Pro's & Con's of TA List them

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Ya'll ever hear the story of the Goose who laid Golden Eggs? The farmer got greedy and decided to cut the goose open and get ALL of the gold...............IMO this TA is a win/win for the company and the union

YOU ARE CORRECT!!! Its a WIN/WIN for the company and the Union, but its a solid LOSS for the employees.

thanks for clarifying.

Peace

TOS

ups clerk

Re: Pro's & Con's of TA List them

The pension for pt went up 5 dollars a year.
Is that retroactive to pt's who are now full time? In other words, I have 22 years part time and 14 full time Will I get 55.00 for every year of service for part time work instead of 50.00 a year? Or is it just for new hires?

InsideUPS

Is that retroactive to pt's who are now full time? In other words, I have 22 years part time and 14 full time Will I get 55.00 for every year of service for part time work instead of 50.00 a year? Or is it just for new hires?

ups clerk - I believe the answer to your question lies in this new language added to the contract (page 21):

(7) The Company will amend the UPS Pension Plan to allow an employee with an hour of service in covered employment on or after August 1, 2013 to become a participant on the January 1 or July 1 (whichever is earlier), after reaching age 21 and completing a 12 month period of employment beginning on their hire date, or any subsequent calendar year, in which they earned at least 375 hours of service. In addition, in order to receive any retroactive benefit service as a result of the change, the employee’s primary job as of August 1, 2013 must be a part-time position. The Pension Plan will also be amended to reduce the number of hours of service required to earn a vesting year from 750 to 375. This paragraph does not change how benefit service is accrued.

I believe you have to be a current part-timer.....

quamba 638

It's comparing the 2008-2012 contract raises, to this proposed contract. He's just saying its less in raises than last contract.

When you factor in the new raises versus the previous split raises the, two contracts are very similar.

Good point. He first three years are .70 up front. Over 3 years that's 18 months if getting .35 cents up front instead of waiting that extra 6 months every year

quamba 638

Derf, you are 100% correct. I went from leaning yes to a solid no when I saw that. I just don't want to take the chance my health care benefits will be crap for he next 5 years. And then have to negotiate something else away on the next contract to fix the health care from this contract.

​Wheres the solidarity Bro ... don't you trust your Union?

Hoax: I know you can't speak for all the retired teamsters; well maybe you can...
Why do you think about the insurance ( as a retired member) do you feel like you're getting "screwed" as some have said?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Under the new insurance for those moving into Central States, it looks like the more you use it, the more it will cost you. What a novel concept.

quamba 638

Derf, you are 100% correct. I went from leaning yes to a solid no when I saw that. I just don't want to take the chance my health care benefits will be crap for he next 5 years. And then have to negotiate something else away on the next contract to fix the health care from this contract.

​Wheres the solidarity Bro ... don't you trust your Union?

Hoax: I know you can't speak for all the retired teamsters; well maybe you can...
Why do you think about the insurance ( as a retired member) do you feel like you're getting "screwed" as some have said?

I meant to say what do you think,; not "why"..

RealPerson

Good point. He first three years are .70 up front. Over 3 years that's 18 months if getting .35 cents up front instead of waiting that extra 6 months every year

NO WRONG
It is NOT up Front. You work a year to get the raise. The way it USE to be. Lost the work a year to get your full raise last contract. Adding it back for the first 3 years is NOT a win in my book.

I wish I could get $.35 an Hour for Every 250K ish UPS employes for 6 months..

I worked 14 Months before I received my first raise. (18 years ago)

RealPerson

Part-Time Wages
The International Union announced that part-time wages are going up by $1.50. But the real increase is only 50 cents.
That's because the $1 raise that you get after 90 days in the present contract has been eliminated. In the proposed contract, part-timers don't get their first increase until the one-year mark. Plus $1.50 and minus $1.
Is a 50¢ increase worth the hoopla?

ups clerk

ups clerk - I believe the answer to your question lies in this new language added to the contract (page 21):

(7) The Company will amend the UPS Pension Plan to allow an employee with an hour of service in covered employment on or after August 1, 2013 to become a participant on the January 1 or July 1 (whichever is earlier), after reaching age 21 and completing a 12 month period of employment beginning on their hire date, or any subsequent calendar year, in which they earned at least 375 hours of service. In addition, in order to receive any retroactive benefit service as a result of the change, the employee’s primary job as of August 1, 2013 must be a part-time position. The Pension Plan will also be amended to reduce the number of hours of service required to earn a vesting year from 750 to 375. This paragraph does not change how benefit service is accrued.

I believe you have to be a current part-timer.....
Thanks Inside Upsers---not the answer I was looking for. LOL Doesn't seem fair, but oh well.

bellesmom

From the perspective of a 22.3 whose job has been "dissolved" that now works 6 reports without ot and split shifts

Cons-
language not clarified for 22.3 positions
adding 5 years for retirement to 35
retiree health insurance costs skyrocketing
all employees negoitiated for equally as we are not all fulltime package/feeder drivers but pay the fulltime dues

Since I'm voting "NO", I don't see a reason for Pros and dont' have any at the moment.

Skooney

It's comparing the 2008-2012 contract raises, to this proposed contract. He's just saying its less in raises than last contract.

Like comparing the previous contracts raises to the TA had any bearing on anything. It means nothing. Your still getting 3.90 cents an hour more. That's means I'll be getting 36 bucks an hour to drive around and put boxes on door steps. The raises has nothing to do with why I'll be voting no.