Pretty clear at this point UPS is going to let this strike happen

Karma...

this is like a bicycle race down to the final sprint to the finish line....how many years have to pass while on strike to decertify the union ?.....its happened before I think in Pennsylvania.....then all new people were hired.....

HarryWarden

this is like a bicycle race down to the final sprint to the finish line....how many years have to pass while on strike to decertify the union ?.....its happened before I think in Pennsylvania.....then all new people were hired.....
Public support is pretty big on the workers side. We have 350,000 workers now, turnover is already so high as it is, I feel like ups would lose so much money and respect before that ever happened

I’ve been wondering the same myself though. This is an economic strike and we are not protected, ups is allowed to hire replacements

If this ends up being a long term strike of months, and we hold out, I think peak season will be our saving grace lol

RTS313

They are actually coming back in style and I’m not sure why.
IMG_1383.jpeg

If this ends up being a long term strike of months, and we hold out, I think peak season will be our saving grace
It's wayyyy too late now, but this is why I said we should work under an extension, take our strike authorization vote in October, and give notice of intent to walk out midnight the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Its_a_me

It's wayyyy too late now, but this is why I said we should work under an extension, take our strike authorization vote in October, and give notice of intent to walk out midnight the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
Dumb. Just a stupid idea. Here's why:

The TAFT-HARTLEY Act has an 80-day "cooling-off period." So if you walk out before Thanksgiving the government can force you to work for the next 80 days. Just about the time UPS likes to cut drivers in Feb/March. You'd play right into their hands.

By going in Aug add 80 days and you are right in peak season when it really hurts the company.

Dumb. Just a stupid idea. Here's why:

The TAFT-HARTLEY Act has an 80-day "cooling-off period." So if you walk out before Thanksgiving the government can force you to work for the next 80 days. Just about the time UPS likes to cut drivers in Feb/March. You'd play right into their hands.

By going in Aug add 80 days and you are right in peak season when it really hurts the company.
All depending on the president in office. Given how our guy is so pro-labor and pro-union, I'm sure he'd let it ride for a week or so.

Arizax2

Interestingly enough I heard this from a loader that's only been with the company a few months. It's a hell of a strategy honestly. But I think the White House would absolutely jump in if that's the case. I'm sure this was thought of by Teamsters leadership.

Gorilla Biscuit

Honestly don't think the auto mechanics, porters or customer counter folks in my building will strike. They are much older and are generally low key. They don't have mangment around them enough to be upset with them for anything. The inside works will be out there heavy and my guess a decent portion of the drivers as well but those 3 jobs I noted I don't think so. If they do I can't imagine them not crossing the line after a couple of days.
I’m a porter. Been with ups and the union for 31 years. Myself and all the other porters will be striking with everyone else if/when it comes to that. We are low key, older and don’t have management hovering around us all day. We’ve also been here long enough to know what this company is like. We’ve all been through the battles and none of us will cross. We all know that our jobs in particular could easily be replaced by outside contractors for way cheaper. We also know that these jobs exist because of the union. I personally hope this gets resolved before a strike but if we’re out, we’re all out.

Trash Panda

Why do you keep ignoring the 80s pay for part time workers?
Because the 80’s, 90’s, 2000, 2010, are dead and gone. All were different placeholders in society’s history and progression forward.

A couple year pandemic and record profits aren't going to rectify a decades old issue. Please stop banging the fairness drum of now 33 an hour just because you feel you deserve it for 10 years + of service.

Not sure what formula our leaders are looking at but more than likely its not the one in your head.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
What are the chances that SOB and UPS have already inked a TA behind the scenes?
These next 2 weeks afford SOB time to puff his feathers and make it seem as if he's taking on UPS while also bolstering the IBT's position with respect to FedEx and Amazon who we know SOB wants in on.

Once a deal is revealed at the 11th hour, SOB will look like the big man who took on the Big Brown while potentially levelling the playing field for UPS with respect to their competition.

If FedEx and Amazon fully unionize would that not benefit UPS in terms of operational costs since all 3 will be more comparable?

UPS stock has been stuck at about $184 a share for the past week. The shareholders know something we don't, and at the end of the day, the PT'ers and low seniority drivers will be the ones to pay for it. I hope I'm wrong but the unity in our building is not that strong. Our 3 mechanics have already said that they'll be working during a walkout and half the PT'ers don't even know what the Teamster are.
Are your mechanics in the IAM? If they are can you PM me what building your in.

PT Car Washer

Because the 80’s, 90’s, 2000, 2010, are dead and gone. All were different placeholders in society’s history and progression forward.

A couple year pandemic and record profits aren't going to rectify a decades old issue. Please stop banging the fairness drum of now 33 an hour just because you feel you deserve it for 10 years + of service.

Not sure what formula our leaders are looking at but more than likely its not the one in your head.
Spoken like a true company man.

Trash Panda

Spoken like a true company man.
Considering I've been vocal about my stance on corporate/shareholder greed thats rather doubtful.

Done worse jobs for alot less that what we currently make. Some of us aren't lifers yet and know what the labor markets like.

Pretty rich coming from a long term ‘company man’ himself who wont hang up the keys.

yadadamean116

So if you’re the owners of the company Ex Blackrock. Why wouldn’t you let the strike happen. Your money is deep in FedEx and Amazon anyways. All it’s going to do is reallocate your funds from UPS to them, big deal.

ManInBrown

We had a mechanic go in during the “97”, the Teamsters called his business agent from another Union and from what I heard he physically dragged him out of the building..urban legend, who knows, but it came from a reliable source…
wouldn’t surprise me one bit. My buddy was a package car driver in 97 and told me some crazy stories. anyone who is even thinking of crossing, just know this, you’re done when the strike is over. Zero chance you even make it six months before you’re fired. Union card revoked, can never work another union job again. Fines by the Teamsters can be equal to every penny you made working during the strike.

Over70irregs

wouldn’t surprise me one bit. My buddy was a package car driver in 97 and told me some crazy stories. anyone who is even thinking of crossing, just know this, you’re done when the strike is over. Zero chance you even make it six months before you’re fired. Union card revoked, can never work another union job again. Fines by the Teamsters can be equal to every penny you made working during the strike.
That’s more like it…..