President Trump

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The difference is having a choice.
It's the same choice you have under obamacare: Maintain an insurance policy or pay the penalty. And make no mistake under both systems the goal is make the penalty so punitive that for the vast majority of people it's not really a choice at all.

wkmac

Charles Krauthammer has stated that he feels we will have single payer within 7 years and whether single payer is right or wrong, I think Krauthammer may end up being right on this one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Charles Krauthammer has stated that he feels we will have single payer within 7 years and whether single payer is right or wrong, I think Krauthammer may end up being right on this one.
I saw that and you can see where he's coming from. Even if the republicans can repeal obamacare they can't repeal the ideas behind it. People are now going to demand a system wherein insurance can't be denied to anybody and the only way a such a system is sustainable is by forcing the majority of people to buy insurance to increase the size of the risk pool.

oldngray

nowhere special
I saw that and you can see where he's coming from. Even if the republicans can repeal obamacare they can't repeal the ideas behind it. People are now going to demand a system wherein insurance can't be denied to anybody and the only way a such a system is sustainable is by forcing the majority of people to buy insurance to increase the size of the risk pool.

Obamacare was always planned to fail as the first step to single payer. Many of the changes can't be completely undone and the attitude would be at least single payer isn't as bad.

bbsam

Staff member
The fact is becoming more and more clear: Obamacare is the "market based" solution that republicans were for before they were against it. Luckily though, President Trump is lauding the Australian model...much to Bernie's delight!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Obamacare was always planned to fail as the first step to single payer. Many of the changes can't be completely undone and the attitude would be at least single payer isn't as bad.
I don't know that it was literally planned to fail but there's no question that a lot of people (probably Obama included) viewed it as an interim step towards a universal healthcare system.

oldngray

nowhere special
The fact is becoming more and more clear: Obamacare is the "market based" solution that republicans were for before they were against it. Luckily though, President Trump is lauding the Australian model...much to Bernie's delight!

Nope. Trump said Australia is better than the mess of Obamacare that we have now. Not that we should follow their system. Points out the need to fix what Obama broke.

It will be fine

I don't know that it was literally planned to fail but there's no question that a lot of people (probably Obama included) viewed it as an interim step towards a universal healthcare system.
That might be true if the public option had been included. Add in the public option and everyone would see a for profit company can't compete with the government. Insurance is most efficient by with large pool of contributors. The largest possible pool would be the whole country. Factor in the lack of need for profit and single payer is really the only reasonable solution.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That might be true if the public option had been included. Add in the public option and everyone would see a for profit company can't compete with the government. Insurance is most efficient by with large pool of contributors. The largest possible pool would be the whole country. Factor in the lack of need for profit and single payer is really the only reasonable solution.
And make companies buy HealthCare Insurance from the US Central Government?

It will be fine

And make companies buy HealthCare Insurance from the US Central Government?
Why would companies buy it? I think the tying of health insurance to an employer is one of the worst things for American workers and companies. It hurts workers because they stay at jobs that treat them horribly because they need the insurance. This limits worker mobility that helps keep wages low. It hurts companies because in order to compete they need to bear the cost of health insurance while their international competitors don't. There's a reason no other country has health insurance tied to employers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think the tying of health insurance to an employer is one of the worst things for American workers and companies. It hurts workers because they stay at jobs that treat them horribly because they need the insurance. This limits worker mobility that helps keep wages low. It hurts companies because in order to compete they need to bear the cost of health insurance while their international competitors don't.
I agree with this.
I have been a supporter of Universal Healthcare for about 20 years now. Before that, I did not.
I also believe Employers can provide Enhanced HealthCare in addition to the Universal Healthcare.
There will always be an Enhanced HealthCare option so the government might as well embrace that concept.

It will be fine

I agree with this.
I have been a supporter of Universal Healthcare for about 20 years now. Before that, I did not.
I also believe Employers can provide Enhanced HealthCare in addition to the Universal Healthcare.
There will always be an Enhanced HealthCare option so the government might as well embrace that concept.
Is that system one where all the basics are universal with people having an option for additional coverage? I've heard of systems like that but I don't really understand the specifics. What "extras" are there to cover? Dental? Eyes? Elective surgeries?