry to the touch. However, in heatstroke brought on by strenuous exercise, your skin may feel moist.
  • Nausea and vomiting. You may feel sick to your stomach or vomit.
  • Flushed skin. Your skin may turn red as your body temperature increases.
  • Rapid breathing. Your breathing may become rapid and shallow.
  • Racing heart rate. Your pulse may significantly increase because heat stress places a tremendous burden on your heart to help cool your body.
  • Headache. Your head may throb.

wayfair

swollen member
Do not expect the numbers you want. We are human. We still feel pain, even if you do not in your air conditioned office. We will get it done, we need you to give us a break, we are not machines. We feel pain, heat, and cold. Unlike you who only feel a call from some guy above you, above him, and above him, for a number on a paper. Screw that. We will be here long after you are gone because we are smart. We survive, yes it is not rocket science, but it is tough out here in weather conditions, you know nothing about.
exactly, brown up, pull some stops off so you can get acclimated to the heat, and ride with me all day. I'll have plenty of water and now a lot of places that I can use as a cool zone. Work will get done, I take pride in the work I do and get it done. so boss, quit messing with me and learn a few things...

I do, it is called sad. I call off if I have 40 on thursday. Someone besides me is not doing their job. Especially when it is unusually hot, or cold. These things have to be considered. You cant just have 6 pallets of water hauled in and say you did your best. And then try to hold everyone to some stupid, pulled out of your arse imaginary number of what you think should have been achieved.

This is why there needs to be an excessive heat clause in the contract. Dispatches should be reduced when the temperature is forecast to be above 90-95 degrees, instead of cutting routes and adding 30 stops like they do now.