Possible driver death due to heat

Johney

I work in this local (not in the same building) and area management has been instructed to deny it was heat related; they're claiming it was a cardiac stroke rather than heat stroke. The driver was a female in her 40's/50's. There's been nothing reported in the local news media as of Friday.

I heard about it from a driver before I went into work today -- it has been absolutely miserable in the south (record breaking heat) and we had 4+ people pass out in the hub last night. There's not many details yet, but hopefully they'll surface when/if any local papers start looking into it.

Possibly so. My only point is someone with that much experience driving, that's a lot of summers. I'm confident a driver with that many years has experienced overheating before.

Why she allowed herself to get to that point is the question. No manager or steward is worried more about their numbers than a driver dying.

I'm sure some around here will disagree with the bolded statement above too....
HMMMM.

10 point

Possibly so. My only point is someone with that much experience driving, that's a lot of summers. I'm confident a driver with that many years has experienced overheating before.

Why she allowed herself to get to that point is the question. No manager or steward is worried more about their numbers than a driver dying.

I'm sure some around here like Indecisi0n will disagree with the bolded statement above too....
I don't disagree.
About management/steward statement I say::bsbullf:and more :bsbullf:!

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
So you are comparing trained conditioned soldiers to ups workers? Not the same thing.

A driver from my home town is middle eastern and volunteered with the marines a few years back because he speaks a couple of middle eastern dialects.

When he was in training he was in Nevada during desert marches with full gear. Marine after marine was dropping out due to the heat. At one point he had two full rucks, and a marine on each arm trying to help them continue. When they asked him why the hell he hadn't dropped out he told them "this ain't nothin' I'm a ups driver in south florida."

We are very well acclimated to our local weather conditions

Indecisi0n

A driver from my home town is middle eastern and volunteered with the marines a few years back because he speaks a couple of middle eastern dialects.

When he was in training he was in Nevada during desert marches with full gear. Marine after marine was dropping out due to the heat. At one point he had two full rucks, and a marine on each arm trying to help them continue. When they asked him why the hell he hadn't dropped out he told them "this ain't nothin' I'm a ups driver in south florida."

We are very well acclimated to our local weather conditions

If one guy can do it then everyone can do it. Are you management?

watdaflock?

We are very well conditioned to our local weather conditions

Great post.

You become conditioned to the heat and humidity with years of experience, no doubt about it. That experience also means you can recognize when your core temperature is rising.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
If one guy can do it then everyone can do it. Are you management?
No, was never even dumb enough to consider it like some people.

Experience is key.

It's not her fault.
It's not managements fault.
It's a sad tragedy.
It could have been prevented.
EDIT if it is just heat related it could have been prevented
There's more to it than just heat I'm sure. Maybe a contributing factor but not the sole factor.

watdaflock?

No, was never even dumb enough to consider it like some people.

Experience is key.

It's not her fault.
It's not managements fault.
It's a sad tragedy.
It could have been prevented.
There's more to it than just heat I'm sure. Maybe a contributing factor but not the sole factor.

Great post.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Its this damned ORION! Loads are already very poor quality anyway, now we have to search ALL OVER the back of the package car for each stop. Because of some stupid ass algorithm or software. Give me a bre....... never mind Give me 25 more stops. Gotta be friend!@%ing kidding me.

P

pickup

Sorry I don't buy it. I grew up on a farm. Try baling hay in this heat for 12 hours.

Plus, these guys in full gear while in Iraq were able to hydrate.
DrinkingWater031208.jpg

Apparently, even with the ability to hydrate, they still had problems with heat stroke: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-08-07-iraq-heat-inside_x.htm

Retiree

Anyone that is in good health, eats properly, sleeps properly and hydrates properly, should have no issues with heat other than being uncomfortable. In my 37 years, employees that had heat issues were deficient in one or more of these areas or had a co-morbid medical condition.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So? What is your point? All those old folks should have studies in school more?
If she graduated HS in 77 she is probably late 50's at that. Someone that old with so much seniority should easily have recognized the signs of over heating and gotten their core temp down.

Next you'll tell us she should have been wearing proper footwear.

Go back to preload and leave the drivers alone. You have no idea and probably never will.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Anyone that is in good health, eats properly, sleeps properly and hydrates properly, should have no issues with heat other than being uncomfortable. In my 37 years, employees that had heat issues were deficient in one or more of these areas or had a co-morbid medical condition.

It also looks like in 37 years you started following the company line of "blame the worker."

Shame on someone that has the life experience to know better.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
A lot of ignorance on here, especially the part timer that has fans blowing on him for his 3.5 hrs of torture. I'm a native of South Florida, when the bad beat starts its hard enough to do my weekend yardwork for 2 hrs without overheating, and that's stopping , and sitting in front fan when I need to. We have a job that does not allow us to stop and cool down whenever we feel the need.The ventilation in the trucks is pathetic, we wear dark brown, we work during the hottest part of the day, and with Orion spend more time than ever in the pc oven. Conditioning , hearing a lot of that. Should every driver sit in a sauna and do physical activities, in intervals ,to acclimate there body for summer heat? It's a lie to say our work environment and culture are not at fault.