Public Education

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Seattle Public Schools Will Start Teaching That Math Is Oppressive

Rantz: Seattle Schools document say math is oppressive, US government racist

Personally, I think many “woke” people are just looking for any reason to be oppositional just for the sake of doing something different than the status quo. The above article talks about how the Seattle Public Schools wants to teach a class on how “Western” mathematics is oppressive, imperialistic and dehumanizing. I’m guessing they don’t realize that “Western” mathematics was created by the Greeks with contributions by many different societies over the centuries.

I wonder more and more what the future of this country will be like in 50 years. I’m glad I won’t be around to see it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Personally, I think many “woke” people are just looking for any reason to be oppositional just for the sake of doing something different than the status quo. The above article talks about how the Seattle Public Schools wants to teach a class on how “Western” mathematics is oppressive, imperialistic and dehumanizing. I’m guessing they don’t realize that “Western” mathematics was created by the Greeks with contributions by many different societies over the centuries.

I wonder more and more what the future of this country will be like in 50 years. I’m glad I won’t be around to see it.
Western mathematics do promote imperialism and oppression...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I like to think that mathematics don’t inherently promote anything. But that they are a good way of providing a solid basis for ideas that make sense. Which might be why hard leftists are having a problem with it?
What does that have to do with the article? The article is talking about the anthropological and cultural aspects of mathematics, and how it is basically ignored in Western education. "Ethnomathematics " and western ignorance

BrownArmy

What does that have to do with the article? The article is talking about the anthropological and cultural aspects of mathematics, and how it is basically ignored in Western education. "Ethnomathematics " and western ignorance

I think what Box is saying is that Math should just be Math, it’s just numbers.

Somehow the ‘outrage machine’ found a new target.

Frankly, that’s simply ridiculous.

We could have a separate conversation about school-funding vis-a-vis certain neighborhoods (black vs. white), etc.

But to attack Math itself, that’s not only bad-form it’s super-stupid.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I like to think that mathematics don’t inherently promote anything. But that they are a good way of providing a solid basis for ideas that make sense. Which might be why hard leftists are having a problem with it?

Yep, anything they don't like or understand is labeled the same way. Racist, imperialist, hateful. There are legitimate criticisms about mathematics, but you have to actually understand math to be able to bring them up. The fact is that, despite mathematics being based largely on unprovable axioms, it does a very good job at predicting things in the real world. Leftists will do anything to deny objective reality, just ask rickyb. It only makes sense that they would go after math.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

It all boils down to relativism. In math there are absolutes, but in their world view, everything is relative. Which is self-contradictory. If everything is relative, then relativism is absolute, but relativism rejects absolutes, but their worldview is the only one that is correct, which is also an absolute, thus negating their worldview that there are no absolutes and everything is relative. Of course, logic is hateful and racist.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Instead of moving forward let’s just dwell on the past. When you dwell on the past you’re bound to repeat it.

BrownArmy

Yep, anything they don't like or understand is labeled the same way. Racist, imperialist, hateful. There are legitimate criticisms about mathematics, but you have to actually understand math to be able to bring them up. The fact is that, despite mathematics being based largely on unprovable axioms, it does a very good job at predicting things in the real world. Leftists will do anything to deny objective reality, just ask rickyb. It only makes sense that they would go after math.

Kewl, except 'leftists' generally agree on the math and science of climate change, so they're not all commie radicals. Or they are, I can't keep up.

I'm with Box on this one, hate-fk all you want, but math is just math, it's just numbers.

Everyone losing their minds about math are posting on their computers, the irony.

And, honestly, who is actually losing their minds about math?

Some fks in Seattle?

I'm fine with that.

BrownArmy

It all boils down to relativism. In math there are absolutes, but in their world view, everything is relative. Which is self-contradictory. If everything is relative, then relativism is absolute, but relativism rejects absolutes, but their worldview is the only one that is correct, which is also an absolute, thus negating their worldview that there are no absolutes and everything is relative. Of course, logic is hateful and racist.

Wrong.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Kewl, except 'leftists' generally agree on the math and science of climate change, so they're not all commie radicals. Or they are, I can't keep up.

I'm with Box on this one, hate-fk all you want, but math is just math, it's just numbers.

Everyone losing their minds about math are posting on their computers, the irony.

Some fks in Seattle?

I'm fine with that.

Are you a leftist? I don't think they agree on the math and science of climate change. They simply declare it to be, because whatever they say is correct, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, hateful and racist. Most of what people refer to as climate "science" really falls into the category of statistical analysis. There really isn't much to do with climate that has been subjected to experimentation utilizing the scientific method. A lot of people conflate data analysis with actual science. That's why social "science" is of very little use, because most of their "experiments" are nothing more than taking polls.

BrownArmy

Are you a leftist? I don't think they agree on the math and science of climate change. They simply declare it to be, because whatever they say is correct, and anyone who disagrees is wrong, hateful and racist. Most of what people refer to as climate "science" really falls into the category of statistical analysis. There really isn't much to do with climate that has been subjected to experimentation utilizing the scientific method. A lot of people conflate data analysis with actual science. That's why social "science" is of very little use, because most of their "experiments" are nothing more than taking polls.

I'm a 'Liberaltarian'.

Man, you seem to be regurgitating random talking points.

ZOMBIE LEFTYS AGREE WITH DECLARATION THAT CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL.

Lulz.

It's clearly not the case that the 'lefties' are marching in lock-step with whatever (the media? scientists?) are telling them.

No one agrees on the math and/or science of climate change, it's wicked complicated.

But 'lefties' want to address the issue, and I tend to agree.

Your brush is too broad...

Box Ox

Some fks in Seattle?

I'm fine with that.

Democrats need to remember they strongly resisted calls to tamp down the Trump hysteria-related crazy when they wake up to a re-elected Donald Trump on Wednesday, November 4 next year. You name it and the hard leftists have a crazy :censored2:ing stance on it.

Spend tens of trillions on climate and job guarantees. Provide healthcare to illegals. Abolish ICE. Loosen up the border. Tax any religious institutions that don't approve of gay marriage. Send "women" with dicks into women's' restrooms. Math is bad because it doesn't work out in our favor. Speech can be considered violence and can be responded to with violence. Disarm the populace. Abolish the electoral college. Expand the Supreme Court. Allow parents to have their child's sex/gender changed. Free college for everyone. Prisoners should vote. Pay up for slavery. Believe all women (don't believe men). Cops are just out to get black people. etc etc.

Trump really sucks but I wouldn't be shocked if middle of the road folks still won't be buying what the Democrats are selling.

wDykNrt.png

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm a 'Liberaltarian'.

Man, you seem to be regurgitating random talking points.

ZOMBIE LEFTYS AGREE WITH DECLARATION THAT CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL.

Lulz.

It's clearly not the case that the 'lefties' are marching in lock-step with whatever (the media? scientists?) are telling them.

No one agrees on the math and/or science of climate change, it's wicked complicated.

But 'lefties' want to address the issue, and I tend to agree.

Your brush is too broad...

So your complaint is that I'm being too general, and random? I only responded to your mention of leftists agreeing on the math and science of climate change. You brought it up, but say I am being random? Then you contradict yourself and say no one agrees on the math and science of climate change? Which is it?

When I say "leftist" I am specifically talking about the kind of people who attack math as racist, and anyone else who the shoe fits, I guess. Everyone is different, and looks at things slightly differently, but I am talking about a worldview that is generally held by a specific group of people. Perhaps if we came to an agreement on what specifically a leftist is, that might assuage your concerns about my views? I don't really care, to be honest. I'm certainly not getting anything out of our little exchanges.

BrownArmy

So your complaint is that I'm being too general, and random? I only responded to your mention of leftists agreeing on the math and science of climate change. You brought it up, but say I am being random? Then you contradict yourself and say no one agrees on the math and science of climate change? Which is it?

When I say "leftist" I am specifically talking about the kind of people who attack math as racist, and anyone else who the shoe fits, I guess. Everyone is different, and looks at things slightly differently, but I am talking about a worldview that is generally held by a specific group of people. Perhaps if we came to an agreement on what specifically a leftist is, that might assuage your concerns about my views? I don't really care, to be honest. I'm certainly not getting anything out of our little exchanges.

I have no idea how anyone could attack math as 'racist', that's like calling a dump-truck out for not being a tomato.

I just disagree with your flip comments about 'lefties'.

Not that I'm a 'leftie', but if I made random and baseless associative comments about an entire group of people due to the worst of their group...