Post Office Deliveries

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its different cause the boxes are for the hospital. Not for the community to come and get their boxes. As every thing else UPS does. It will be abused by them. Just like rural remote and sure post. Which equals routes cut. I may not be affected by it. You and future employees will be
I don't think its a good business decision. Most people won't want to go pick up their packages. Hell they rarely open the door in time to grab it from us.

If the company wants to run only 10 routes out of your center, have everyone come in at 9.5 and sheet everything left as missed they can. It doesn't make sense and it cuts jobs but they can do it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I believe it would be the customers fault for not choosing the service they want. Everyone in the world knows the post office is slow as a snail. It is government established. We all expect it
I have paid for regular ground shipping and the package has come sure post. ..I think many of these companies are banking the savings between ground and sure post pricing...charging you a ground rate but doing it through sure post although I'm sure "free" shipping has some effect here also.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is true, but I think it's unnecessary for a package to sit at a UPS facility for an extra day. That should not happen.
Many customers are realizing that sure post is not reliable and gives ups a black eye when used in the same sentence as the post office....I have had many customers comment on this.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The union doesn't really get to tell ups how to run their business.
I know that a few years back ups was trying to shut down some night sorts in different locations and the union came in and saved some of these operations from closing down..they should have SOME say if it effects staffing levels or jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The difference is the post office employees are doing our work.

Say you drop 500 packages at a certified drop point. How is that different than a hospital accepting everything at the dock or a mail room taking everything for a building?

It's a fine line but the union has very little say in how the company actually operates.

This is the first time I have heard this analogy and it does make a lot of sense. One of the main differences is leaving everything at a dock or mail room for a single address is a smart business move. There are those on this forum who contend that SurePost is volume that we otherwise would have never had and that we were only offering it because our competitor has SmartPost and perhaps that was the original intent. We all know that SurePost has morphed in to something much bigger.

We are getting more of that volume back but not nearly as much as we should be delivering ourselves.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This is the first time I have heard this analogy and it does make a lot of sense. One of the main differences is leaving everything at a dock or mail room for a single address is a smart business move. There are those on this forum who contend that SurePost is volume that we otherwise would have never had and that we were only offering it because our competitor has SmartPost and perhaps that was the original intent. We all know that SurePost has morphed in to something much bigger.

We are getting more of that volume back but not nearly as much as we should be delivering ourselves.
We were not talking about surepost though. We were talking about the customer pick up locations that ups has said are coming next year.

O

OLDMAN3

My center was a horror show. I was just over 10 and I was in early, guys over 12. But lucky for UPS we were able to cut routes and send a few guys home. More brilliance from the higher ups as Peak starts.
We have half our guys bringing stuff back to stay under 14 hours. They made a big deal out of hiring a bunch of new drivers this summer only to disqualify many of them; brilliant.

O

OLDMAN3

I have 3 post offices. One gets 2 bags plus a hand full. Another gets a hand full. The last gets a bag plus a couple boxes. My last po closes at noon. Now I deliver all the packages to resi 's. Because I don't get there till after 5 pm or so
Yep, Pull them out of the bag and deliver them. They are the smallest, easiest boxes all day.

I have taken over 400 to PO every day this week.. some im looking at as I scan and there on my route.. I have a big subdivision with around 175 200 stops... would have more if they pulled the surepost like they are supposed to do... today me and the mailman pulled up to a house at the same time he started laughing and said you just brought this one to PO this morning why didn't you keep it.... but yet they will cut a single surepost to me 5mi away from regular stop... :ban: