Pre loading tips for loading delivery trucks

Taylor Cash

I'm a new employee at UPS and am a pre loader. Any helpful tips for keeping up with the work? Had a tough time loading 3 different trucks today. The driver was rushing me to load his car so he could leave. I couldn't even load 1/4 the packages immediately because they were coming down the belt so fast.

Box Ox

Fill a tote with smalls that come down the belt for your routes. When the :censored2: really hits the fan, toss everything in the tote up into the air and yell "YAHTZEEEEEE!" as a signal you need help.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm a new employee at UPS and am a pre loader. Any helpful tips for keeping up with the work? Had a tough time loading 3 different trucks today. The driver was rushing me to load his car so he could leave. I couldn't even load 1/4 the packages immediately because they were coming down the belt so fast.
Load the heavy stuff label down. That's what my loader does.
newsign.php

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Jump up on the belt and act like your surfing

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Every day this week the cars have been loaded like :censored2: at my center. If it’s loaded like crap it doesn’t matter if the driver wants to leave, he still has to pull over to sort it out.

Load the cars correctly at a safe speed and screw your sups and what they say. Any missed packages on the belt are perfectly safe, they go to the bottom and are collected and another minion brings them back up.

john chesney

I’d rather have it stacked outside my truck then thrown in anywhere. The load quality’s have been deplorable the last few years

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This is the pre-selecting part:
Select any box, bonus points if you select one earlier in line or you find two for the same vehicle.
Don't stack or keep it to an absolute minimum and stack/tote the smaller objects first while always loading the larger ones.
Always load things that are on the floor first.

Now for the loading part, the one Literally no supervisor and half of preload do not know how to do neatly or efficiently:
Part 1: Build a layer of medium-or-larger boxes loaded depth>height>width, unless you are under the gliding door installation (shelf 5000 and 7000) where you can opt to load depth>width>height.
Part 2: Anything long that sticks out more than 1/2" from a shelf goes on the floor, return to shelf if space allows at the end of the day. You can hit yourself and impede quick movement by leaving boxes too far off of a shelf.
Part 3: Subsequent thinner/smaller boxes: slide behind or load on top, snug against the wall. keep doing d>h>w or d>w>h no matter what it is. Try loading all the way to the tippy top as long as the HIN is reasonably in-order and most, if not all, boxes can be select lower-hin-first.
Part 4: Subsequent wider boxes: pull the older, thinner box off the shelf then do part 1/part 3. This step is important to build tight loads, as wider boxes loaded on top of a few thinner boxes will most-likely become lopsided or overhang, which wastes shelf space.
Part 6: If the shelf space is too thin for the next box, try a bit of step 3, then try to make space by sticking your hand in ther and sliding everything forward. If you still do not have enough space, begin placing the largest boxes, especially a bulk stop of large boxes, on the floor.
Part 7: Just a quick reminder that part 3 includes all small boxes, virtually all bags (box bags, solid object bags, pill bags), and envelopes. Do not dump smalls into the load randomly or you will waste space, lead things to fall over in motion, and make finding them difficult. t-shirt bags (ones that have no structure whatsoever) go on top of or behind everything else.

A quick note on package facing and writing
You can save time by orienting the package in your hand and writing on it as you walk into the PC. Keep in mind the orientation is almost always d>h>w so your hands/palm will be holding the long-thin side and if you are palming the package, you will write on the side with the smallest surface area.
If you walk in with a stack, keep every barcode facing up so you can drop the whole stack, scan and load without fumbling with each piece.

Let things drop off the belt, who cares.

john chesney

This is the pre-selecting part:
Select any box, bonus points if you select one earlier in line or you find two for the same vehicle.
Don't stack or keep it to an absolute minimum and stack/tote the smaller objects first while always loading the larger ones.
Always load things that are on the floor first.

Now for the loading part, the one Literally no supervisor and half of preload do not know how to do neatly or efficiently:
Part 1: Build a layer of medium-or-larger boxes loaded depth>height>width, unless you are under the gliding door installation (shelf 5000 and 7000) where you can opt to load depth>width>height.
Part 2: Anything long that sticks out more than 1/2" from a shelf goes on the floor, return to shelf if space allows at the end of the day. You can hit yourself and impede quick movement by leaving boxes too far off of a shelf.
Part 3: Subsequent thinner/smaller boxes: slide behind or load on top, snug against the wall. keep doing d>h>w or d>w>h no matter what it is. Try loading all the way to the tippy top as long as the HIN is reasonably in-order and most, if not all, boxes can be select lower-hin-first.
Part 4: Subsequent wider boxes: pull the older, thinner box off the shelf then do part 1/part 3. This step is important to build tight loads, as wider boxes loaded on top of a few thinner boxes will most-likely become lopsided or overhang, which wastes shelf space.
Part 6: If the shelf space is too thin for the next box, try a bit of step 3, then try to make space by sticking your hand in ther and sliding everything forward. If you still do not have enough space, begin placing the largest boxes, especially a bulk stop of large boxes, on the floor.
Part 7: Just a quick reminder that part 3 includes all small boxes, virtually all bags (box bags, solid object bags, pill bags), and envelopes. Do not dump smalls into the load randomly or you will waste space, lead things to fall over in motion, and make finding them difficult. t-shirt bags (ones that have no structure whatsoever) go on top of or behind everything else.

A quick note on package facing and writing
You can save time by orienting the package in your hand and writing on it as you walk into the PC. Keep in mind the orientation is almost always d>h>w so your hands/palm will be holding the long-thin side and if you are palming the package, you will write on the side with the smallest surface area.
If you walk in with a stack, keep every barcode facing up so you can drop the whole stack, scan and load without fumbling with each piece.

Let things drop off the belt, who cares.
How about a simple left,right front,back. If I could get that I’d be overjoyed with my load

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Writing on the box while walking in the PC is unsafe. If you are writing while walking, you are not paying attention to where you are stepping.
Yup. Didn't occur yo me since It becomes second-nature to not to look at the box and stare at the floor while writing on it. Sort of like mashing buttons on the diad while walking around.

specter208

For loading 3 cars. If you are on a conveyor belt preload. Try to stay as far ahead of your trucks as possible and stack packages for the same trucks on the belt. I carry these packages into the right truck before the conveyor brings them. Try not take to long inside the trucks when loading. If you have to scan the packages then do this when outside and sorting packages on the belt. Write numbers as you are walking into the truck. Don't write numbers on all packages, only write on the packages for the first hour or so to save some time. If you have to stack, don't be afraid to do so. Just make sure you stack inside the truck and keep your stack as organized as possible. I also like to scan these packages so they are quicker to load later. Do your best to give equal love to all trucks however sometimes it may be better to sacrifice one of your trucks to keep the other two from falling. This way your are only loading two and can have your supervisor bring you help to load the the third.