Possible driver death due to heat

9.5er

I understand we "condition" ourselves to our environment. I tell my customers all the time that I'm used to it when they ask about the heat.
But one thing to think about. The temps in NC are breaking records for an all time high. And on top of that it was in the 70's and 80's not even 2 weeks ago.

I used to like me back in the day before n one of those hot mothers when you got the truck cleared out you could open u the bulkhead and read door. Cleared out the dust and heat in one swoop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to like me back in the day before n one of those hot mothers when you got the truck cleared out you could open u the bulkhead and read door. Cleared out the dust and heat in one swoop.

I will admit to doing this one more than one occasion when I had my country run. The breeze cleaned out the cargo area and felt really good.

We have been informed at our PCMs that taking a drink is an in cab distraction and we are to refrain from drinking while the truck is moving. But yet we are supposed to stay hydrated?
Call your business agent and have him talk to the labor manager. Inform them at the pcm that if that is their stance the you will file a grievance if they are going to use discipline.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call your business agent and have him talk to the labor manager. Inform they at the pcm that if that is their stance the you will file a grievance if they are going to use discipline.

....or you could either wait until you get to your next stop or safely pull over to take a drink....

Last edited:

iowa boy

Does it really take that long to take a drink at a delivery stop?

Upstate, the route I ran this last week is set up so you can have 15 to 20 minutes of drive time between stops at certain points and is 75 percent gravel, how am I supposed to stay hydrated by only taking drinks at the delivery stops?

Don't get me wrong, I will drink when I need to, not when I'm told I can by some armchair bozo sitting in his or her 75 degree office when I'm sucking up dust by having the doors open or closing the doors and cooking in the brown oven.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate, the route I ran this last week is set up so you can have 15 to 20 minutes of drive time between stops at certain points and is 75 percent gravel, how am I supposed to stay hydrated by only taking drinks at the delivery stops?

Don't get me wrong, I will drink when I need to, not when I'm told I can by some armchair bozo sitting in his or her 75 degree office when I'm sucking up dust by having the doors open or closing the doors and cooking in the brown oven.

I didn't see a whole lot of gravel roads when I visited my son in Davenport.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
....or you could either wait until you get to your next stop or pull over to take a drink....

Pulling over to take a drink is an unexpected change in traffic flow and could actually increase the risk of an accident with nearby vehicles.

I love those idiots that pull over to use their cell, but park in the worst possible place.

middle of a curve, just before an intersection, halfway along a merge lane

iowa boy

I didn't see a whole lot of gravel roads when I visited my son in Davenport.

Sorry to ask this, but did you even leave Davenport city limits when you were there?

Where I live, there is also a lot of concrete and asphalt, but go 1 mile north, south, east, or west and I run into gravel all around.

(Okay, maybe its five miles west of me to hit gravel.)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry to ask this, but did you even leave Davenport city limits when you were there?

Where I live, there is also a lot of concrete and asphalt, but go 1 mile north, south, east, or west and I run into gravel all around.

Other than going back and forth to the airport in Moline? Not really. We were going to go to Chicago but decided to stay in the local area instead.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm in an area of Florida where the heat index gets close to 110 and the humidity is insane for 9 months of the year. You learn to drink water way before start time and keep drinking water after you punch out in those months. During the insane heat times, I couldn't care about numbers or production, I'll usually drink water at each stop whether with a bottle in the cab, or a huge hug with ice in the back.

Know your limits, cold towels and cold water on your arteries points will cool down fast. I alternate water and Gatorade. Also a very cold can of low sodium V-8 will replenish all the stuff you're sweating out. My wife hates the summers because I go through so many shirts in a day.

I don't care if a supervisor is yelling or screaming at me about useless metrics, in the heat my safety and health come first. I recognize when I've gone too far and I'll stop in some AC and catch myself. Any union steward worth his weight in gold when have a field day with management if they got on a driver for hydrating or cooling down in the heat. It's in UPS's own safety methods. They love contradicting themselves but a good steward usually points that out.

watdaflock?

And, those are your experiences.

It's almost inconceivable, that you could postulate and post some of your thoughts.

I will let Brown Cafe.... deal with your callous retorts.

Right now, I am at a loss for words.
Oh my bad. I thought a forum was for posting your thoughts.

Let me stick to the normal approved union mentality of no thought-

prayers go out.

watdaflock?

Next you'll tell us she should have been wearing proper footwear.

Go back to preload and leave the drivers alone. You have no idea and probably never will.
mmhmm

I'm sure you as a UPS driver knows more about being in tune with your bodies condition. That is what we are talking about after all. Unfortunately the UPS driver who died was not up to your level.

Curious what is your resting heart rate, weight and height?