PRAYING FOR A STRIKE IN AUGUST !!!

john chesney

Economic strikers defined. If the object of a strike is to obtain from the employer some economic concession such as higher wages, shorter hours, or better working conditions, the striking employees are called economic strikers. They retain their status as employees and cannot be discharged, but they can be replaced by their employer. If the employer has hired bona fide permanent replacements who are filling the jobs of the economic strikers when the strikers apply unconditionally to go back to work, the strikers are not entitled to reinstatement at that time. However, if the strikers do not obtain regular and substantially equivalent employment, they are entitled to be recalled to jobs for which they are qualified when openings in such jobs occur if they, or their bargaining representative, have made an unconditional request for their reinstatement.
You never call a strike over economic conditions. Even if it is you NEVER admit that

watdaflock?

Hello all , I'm no different than any of you guys other than I got big cojones (just a personal observation of my 43 year old self ) . Proud to be a 25 year full time Teamster (shifter) and a 24 year Steward at Local 480 (White's Creek) . My brothers and I walked the line in 97 , beat on scabs trailers , blocked supervisors from driving into our hub , tossed nails into the entrance to flatten tires , slingshot wheel bearings at the bright flood lights the company positioned into place to watch us picketing , drank plenty of adult beverages , grilled out and ate well in our makeshift camps etc. etc. . I could only imagine the fun we would have this go around , "IF" we are ordered to strike . Of course I already gave a big "YES" vote to the recently mailed out strike authorization, without that we don't give our representatives any leverage at all , it's like showing up to a gunfight , with no bullets or gun and blindfolded . Personally I do not wish for a strike , unfortunately the company we work for , with all their unreasonable numbers they put on us from unloading packages, Orion, idle times , backing , air , etc etc are incredibly unrealistic forced on us by nerds in cubicles at corporate in Atlanta who have never performed any of these jobs physically (Tetris on your kids IPAD does not count as loading a trailer IMHO.) Striking atleast once in a career UPSer should be a necessary requirement , for the simple fact of showing what actual "UNITY" can achieve ,and yes I do agree the 97 strike did not achieve much , but it did show the company and us Teamsters as well that the consequences can be devastating (losing customers ,revenue,trust etc etc) . But now is the time to get the most bang for our buck ,meaning the company has invested BILLION$$$$ into our infrastructure with planes , tractors , package cars and let's not forget all the new Hubs and expansions to existing hubs like my own hell hole (White's Creek Nashville Tennessee). We have their backs to the wall . With a nationwide shortage of CDL licensed drivers , the company's rigorous package car numbers/expectations ,not to mention the "failure to launch MELINNIUAL Generation kids , the company will be hurting for reliable licensed folks to run our loads/routes which are already hard,unreasonable ,unrealistic to begin with . Also but lets not forget the more important aspect of with President Trumps tax cuts to big business , other company's AT&T , Boeing ,Wal Mart (long list , Google it ) most of those company's gave out bonuses to their employees and made the public they were doing so and pointing out Trumps tax cuts was the sole reason why , meanwhile U.P.S is projected to gain/net a "6" "SIX" BILLION DOLLAR profit this year and has not done shyt for us ,but will regularly say that they cannot give out those perks all the other company's are doing simply because our "contract/UNION "prevents them from doing so , (WHICH IS TOTALLY FALSE ,just factually speaking , without any stipulations our Locals would never ,ever turn down any "bonuses,jobs (preferably full time) or anything that would be rewarding , WTH, we can't even get turkeys or shotguns anymore (yes shotguns,they were gifted back in the day ,some of y'all will dispute this but they did let employees pick those out as retirement or some sort of milestone type of reward, but oh well ). So yes , let's kick their ass , we should cease the moment , DON'T BE SKEERED !!! . My personal advice is have atleast a minimum of "3" weeks pay put back in savings , do not schedule any medical procedures or appointments during the first 2 weeks of August 2018 (my wife has postponed a major cancer preventative surgery ,in which she currently does not have cancer ,but did test positive for tge gene , but its nit immanent and we can put it on hold , sorry TMI,just didnt want folks to get the wrong idea . But an infection or setback during a strike with no insurance could be financially catastrophic (keep in mind not all regions insurances are the same , some regions might cover their members during a strike , others might not , call your Local Business agent and check) . Basically just have your bases covered . Sorry so long , rant over. One love , Unity , Be strong ,be proud ,be a Teamster !!!!!

TL; DR

Hope this helps.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Hello all , I'm no different than any of you guys other than I got big cojones (just a personal observation of my 43 year old self ) . Proud to be a 25 year full time Teamster (shifter) and a 24 year Steward at Local 480 (White's Creek) . My brothers and I walked the line in 97 , beat on scabs trailers , blocked supervisors from driving into our hub , tossed nails into the entrance to flatten tires , slingshot wheel bearings at the bright flood lights the company positioned into place to watch us picketing , drank plenty of adult beverages , grilled out and ate well in our makeshift camps etc. etc. . I could only imagine the fun we would have this go around , "IF" we are ordered to strike . Of course I already gave a big "YES" vote to the recently mailed out strike authorization, without that we don't give our representatives any leverage at all , it's like showing up to a gunfight , with no bullets or gun and blindfolded . Personally I do not wish for a strike , unfortunately the company we work for , with all their unreasonable numbers they put on us from unloading packages, Orion, idle times , backing , air , etc etc are incredibly unrealistic forced on us by nerds in cubicles at corporate in Atlanta who have never performed any of these jobs physically (Tetris on your kids IPAD does not count as loading a trailer IMHO.) Striking atleast once in a career UPSer should be a necessary requirement , for the simple fact of showing what actual "UNITY" can achieve ,and yes I do agree the 97 strike did not achieve much , but it did show the company and us Teamsters as well that the consequences can be devastating (losing customers ,revenue,trust etc etc) . But now is the time to get the most bang for our buck ,meaning the company has invested BILLION$$$$ into our infrastructure with planes , tractors , package cars and let's not forget all the new Hubs and expansions to existing hubs like my own hell hole (White's Creek Nashville Tennessee). We have their backs to the wall . With a nationwide shortage of CDL licensed drivers , the company's rigorous package car numbers/expectations ,not to mention the "failure to launch MELINNIUAL Generation kids , the company will be hurting for reliable licensed folks to run our loads/routes which are already hard,unreasonable ,unrealistic to begin with . Also but lets not forget the more important aspect of with President Trumps tax cuts to big business , other company's AT&T , Boeing ,Wal Mart (long list , Google it ) most of those company's gave out bonuses to their employees and made the public they were doing so and pointing out Trumps tax cuts was the sole reason why , meanwhile U.P.S is projected to gain/net a "6" "SIX" BILLION DOLLAR profit this year and has not done shyt for us ,but will regularly say that they cannot give out those perks all the other company's are doing simply because our "contract/UNION "prevents them from doing so , (WHICH IS TOTALLY FALSE ,just factually speaking , without any stipulations our Locals would never ,ever turn down any "bonuses,jobs (preferably full time) or anything that would be rewarding , WTH, we can't even get turkeys or shotguns anymore (yes shotguns,they were gifted back in the day ,some of y'all will dispute this but they did let employees pick those out as retirement or some sort of milestone type of reward, but oh well ). So yes , let's kick their ass , we should cease the moment , DON'T BE SKEERED !!! . My personal advice is have atleast a minimum of "3" weeks pay put back in savings , do not schedule any medical procedures or appointments during the first 2 weeks of August 2018 (my wife has postponed a major cancer preventative surgery ,in which she currently does not have cancer ,but did test positive for tge gene , but its nit immanent and we can put it on hold , sorry TMI,just didnt want folks to get the wrong idea . But an infection or setback during a strike with no insurance could be financially catastrophic (keep in mind not all regions insurances are the same , some regions might cover their members during a strike , others might not , call your Local Business agent and check) . Basically just have your bases covered . Sorry so long , rant over. One love , Unity , Be strong ,be proud ,be a Teamster !!!!!
giphy.gif

Heavy Package

Sorry so long , rant over. One love , Unity , Be strong ,be proud ,be a Teamster !!!!!

I'm not praying for a strike. I don't want to lose volume, pay, etc. and the old adage that no one wins in a strike is probably true.

But enough is enough! PT wages and hours, split shifts, harassment, over-dispatch, PVD's, 70 hr work weeks, and the list can go on and on.

The company executives got their bonuses and the company as a whole got a nice tax break this year. It's now or never this contract to not just hold the line but get some meaningful improvements to working conditions, PT employee / hub issues, and employment protections.

I stand with my Union Brothers and Sisters! We all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately!

ManInBrown

Post of the year.

gorilla75jdw

View attachment 194809

“Personally I do not wish for a strike”

So, which is it are you praying for a strike like the title says or do you “personally I do not wish for a strike”?

You sound like a blow hard
C'mon brother, I think my message was pretty clear . Let me make it clear though , just for your kind . In the event that the company is really pushing for concessions , along with not funding our pension plans with a guarantee , and our health, dental and vision insurance is lesser of the plan most of us enjoy presently "THEN YES , I WILL BE ON THE FRONT LINE , DUG IN THE TRENCHES , DOING WHAT MUST BE DONE FOR MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS who are STRIKING right along my side !!! Ride or die , we have got to take care of our livelihood , so many of these selfish pansy scabs who leach off of our sacrifices will reep the benefits that we chose to participate in or during this STRIKE if need be .

What say you , what will you be doing if we strike ?

Last edited:

gorilla75jdw

Was hoping someone else would catch that too. Which is it, OP?
Let me be clear , if the company is asking for concessions ,and not gaurenting or funding our pensions , also reducing funding or lessoning out health,dental and vision insurance "THEN HELL YES , I FULLY SUPPORT STRIKING " !!!

What say you , what will you be doing ?

gorilla75jdw

uh yeah, that would be 100% of Teamsters and even non-Teamsters (RTW)..how does that make me different? it doesn't.
Maybe but this nonsense about "kicking UPS's ass" is ridiculous. There are not full proposals on the table yet, a majority of agreed upon conditions, never mind a contract up for ratification.
Scab

gorilla75jdw

Ups pretty much has the ball in their court here... last strike was because ups played games at the 11th hour... totally irresponsible for a corporation the size of ups... now they have shareholders and large corporations telling them that they want a quick resolution to the contract and during initial talks ups made it crystal clear to the union that they wanted to be done with these negotiations by the end of may.....they have failed on both fronts... once anain, playing games....
Exactly, thank you , we got the company's back to the wall . Seize the moment my friend !!

gorilla75jdw

another Union hero...Karma will be knocking on your door some day, actually sounds like it is but hey why put it off just for UPS right?
The difference between Me and you is , I will answer the door to Karma , smiling , all my bases are covered . I have been thru this before , you meanwhile probably were not born yet , if you were born you had no courage , in mommy's basement picking your nose playing xbox