Purple Flu Day

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Baloney, the company placated topped out employees in the late 90's and early 2000's with substantial raises and adjustments and have been screwing over midrange employees ever since to pay for it, not to mention the better pensions you'll get with your higher pay, even the higher bonuses you get every 6 months. I've never said you don't deserve them but we deserve better pay too and aren't getting it. So it rankles big time to hear you talking about us having no spine, not willing to sacrifice, and how you are making good money in the 401k when it's very difficult for us to participate. A system that every last one of us should divest from to force them to pay us better. And no, I don't participate. As for R1a just say anything contrary to what he advocates and let the bitching begin.

I don't make the rules...FedEx does. And even topped-out couriers aren't exactly making bank, especially if you aren't in an upper market level or don't get hours, so get your facts in order. I'm sorry you don't choose to invest in the only decent benefit we have left, which isn't my fault either. My retirement is nothing to get excited about, even if the bulk of it is under the old Traditional Plan.

If you are getting screwed over, it isn't with my blessing. As I have said many times, I abhor the way this company treats employees, and I especially loathe the topout and market level scams. Again, not my fault. And I'm not going to apologize for participating in the 401k, because I want to have a decent retirement and send my kids to college. I'm not going to divest my holdings and take a huge tax hit just so you can feel better about having to retire in the Phillipines, Argentina or freaking wherever else you're going to go.

Get off my ass, because I'm not your enemy.

vantexan

I don't make the rules...FedEx does. And even topped-out couriers aren't exactly making bank, especially if you aren't in an upper market level or don't get hours, so get your facts in order. I'm sorry you don't choose to invest in the only decent benefit we have left, which isn't my fault either. My retirement is nothing to get excited about, even if the bulk of it is under the old Traditional Plan.

If you are getting screwed over, it isn't with my blessing. As I have said many times, I abhor the way this company treats employees, and I especially loathe the topout and market level scams. Again, not my fault. And I'm not going to apologize for participating in the 401k, because I want to have a decent retirement and send my kids to college. I'm not going to divest my holdings and take a huge tax hit just so you can feel better about having to retire in the Phillipines, Argentina or freaking wherever else you're going to go.

Get off my ass, because I'm not your enemy.

​Stop telling me and others we're spineless wimps while you participate in the 401k and you won't hear a word from me.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
​Stop telling me and others we're spineless wimps while you participate in the 401k and you won't hear a word from me.

Sorry, taking it in the ass from Fred every day absolutely makes all of the "accommodators" spineless wimps. You folks are the ones who continue to do Purple Promise level work in return for nothing, and when you have an opportunity to lose a customer for FedEx...you don't take it. Why continue to give quality service for an employer that considers you completely disposable? Participating in a 401k does not make me a collaborator in the sense that you are insinuating.

DontThrowPackages

The thing about being part time is that they can't force one to stay past their scheduled time. This can be damaging to a work plan especially during a peek or even mass late freight. Expect the senior most koolaid drinkers to remain as FTers, ones willing walk through a yard of pitbulls because its the only thing standing in the way of making morning goal. The rest of the roster will be 21 years old, living with mom, PTers. They'll work for 3 years, get a few more tattoos and or ear hoops and quit. The next new hire will be another 21 year old. He'll be no different than the last. I don't know how the numbers will allow for this but I guess if it can make a buck, they'll force it to.

vantexan

Sorry, taking it in the ass from Fred every day absolutely makes all of the "accommodators" spineless wimps. You folks are the ones who continue to do Purple Promise level work in return for nothing, and when you have an opportunity to lose a customer for FedEx...you don't take it. Why continue to give quality service for an employer that considers you completely disposable? Participating in a 401k does not make me a collaborator in the sense that you are insinuating.

If money is the only yardstick you judge your work by then I feel sorry for you. A major reason this country is in the toilet is too many people expecting something without having to work hard for it. Granted FedEx expects hard work with no reward but that's their problem. I owe it to myself to maintain my values no matter what they do short of committing felonies.

bbsam

Staff member
Excuse me. All this Express infighting is beginning to bore those of us at Ground. All that inward hatred will give you heart burn.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If money is the only yardstick you judge your work by then I feel sorry for you. A major reason this country is in the toilet is too many people expecting something without having to work hard for it. Granted FedEx expects hard work with no reward but that's their problem. I owe it to myself to maintain my values no matter what they do short of committing felonies.

I would much rather have a job that is intrinsically satisfying than one that provided an excellent income, At FedEx, I have neither. Your Horatio Alger line is wearing thin for me because your logic is reversed IMO. A major reason that this country is in the toilet is that too many employers expect hard work without having to pay a decent wage for it, helping to weaken the middle class and dragging down spending power in a consumer society. All you have to do is look to the South and Mid-South at the Right To Work (for less) states. GOP/Libertarian nirvana. Your values sound suspiciously like those of the Right Wing, and seeing as you are not the beneficiary of your work ethic, how does that square with your bootstrapping rhetoric?

vantexan

I would much rather have a job that is intrinsically satisfying than one that provided an excellent income, At FedEx, I have neither. Your Horatio Alger line is wearing thin for me because your logic is reversed IMO. A major reason that this country is in the toilet is that too many employers expect hard work without having to pay a decent wage for it, helping to weaken the middle class and dragging down spending power in a consumer society. All you have to do is look to the South and Mid-South at the Right To Work (for less) states. GOP/Libertarian nirvana. Your values sound suspiciously like those of the Right Wing, and seeing as you are not the beneficiary of your work ethic, how does that square with your bootstrapping rhetoric?

When was being a courier ever intrinsically satisfying? It's a job, period. And at the end of the day better to have a job in the South than sitting on my ass in the North because unions pushed too hard. I'm not happy with what they're doing but who is? But this idea you seem to be floating that we can control how they run the business with a union is just baloney. They are going to do what they want and if we somehow managed to get a union in, which we won't under these conditions, all it would insure is that they'd shrink Express to a nub while expanding Ground as much as possible. Or they'd fire union members and replace them with newhires. We aren't highly skilled autoworkers that can negotiate or any other kind of highly skilled worker. We deliver pkgs, and they've made it easier than ever even without DRA. Stop selling BS to people who want to lash back at the company. In the end I'll walk out knowing I did my best. In the end you'll still walk out without the high pay and good benefits you want and you'll leave thinking if only you could screw with them some more. You said yourself you aren't in it for revenge and yet you just pointed out that guys like me aren't taking the opportunity to lose FedEx a customer. Sounds to me like you want to stick it to them. THE ONLY THING THAT TRULY WORKS IS HARD WORK, AND WHAT YOU LIBS ARE SELLING IS SOME UTOPIAN LIFESTYLE WHERE YOU HAVE PLENTY WITH LITTLE EFFORT. SOUNDS GREAT, DOESN'T WORK. Work hard until you don't have to, then step aside and give a kid a chance. I want independence, am willing to work for it, and when it comes those trying to pay for their consumer lifestyle will still be stuck in a job they don't love working for users. I'll have better things to do with my time.

MAKAVELI

When was being a courier ever intrinsically satisfying? It's a job, period. And at the end of the day better to have a job in the South than sitting on my ass in the North because unions pushed too hard. I'm not happy with what they're doing but who is? But this idea you seem to be floating that we can control how they run the business with a union is just baloney. They are going to do what they want and if we somehow managed to get a union in, which we won't under these conditions, all it would insure is that they'd shrink Express to a nub while expanding Ground as much as possible. Or they'd fire union members and replace them with newhires. We aren't highly skilled autoworkers that can negotiate or any other kind of highly skilled worker. We deliver pkgs, and they've made it easier than ever even without DRA. Stop selling BS to people who want to lash back at the company. In the end I'll walk out knowing I did my best. In the end you'll still walk out without the high pay and good benefits you want and you'll leave thinking if only you could screw with them some more. You said yourself you aren't in it for revenge and yet you just pointed out that guys like me aren't taking the opportunity to lose FedEx a customer. Sounds to me like you want to stick it to them. THE ONLY THING THAT TRULY WORKS IS HARD WORK, AND WHAT YOU LIBS ARE SELLING IS SOME UTOPIAN LIFESTYLE WHERE YOU HAVE PLENTY WITH LITTLE EFFORT. SOUNDS GREAT, DOESN'T WORK. Work hard until you don't have to, then step aside and give a kid a chance. I want independence, am willing to work for it, and when it comes those trying to pay for their consumer lifestyle will still be stuck in a job they don't love working for users. I'll have better things to do with my time.
Get off your high horse and realize you are no different than any of us. We don't work for consumer lifestyles. We work to support our families. You are not the only person in this company that works hard. For the most part we all do. Some more than others but it's that way in any job. We don't have to have a specific skill to organize and negotiate fair wages and working conditions. There are many industries that have union representation that are classified as unskilled or semi skilled. UPS seems to be doing quite well with union representation doing the same job we do. And FedEx could not legally fire a union worker and hire a non union worker in their place. So stop trying to spread fear and misinformation to discourage anyone from trying to form a union. It's just pathetic. If you believe you can't enact positive changes and just have to accept the status quo, then that's your choice. If I were you I wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince others that we should just cower with our tails between our legs and getting on our knees and thanking the all mighty Fred S for our jobs. I would just do my job and bide my time.

vantexan

Get off your high horse and realize you are no different than any of us. We don't work for consumer lifestyles. We work to support our families. You are not the only person in this company that works hard. For the most part we all do. Some more than others but it's that way in any job. We don't have to have a specific skill to organize and negotiate fair wages and working conditions. There are many industries that have union representation that are classified as unskilled or semi skilled. UPS seems to be doing quite well with union representation doing the same job we do. And FedEx could not legally fire a union worker and hire a non union worker in their place. So stop trying to spread fear and misinformation to discourage anyone from trying to form a union. It's just pathetic. If you believe you can't enact positive changes and just have to accept the status quo, then that's your choice. If I were you I wouldn't spend so much time trying to convince others that we should just cower with our tails between our legs and getting on our knees and thanking the all mighty Fred S for our jobs. I would just do my job and bide my time.

As long as I'm being told that I'm a cowering wimp for just doing my job I'm going to speak up. All the belly aching on this forum hasn't gotten us any closer to a union, and I'm not going to give anyone false hope that we can get one. Name these places that are unskilled or semi skilled. There has to be certain circumstances that would give them leverage in a strike, such as garbage collectors. Anyone can deliver packages and FedEx can order striking workers to either return to work or be fired, although that may be in accordance with a particular state's laws. You may not have to have a specific skill to organize but in Fed's case your skill is easily replaced. And to organize you are pretty much going to have to get us out of the RLA and until you do y'all can talk about signing cards all you want you just aren't going to get a vote. That's not fear mongering, just the hard truth. If it weren't the truth MFE and R1a wouldn't be sneering at all of us spineless wimps. The one thing that will make a difference is if working class people everywhere divest themselves from their 401k plan as it cuts off the lifeblood of the system that's screwing all of us. Divesting from stocks forced white South Africans to give up apartheid and it's really the only language the rich understand. Those that make money from such a system have no moral authority to tell us we're cowards if they refuse to sacrifice themselves.

MAKAVELI

As long as I'm being told that I'm a cowering wimp for just doing my job I'm going to speak up. All the belly aching on this forum hasn't gotten us any closer to a union, and I'm not going to give anyone false hope that we can get one. Name these places that are unskilled or semi skilled. There has to be certain circumstances that would give them leverage in a strike, such as garbage collectors. Anyone can deliver packages and FedEx can order striking workers to either return to work or be fired, although that may be in accordance with a particular state's laws. You may not have to have a specific skill to organize but in Fed's case your skill is easily replaced. And to organize you are pretty much going to have to get us out of the RLA and until you do y'all can talk about signing cards all you want you just aren't going to get a vote. That's not fear mongering, just the hard truth. If it weren't the truth MFE and R1a wouldn't be sneering at all of us spineless wimps. The one thing that will make a difference is if working class people everywhere divest themselves from their 401k plan as it cuts off the lifeblood of the system that's screwing all of us. Divesting from stocks forced white South Africans to give up apartheid and it's really the only language the rich understand. Those that make money from such a system have no moral authority to tell us we're cowards if they refuse to sacrifice themselves.
Lets start with many grocery workers, hospitality, truck drivers, government workers, farm workers, flight attendants just to name a few. And no FedEx couldn't just fire workers on strike unless it is explicitly forbidden in the contract, or due to job classification rules such as public safety. You really need to stop spreading misinformation.

bbsam

Staff member
Probably the closest you'll come to organizing anyway--bickering back and forth. That's what passes for activism anymore. At least before you guys would hate on Ground. Now you've turned on yourselves. Pathetic actually.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Check the entire thread. Do you see me arguing with anyone from Express?

Maybe the others are just doing it to ruin your day.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't agree with him but let him have his opinion. He probably doesn't agree with me all the time either.