Pretty clear at this point UPS is going to let this strike happen

Well they do not advertise the healthcare package and the pension package that the part-timers have.

That's almost unheard of in the part-time workforce

Unfortunately most people are looking for the dollar amount in your check, which is important but..
Nobody keeps our eye on the prize anymore it's all about today
YOLO
Definitely some but not all. I guess I am the exception. It's all important, but it's hard to keep good, honest, hard workers at $16/hr. It costs me more in gas to drive there 5 days/week than I bring home, but I do it because my eyes are on the prize! No sign up sheets either for the last few months.

Most part timers are gone before 5 years and don’t tap into the pension, and are gone before they’re 26 so they never use insurance either. UPS doesn’t pay for a lot of it and they know it

They were paying equivalent to $33 an hour for part timers in the 80s plus the benefits, they’ve been riding the dirt cheap labor and using a revolving door of young kids to do the majority of their work force for decades
You realize that your health care costs about 20 grand a year?

If you're looking for more cash up front you should go somewhere else if you're looking for a career in the future stay here and go driving

If they make the part-time work horse too expensive it'd be cheaper just to pay the drivers to load because they would have to pay all the benefits paid holidays vacations and everything else

Definitely some but not all. I guess I am the exception. It's all important, but it's hard to keep good, honest, hard workers at $16/hr. It costs me more in gas to drive there 5 days/week than I bring home, but I do it because my eyes are on the prize! No sign up sheets either for the last few months.
There isn't a person on here that doesn't think that part-timers should make at least $20 an hour

HarryWarden

You realize that your health care costs about 20 grand a year?

If you're looking for more cash up front you should go somewhere else if you're looking for a career in the future stay here and go driving

If they make the part-time work horse too expensive it'd be cheaper just to pay the drivers to load because they would have to pay all the benefits paid holidays vacations and everything else
You realize that most of the workers are young adults and still on their parents health insurance and ups is not paying for it, right?

HarryWarden

Apples and oranges.

Lots of things were different in the 80s.

What was UPS's profit margins then?
What was their competition?
What were their operating costs?
Etc, etc...

You're simplifying it far more than is reasonable.
Ups profits are way more now, ceo pay is way higher, billions on stock buy backs, and the workers are getting paid less

Pullman Brown

My prediction is ups is going to come back with a stronger offer at the last minute, but still below teamsters demands. Teamsters will declare strike, and ups with either agree to the demands within a day, or they will draw It out for a very long time

giphy-downsized.gif

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Ups profits are way more now, ceo pay is way higher, billions on stock buy backs, and the workers are getting paid less
Keep repeating your talking points.

I gave you a reasoned and thought out answer, and you keep bleating the same words without even bothering to consider that there may be other perspectives that matter.

You aren't going to respect the time that I took to have a discussion, so I'm done discussing.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I predict the union concedes to UPS to an extent that none of us will ever know because they've not been transparent about what exactly they're asking the company for.
What are the chances that SOB and UPS have already inked a TA behind the scenes?
These next 2 weeks afford SOB time to puff his feathers and make it seem as if he's taking on UPS while also bolstering the IBT's position with respect to FedEx and Amazon who we know SOB wants in on.

Once a deal is revealed at the 11th hour, SOB will look like the big man who took on the Big Brown while potentially levelling the playing field for UPS with respect to their competition.

If FedEx and Amazon fully unionize would that not benefit UPS in terms of operational costs since all 3 will be more comparable?

UPS stock has been stuck at about $184 a share for the past week. The shareholders know something we don't, and at the end of the day, the PT'ers and low seniority drivers will be the ones to pay for it. I hope I'm wrong but the unity in our building is not that strong. Our 3 mechanics have already said that they'll be working during a walkout and half the PT'ers don't even know what the Teamster are.

What are the chances that SOB and UPS have already inked a TA behind the scenes?
These next 2 weeks afford SOB time to puff his feathers and make it seem as if he's taking on UPS while also bolstering the IBT's position with respect to FedEx and Amazon who we know SOB wants in on.

Once a deal is revealed at the 11th hour, SOB will look like the big man who took on the Big Brown while potentially levelling the playing field for UPS with respect to their competition.

If FedEx and Amazon fully unionize would that not benefit UPS in terms of operational costs since all 3 will be more comparable?

UPS stock has been stuck at about $184 a share for the past week. The shareholders know something we don't, and at the end of the day, the PT'ers and low seniority drivers will be the ones to pay for it. I hope I'm wrong but the unity in our building is not that strong. Our 3 mechanics have already said that they'll be working during a walkout and half the PT'ers don't even know what the Teamster are.
Would be a shame if a rogue wrench cracked a mechanic's tooth.