PRAYING FOR A STRIKE IN AUGUST !!!

542thruNthru

Kill yourself you POS

tenor-8.gif

tenor-9.gif

brownIEman

Just a quick bit of math for all you strike no matter what cheer leaders.

In '97 UPS held about 80% of the small package market. Which means when we stopped moving packages, the infrastructure that had been moving 20% of the volume (UPS' competition) had to try and move that other 80% as well. They failed miserably.

Today that math is nearly reversed. UPS' market share is just North of 20%. So when you go on strike this time, it will be the infrastructure of the 80ish % trying to pick up that extra volume. Still a big task, but much more doable.

Likely, much more of the volume will move by other means than happened in 97. Which also means much more will not come back after the strike.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

In '97 UPS held about 80% of the small package market. Which means when we stopped moving packages, the infrastructure that had been moving 20% of the volume (UPS' competition) had to try and move that other 80% as well. They failed miserably.

Today that math is nearly reversed. UPS' market share is just North of 20%. So when you go on strike this time, it will be the infrastructure of the 80ish % trying to pick up that extra volume. Still a big task, but much more doable.

Likely, much more of the volume will move by other means than happened in 97. Which also means much more will not come back after the strike.

Do you do this on your own or does the machine pay you to post your drivel

ski or die

Ski or Die

That should make you quite happy when they send you out on the PC to deliver because by your estimates the volume will be very little. The last time in 97, management seemed to have a lot of problems making commitments on deliveries. At least you won't have to put in for the 9.5 list with so little volume that you expect.

brownIEman

That should make you quite happy when they send you out on the PC to deliver because by your estimates the volume will be very little. The last time in 97, management seemed to have a lot of problems making commitments on deliveries. At least you won't have to put in for the 9.5 list with so little volume that you expect.

Never said it would be a small amount of volume. I was pointing out that the infrastructure of our competitors is vastly larger now than it was back then, so their ability to handle the influx from our customers trying to switch to them will be much greater this time around.

Never said it would be a small amount of volume. I was pointing out that the infrastructure of our competitors is vastly larger now than it was back then, so their ability to handle the influx from our customers trying to switch to them will be much greater this time around.
That infrastructure they have now is used to push their greater volume load. Again, you need to use volume numbers and market share numbers.

brownIEman

That infrastructure they have now is used to push their greater volume load. Again, you need to use volume numbers and market share numbers.

OK.
Fedex, according to their website does about 14 million pieces a day. Their peak day almost twice that. Lets say just 21 million for peak day. UPS does about 20M per day. So Fedex goes into peak mode in a strike, they can pick up roughly 7 million pieces a day. The post office does even more than UPS does in delivery, but they don't have the backbone network for huge amounts of packages, so lets only give them 4 million. That's still over half the UPS volume and that is only 2 competitors. It does not include the Lazerships, On-Track, Amazon Delivery, Uber delivery and all the rest that currently exist and will pop up to try and take the business in a strike.

I don't think they can get it all, at least not right away. But their ability to ramp up and take a large chunk of it is much greater than it was in 1997.

OK.
Fedex, according to their website does about 14 million pieces a day. Their peak day almost twice that. Lets say just 21 million for peak day. UPS does about 20M per day. So Fedex goes into peak mode in a strike, they can pick up roughly 7 million pieces a day. The post office does even more than UPS does in delivery, but they don't have the backbone network for huge amounts of packages, so lets only give them 4 million. That's still over half the UPS volume and that is only 2 competitors. It does not include the Lazerships, On-Track, Amazon Delivery, Uber delivery and all the rest that currently exist and will pop up to try and take the business in a strike.

I don't think they can get it all, at least not right away. But their ability to ramp up and take a large chunk of it is much greater than it was in 1997.
On track cannot keep employees. Were I do 235 stops in 10 hours. On track does 75 in over 12 hours. Of the 12 post offices ive delivered to the last 5 year, they cannot handle the pkg volume they have now. Amazon and Uber would look good delivering 2-130lb trampling boxes.

Where will they get the extra work force? UPS could not hire during peak. I hear other did too.

542thruNthru

Well then the company ( that you no longer work for if I remember correctly) needs to start treating us like human beings. It's not even really about the money which most would tell you. I'm sick of being treated like a dog and a liar every day I come into work.

Maybe corporate needs to open their eyes and see what we're really treated like in operations. Yes we make good money but so do lots of professions I'm sure they get treated with more respect then we do.

I literally have been told I'm a sack of S* by my center manager and other things by my ORS. But hey we get our fair share so we have to deal with it.

brownIEman

On track cannot keep employees. Were I do 235 stops in 10 hours. On track does 75 in over 12 hours. Of the 12 post offices ive delivered to the last 5 year, they cannot handle the pkg volume they have now. Amazon and Uber would look good delivering 2-130lb trampling boxes.

Where will they get the extra work force? UPS could not hire during peak. I hear other did too.

I get it, they have issues. I'm just saying there is a lot more delivery capacity outside of UPS now than there was 21 years ago. I am just hoping the vote no on any contract, strike no matter what the offer cheer leaders can understand it is a different market today.

As to the 130 pound trampolines, those are the first ones that will NOT be taken by the competition, so that when the strike ends, they will have all sat waiting for you to come back to work and your ratio of them to other packages will be that much higher. So you have that to look forward to...

Turdferguson

Just a turd

You have any links to back those figures up? Otherwise your just pulling numbers out of your ass. Typical I.E gobbledygook