Post Office Deliveries

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I remember when we delivered all the package to the customers---not to the Post Office. Has anyone ever figured out how many jobs have been lost because of that hair brained idea.
I can't say we have actually LOST any. Maybe not gained quite a few but that's also assuming we would be delivering all of that volume not fedex.

snl blue

Actually this is alot in the grand scheme of things....The post office is getting too much of our work and the few things the union supposedly "won" for us in the last contract to address sure post was a joke....There has to be millions of packages going to the post office a year now...less teamster jobs no matter how you spin it

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That is by design. They hold the Surepost packages that will paired with other packages for the same stop the next day. Brings some of the work back to the drivers.
I think he means that the pkgs have been known to sit at the post office after ups has delivered them.

snl blue

Coldworld you hit the nail on the head with this one. The union yells we need more jobs then they just conveniently let the company cut routes and send more and more to the post offices.

toxic88

I have a USPS on my route and I delivered about 1000 pkgs to them today and about 800 yesterday. Compared to last year, this is by far the most they have received. The guy at the dock couldn't believe how much they were receiving. It took me 2 hours to unload and scan that stop. Easy money but lots of UPS jobs lost.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Coldworld you hit the nail on the head with this one. The union yells we need more jobs then they just conveniently let the company cut routes and send more and more to the post offices.
I understand we have to have this service since FedEx has one and is aggressive with it but ups is abusing this. It was suppose to be for rural and semi rural but they are using it for in town and businesses which was suppose to be changed in this last contract. They are changing almost every acct over to this and I wonder if some of the businesses even have a choice on the matter...who knows.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have a USPS on my route and I delivered about 1000 pkgs to them today and about 800 yesterday. Compared to last year, this is by far the most they have received. The guy at the dock couldn't believe how much they were receiving. It took me 2 hours to unload and scan that stop. Easy money but lots of UPS jobs lost.
I think many people aren't seeing the job loss because of the hiring that they have done the last year or two but these are jobs that are being replaced from the hiring freeze and recent retirements. Even if we could keep 50% of the packages that are going to the post office they would have to hire a few more drivers. If you have a package that is going to 123 main st and there are 2 smart post packages going to the same street we should be taking these....and I know that on a few they do change over to have brown deliver but most of what we deliver are sure post that is going to the same address as another ups ground pkg. I don't know if during the contract negotiations if ups told the union how many pkgs were going to the PO monthly (really doubt it) but I think we all would be VERY surprised...and this service is going to get bigger. Lots of you guys say how most of our residents stops are amazon...well its because we are loosing all of these other shippers to the post office....

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I can't say we have actually LOST any. Maybe not gained quite a few but that's also assuming we would be delivering all of that volume not fedex.
Brown..I think there is a way for much of that stuff to come back to brown drivers and send SOME to the PO and have them hire a few more people and be profitable and do the customer right all at the same time but the union hasn't put enough stipulations on it and the company is taking major advantage with it. One of the unions ideas of winning better language with this was not having large boxes over a certain size go surepost...well not sure about any of you guys but I never really saw an oversize surepost box anyway. Oh and if FedEx stopped the service ups would have to follow...that is what they won for us...next contract it needs to be a percentage of volume that can go to the post office...it shouldn't be unlimited which is what it is now

Brownslave688

rod

Retired 22 years

I would have to disagree. I would think hundreds if not thousands of jobs have been lost by giving this business to the post office. I will agree that it probably is a very good thing for the company but it isn't good at all for hourly workers. I can't believe the Union has been silent about it.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The union doesn't really get to tell ups how to run their business.

No it doesn't tell them. But, it needs to make adjustments. Not wait for the end of a contract to say"hey big bad UPS you are costing UPSers jobs " As they did supposedly this new contract. I just see it as a little shuffle job. Where UPS juggles a few our way. If they do shift to stores it MAY, Be a big load at the store. Much like at the post office now.

Brownslave688

No it doesn't tell them. But, it needs to make adjustments. Not wait for the end of a contract to say"hey big bad UPS you are costing UPSers jobs " As they did supposedly this new contract. I just see it as a little shuffle job. Where UPS juggles a few our way. If they do shift to stores it MAY, Be a big load at the store. Much like at the post office now.
The difference is the post office employees are doing our work.

Say you drop 500 packages at a certified drop point. How is that different than a hospital accepting everything at the dock or a mail room taking everything for a building?

It's a fine line but the union has very little say in how the company actually operates.

3 done 3 to go

Its different cause the boxes are for the hospital. Not for the community to come and get their boxes. As every thing else UPS does. It will be abused by them. Just like rural remote and sure post. Which equals routes cut. I may not be affected by it. You and future employees will be

Jigawatts

I think he means that the pkgs have been known to sit at the post office after ups has delivered them.

Nope, they sit in our facility for an extra day. Package is unloaded, scanned with the imprinter by the sorter, the spa/hin or whatever you call it is crossed out by the loader before tossed in a truck. Then that truck is unloaded the next day and the package is re-spad/re-hinned or whatever you call it.

Imagine being the customer waiting for a package that should be delivered on a Tuesday but you end up waiting until Thursday.

3 done 3 to go

Nope, they sit in our facility for an extra day. Package is unloaded, scanned with the imprinter by the sorter, the spa/hin or whatever you call it is crossed out by the loader before tossed in a truck. Then that truck is unloaded the next day and the package is re-spad/re-hinned or whatever you call it.

Imagine being the customer waiting for a package that should be delivered on a Tuesday but you end up waiting until Thursday.

I believe it would be the customers fault for not choosing the service they want. Everyone in the world knows the post office is slow as a snail. It is government established. We all expect it

Probably hoping that,we have a regular delivery for that stop. More money for UPS.