Public Education

vantexan

Maybe I'm wrong but math may be racist because some racial groups as a whole consistently score lower on math tests than others. Some within that group may be brilliant at math but as a whole they are consistently lower. Rather than working to raise scores the radical Left just declares it rascist. Interesting sidenote to this is when the Khmer Rouge took over Cambodia they murdered all the intellectuals. It's this kind of logic taken to the extreme.

BrownArmy

Maybe I'm wrong but math may be racist because some racial groups as a whole consistently score lower on math tests than others. Some within that group may be brilliant at math but as a whole they are consistently lower. Rather than working to raise scores the radical Left just declares it rascist. Interesting sidenote to this is when the Khmer Rouge took over Cambodia they murdered all the intellectuals. It's this kind of logic taken to the extreme.

Or the kids grew up in poverty, with poverty-minded parents and poverty schools, with poverty lunches and poverty ideas.

Kinda hard to succeed at anything if you're mad poor, unless you're Bold Jam Pringles.

BrownArmy

Oh, ffs.

I thought this was all a joke, my bad.

I look at the guys at the bottom of that link, and I think, you worked really hard to invent a job that wasn't needed.

It's like the BIOKINETICS guys at UPS, with the exercises etc.

It's COMPLETE NONSENSE, but good for them for scamming UPS into a contract where I have to deal with this TOTAL FKG DBAG GUY who is always asking me if I need 'work' done.

I don't need work done bro.

Math is math.

vantexan

Or the kids grew up in poverty, with poverty-minded parents and poverty schools, with poverty lunches and poverty ideas.

Kinda hard to succeed at anything if you're mad poor, unless you're Bold Jam Pringles.
That's just it, math is universal. There are kids in India who grow up poorer than anyone but dance circles around most in math. It's not just environment but because some groups do worse some liberals start saying there's a cultural bias but mathematical equations transcend culture.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have no idea how anyone could attack math as 'racist', that's like calling a dump-truck out for not being a tomato.

I just disagree with your flip comments about 'lefties'.

Not that I'm a 'leftie', but if I made random and baseless associative comments about an entire group of people due to the worst of their group...

If you think I'm being too general, that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I'm attacking a mindset, more than a group of people. I use the term leftist because it is shorthand, and I figure most people understand what I mean when I use it. I can use the term post-modernist, if that is more suited to your sensibilities.

The driving force behind post-modernism is the belief in Jacques Derrida's deconstructionist philosophy. And moreover on the idea that western civilization is based on phallogocentrism, ie "the patriarchy". The end game is to basically undo everything that has been achieved by western civilization, and recreate civilization based on relativistic morality, to put it all in a very small nutshell. Marxist communism (marxism for short), if you'd like me to be specific, uses the deconstructionist philosophy basically to confuse people who don't know better, and marxism is used by some people to whip the misguided post-modernists (who may not be aware of the end game or even the roots of their world view) into a frenzy in order to sieze control in the turmoil.

I, for one, kinda like western civilization, and don't believe that Derrida's criticisms of it are at all legitimate. I also understand that marxism, and pretty much every other form of communism, has always historically caused massive death, destruction and the elimination of personal liberty. I like personal liberty, and am not a big fan of state sanctioned mass murder, as such, I see it as the least I can do to criticize the result of deconstructionist philosophy wherever it crops up. Speaking the truth is the only way to combat it and bring good into being.

Last edited:

Box Ox

mathematical equations transcend culture

YblMheT.jpg

Box Ox

Marxist communism (marxism for short), if you'd like me to be specific, uses the deconstructionist philosophy basically to confuse people who don't know better, and marxism is used by some people to whip the misguided post-modernists (who may not be aware of the end game or even the roots of their world view) into a frenzy in order to sieze control in the turmoil.

marxism, and pretty much every other form of communism, has always historically caused massive death, destruction and the elimination of personal liberty. I like personal liberty, and am not a big fan of state sanctioned mass murder, as such, I see it as the least I can do to criticize the result of deconstructionist philosophy wherever it crops up.

Step up and defend your ideological honor, @rickyb !!! LOL

bbsam

Staff member
Who cares?

If Johnny and Sally can’t do Algebra taught one way but another way seems to open an avenue of learning and understanding, why is that a bad thing?

Of course the answer is no.

I had a similar experience helping my kids with their common core math homework in grade school. It was different, but the process being taught did bring the correct answer and to me seemed to be opening the mind to other principles of math to come later.

I’m not sure that the point is not to correct tan incorrect answer. I think the point is to find where the student is not understanding the mathematical process and reinforce that correction.

Does this method and theory come out of deep left field? Maybe. But I think people have the “outrage machine” dialed up without understanding the theory and methodology of the math being taught. Because really, does it matter if the reason for teaching this way is because, in the future, this is the reason Captain James T. Kirk is ultimately able to defeat the Gorgon in hand to hand combat?

No. Of course not.

bbsam

Staff member
Democrats need to remember they strongly resisted calls to tamp down the Trump hysteria-related crazy when they wake up to a re-elected Donald Trump on Wednesday, November 4 next year. You name it and the hard leftists have a crazy :censored2:ing stance on it.

Spend tens of trillions on climate and job guarantees. Provide healthcare to illegals. Abolish ICE. Loosen up the border. Tax any religious institutions that don't approve of gay marriage. Send "women" with dicks into women's' restrooms. Math is bad because it doesn't work out in our favor. Speech can be considered violence and can be responded to with violence. Disarm the populace. Abolish the electoral college. Expand the Supreme Court. Allow parents to have their child's sex/gender changed. Free college for everyone. Prisoners should vote. Pay up for slavery. Believe all women (don't believe men). Cops are just out to get black people. etc etc.

Trump really sucks but I wouldn't be shocked if middle of the road folks still won't be buying what the Democrats are selling.

wDykNrt.png
Can you flesh any of that out?

You parrot right wing talking points. Do you understand anything about any of these supposed proposals?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Who cares?

If Johnny and Sally can’t do Algebra taught one way but another way seems to open an avenue of learning and understanding, why is that a bad thing?

Of course the answer is no.

I had a similar experience helping my kids with their common core math homework in grade school. It was different, but the process being taught did bring the correct answer and to me seemed to be opening the mind to other principles of math to come later.

I’m not sure that the point is not to correct tan incorrect answer. I think the point is to find where the student is not understanding the mathematical process and reinforce that correction.

Does this method and theory come out of deep left field? Maybe. But I think people have the “outrage machine” dialed up without understanding the theory and methodology of the math being taught. Because really, does it matter if the reason for teaching this way is because, in the future, this is the reason Captain James T. Kirk is ultimately able to defeat the Gorgon in hand to hand combat?

No. Of course not.
hey, someone kinda-sorta understands the dam topic at hand! The first that I have read. Is that even allowed in CE?

bbsam

Staff member
Well I’m lazy.

Why don’t you explain in depth what she proposes, why she proposes it, and how she sees it getting done.

Or does that come through primaries and debates where people decide what ideas have merit and which are simply campaign fluff?

C’mon Box. You’re smarter than talking points. I bet you’re even the type that read through the entire Green New Deal.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Myths, Lies, and Truths

Purely Eurocentric origins of mathematics can no longer be upheld. The oldest (35,000 BC) mathematical object was found in Swaziland. The oldest example of arithmetic (6000 BC) was found in Zaire.The 4000 year old, so-called Moscow papyrus, contains geometry, from the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, the consequence of the formula for the volume of a truncated square pyramid. From Herodotus (~450 BC) to Proclus (~400 BC) to Aristotle (~350 BC), Egypt was the cradle of mathematics (astronomy and surveying too). From the earliest, the great Greek mathematicians, including Pythagoras (~500 BC), Thales (~530 BC), and Exodus (the teacher of Aristotle) all learned much of their mathematics from Egypt (Mesopotamia, and possibily India) - even the concept of zero.

It is true that a zero placeholder was not used (or needed) in the Egyptian hieroglyphic or hieratic numerals because these numerals did not have positional value. But the zero concept has many other applications.

Generalizations about the area of a circle or the volume of a truncated square pyramid are most evident in Egyptian mathematics. Checking the correctness of a division by a subsequent multiplication or verifying the solutions of different types of equation by the method of substitution are found from a time before the Greeks "existed." A method, in common use in Europe until the 19th century, for solving linear equations is generally known as the method of false position. This method was in common use to solve practical practical problems such as finding the potency of beer or optimal feed mixtures for cattle and poultry in Egyptian mathematics.

A century before U.S. slavery was ended, slaves and even ordinary African slave traders demonstrated mathematical abilities more sophisticated than the European buyers.

Some 250 years prior to Newton and Liebnitz, a 15th century Indian mathematician, Madhava of Kerala, derived infinite series forand for some trigonometric functions

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well I’m lazy.

Why don’t you explain in depth what she proposes, why she proposes it, and how she sees it getting done.

Or does that come through primaries and debates where people decide what ideas have merit and which are simply campaign fluff?

C’mon Box. You’re smarter than talking points. I bet you’re even the type that read through the entire Green New Deal.
So basically you just admitted you don't care about her proposals all you care about is that she isn't Trump.

Full blown TDS