PT package handler questions

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Showed up at 520.. Sup didn't bat an eye.. Worked my shift and he said same time tomorrow.. I said yes sir. Very simple. You guys must be dicks if your sups hated you that much to force firing you guys. Lol
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1448941612.405997.jpg

Are you Jake from State Farm?

PT Car Washer

Showed up at 520.. Sup didn't bat an eye.. Worked my shift and he said same time tomorrow.. I said yes sir. Very simple. You guys must be dicks if your sups hated you that much to force firing you guys. Lol
UPS can use double shifters to plug the holes for PT employees with other commitments outside of Peak. Not a problem for seniority PT workers with a good work record.

AutoZone

BrownPower
UPS can use double shifters to plug the holes for PT employees with other commitments outside of Peak. Not a problem for seniority PT workers with a good work record.
My pt sup loves me. Work hard.. Don't complain. Never gets any calls on me.. And I even let him send me home on nights he needs to cut his production.

PT Car Washer

seniority rules!
Ask from the top and force from the bottom. The twilight sort in my building has a lot of workers with either a FT day job or FT school who will take a day off anytime. Also means UPS can overstaff during the slack times. After all UPS only pays minimum wage and no benefits the first year.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
FWIW Jake, it was my experience (in the same situation-working a day job & twilight shift), as long as you can absolutely make it in every day at the same time (so your FT supvr can rely upon you coming in) you should be fine.

browner89

Wrong.. When you apply, it clearly states, 'must be available between 5pm-10pm.. Even tho normal hours are about 530-930.. The extra hour there (30 minutes before and after) is meant for peak time to adjust for those hours. Starting at 1 or 2 pm is not part of the obligated hours as stated when hired.. Again, if UPS would like to hire me permanent full time, I'll quit the day job.. Until then, pt is pt, and they get the pt from me. :)

You're in a lucky situation where your sup isn't applying the rules to you because they're desperate.

What HR says doesn't matter. My HR doesn't even know that you haven't received a $1 raise after making book in forever and still tell every new hire that. Whatever it takes to get you hired.

The contract doesn't discuss start times for part timers outside of length of notice for changes, so for everyone else, the FT sups are the law, work as directed.

The ONLY shifts discussed in my Local are for mechanics, not PT or drivers.

And there is a difference between a Supervisor "hating" and disciplining employees who don't work as directed.

Super 9

TC did you wear a suit when you went on the tour? I always see at least 2-3 people in suits during tours, I don't understand why. Who are they trying to impress, it's a damn PT package handler job...

AutoZone

BrownPower
TC did you wear a suit when you went on the tour? I always see at least 2-3 people in suits during tours, I don't understand why. Who are they trying to impress, it's a damn PT package handler job...
I'll always beleive in dress to impress.. Even tho it's for a menial job, it's about how you conduct yourself. These new hires going into orientation don't know what they're walking into.. Most people think us in the hub moving packages are just playing around all night laughing.. Working at a minimal pace.. When truth is, it's usual balls to the wall.. At least at my center.. Last night we did sit around half the night waiting for belts to turn on.. Not very efficient in any aspect.. We have 17 belts and at least half were off the half night... And the feeders we were sorting just happened to be all 2-3 day GA,TN, SC, NC... all going down the same belt.. And those were the belts that were off.. So they'd move us down a few bays, sort about 20% of the truck and then those belts were off.. Over 300k volume last night!! In a hub that was designed for 90k max.. Thanks Amazon!! Lol can't wait to see today and tomorrow with all the cyber Monday shopping from amazon.. Going to be much worse. Sup walking by yelling for us to keep working.. Belts off.. Egress all over sort aisle.. Couldn't even walk thru, and he wants us to keep working.. Got to a point the steward came up and shut the main belts off until the loads caught up for safety purposes.. Sups couldn't say much about it after that point. :)

PT Car Washer

I have seen guys on tours that were dressed better then the tour guide.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Would you show up 20 minutes late dressed like a bum for a Taco Bell interview? A job is a job.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Tell us the part again about quitting UPS and starting over making peanuts an hour and no benefits? :rofl:
Oh sure! I had a job making over $65k back then... While also working at UPS pt maybe 12 hours a week loading trucks for Tampa/st Pete, (the heaviest load in the hub).. I did my job so well, I was offered a promotion with a pretty decent raise and the hours no longer worked out. So I chose the $80k+ job, over the $6k pt job.. Pretty easy decision based on what I was up against during the recession years 2006-2010.. We all can't survive on pt wages like yourself.. I live a pretty nice life.. :) you enjoy your small sort today sweetie! :)

AutoZone

BrownPower
heaviest load huh?

12 hours for the heaviest load in the hub...

Pass, pass, puff
I elected to go home early 1-2 days a week if the sup didn't need me.. And got to keep my insurance and senoity.. Was a great perk. I worked all day, took a nap in the UPS parking lot.. And then went in to work midnight shift.. Get out at 3am.. Home by 4am.. Try to get In another nap, And start the day all over again at 6am. So yes, if offered the chance to go home and sleep I took it.. Good enough explanation :censored2: talker?? And I don't pass bytch...