Progressive Constitutionalist versus Originalist Constitutionalist

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Like I said before this wasn’t meant to be about abortion spciifically. I used it as an example of activist judges that ignore the constitution in favor of their personal views.
This was during the Warren Supreme Court ... Warren’s name is often used as a pseudonym for Leftist Activist Judges.
Just as Rehnquist’s Supreme Court is a pseudonym for Conservative Activist Judges.

Both were Disloyal to the Constitution.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
This was during the Warren Supreme Court ... Warren’s name is often used as a pseudonym for Leftist Activist Judges.
Just as Rehnquist’s Supreme Court is a pseudonym for Conservative Activist Judges.

Both were Disloyal to the Constitution.
A366F9BE-40D8-4B40-8517-837BB4B370C2.gif

BrownArmy

And these states will lean towards liberal/urban tendencies.
These people, like the left today, will want to ignore the Constitution and make new laws through the Judicial and Executive branches.
The real issue is that we are citizens of the United States of America .
The issue is that the Constitution is designed to give power to States and protect individuals.
Amendment 17 took a swipe at this but didn’t really do much.

So I believe your ‘problematic’ concern is that 70% of the people will be underrepresented looking at it from the individual POV.
However, the Constitution does exactly what it was designed to do and that is to equalize power amongst the states.

In other words, all the rancor we are experiencing now will get worse.
And these states will lean towards liberal/urban tendencies.
These people, like the left today, will want to ignore the Constitution and make new laws through the Judicial and Executive branches.
The real issue is that we are citizens of the United States of America .
The issue is that the Constitution is designed to give power to States and protect individuals.
Amendment 17 took a swipe at this but didn’t really do much.

So I believe your ‘problematic’ concern is that 70% of the people will be underrepresented looking at it from the individual POV.
However, the Constitution does exactly what it was designed to do and that is to equalize power amongst the states.

In other words, all the rancor we are experiencing now will get worse.

FFS, it’s 2018.

The inevitable result is that the absolute minority will control the maximum majority.

You say, ‘The Constitution is the equalizer’ to make States equivalent, but we’re working toward a situation where what the Founders instituted as a ‘check’ will instead reverse itself.

It won’t be the ‘tyranny’ of the minority vs. the ‘tyranny’ of the majority, it will just be a complete c-friend.

I love the Constitution, etc., but...

There’s no mechanism in the Constitution to keep us from strangling each other.

Well, there is, it’s Congress, but Congress can’t find it’s d in the dark.

More power is being consolidated in the Executive, Legislative has Alzheimers, and the Judicial is going off on weird math problems no one cares about.

I love the American experiment, but there’s no guarantee it will last forever.

El Correcto

god is dead
FFS, it’s 2018.

The inevitable result is that the absolute minority will control the maximum majority.

You say, ‘The Constitution is the equalizer’ to make States equivalent, but we’re working toward a situation where what the Founders instituted as a ‘check’ will instead reverse itself.

It won’t be the ‘tyranny’ of the minority vs. the ‘tyranny’ of the majority, it will just be a complete c-friend.

I love the Constitution, etc., but...

There’s no mechanism in the Constitution to keep us from strangling each other.

Well, there is, it’s Congress, but Congress can’t find it’s d in the dark.

More power is being consolidated in the Executive, Legislative has Alzheimers, and the Judicial is going off on weird math problems no one cares about.

I love the American experiment, but there’s no guarantee it will last forever.
Have you seen article five in the constitution?
Convention of states.

BrownArmy

Only cause dum dum are happy with states losing power and federal tyranny they can aim at the other side.

Maybe, maybe not, can you imagine enough states agreeing to do anything these days?

Machine guns for everyone?

Abortion on demand?

Squash the ‘Citizens United’ decision?

One person, one vote?

You’re high if you think any amendment to the Constitution would fly these days.

So much division.

El Correcto

god is dead
Maybe, maybe not, can you imagine enough states agreeing to do anything these days?

Machine guns for everyone?

Abortion on demand?

Squash the ‘Citizens United’ decision?

One person, one vote?

You’re high if you think any amendment to the Constitution would fly these days.

So much division.
We could start by repealing the fourteenth amendment and the sixteenth amendment.
Seems like rock solid ideas.

BrownArmy

We could start by repealing the fourteenth amendment and the sixteenth amendment.
Seems like rock solid ideas.

Are you into guns?

If the gun-rights argument is that more restrictive gun laws against law-abiding gun owners isn’t the point, how is it the point to restrict otherwise law-abiding trans folk from using the bathroom of their choice?

I’m white and hetero, and I don’t quite understand ‘trans’ or ‘gender dysmorphia’, but why not just call it even?

Civil rights.

El Correcto

god is dead
Are you into guns?

If the gun-rights argument is that more restrictive gun laws against law-abiding gun owners isn’t the point, how is it the point to restrict otherwise law-abiding trans folk from using the bathroom of their choice?

I’m white and hetero, and I don’t quite understand ‘trans’ or ‘gender dysmorphia’, but why not just call it even?

Civil rights.
I don’t care what bathroom they use. That should be up to the business owner. It’s his property and his bathroom. The government doesn’t own it.

Or hers

BrownArmy

Because a 30 year old man doesn’t belong in a stall next to a 6 year old little girl.

We already have laws against that.

Lots of hyperbole and misinformation, at the end of the day, if there’s a gender dysmorphic dude who should have been a woman, who are you to say?

Clue phone’s ringing, the trans (?) folk who just want to sit down/stand up when they pee, or whatever, they’re just looking for acceptance, and probably a normalization of their experience.

Bathrooms are the new water fountains?