PVD (beating a dead horse?)

BrownSnowFlake

Don’t listen to the guys on here too much. They’re mostly bitter old financially illiterate divorcees who live paycheck-to-paycheck and have nothing going on in their life except sitting on a farty old driver’s seat, going around in circles milking the clock.

Work as quickly and safely as you can then ask for more work so I can get home before dark.

Thebrownblob

Don’t listen to the guys on here too much. They’re mostly bitter old financially illiterate divorcees who live paycheck-to-paycheck and have nothing going on in their life except sitting on a farty old driver’s seat, going around in circles milking the clock.

Work as quickly and safely as you can then ask for more work so I can get home before dark.
It’ll be dark here by 4:30 next week lol

nWo

Is important to mention that PVDs are not contractors. They are seasonal employees. People keep calling them contractors. That is factually incorrect.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
New as a PVD. Really didn't know a thing about this site and just happened across it today looking up UPS stuff. Today was day 1. Let me say... I wish I would have known about some stuff like how the union works beforehand...

Mainly 1 question as it seems sentiments have changed over time as I have been reading on here.

How do I keep in good graces with the drivers? A few, of course, look at me like a scab and I did not understand it until reading posts here. Some seem to treat you like a human. In reality I knew this was a foot in the door and a seasonal position. I know my job ends abruptly. I want to have a decent "marking" on my employment with UPS in the eventuality I may sign for a warehouse position. Rural deliveries had less than 40 stops, 70 miles. Using a small 4door sedan with the back seat gutted.

What's the best help a PVD can be to you regular employees without stepping on toes, and still make myself feel I've accomplished something for the day?
Why didn’t you just take a warehouse position in the first place?

From my understanding of day 2, some of these drivers need and want the help. 3 trailers loaded to the top with 5 drivers total. We all had 100+ packages. One of the PVDs was still 30 stops deep at 3pm... so I get why PVDs get a bad reputation just for being in the role. A lot of these people hired on are useless. I've seen some of the driver helpers... I am sorry for what you UPS drivers go through.

The closest warehouse to me is 50+ miles, with the warehouse I had orientation at was 83 miles one way. Driving that distance every single day for part time work isn't sustainable. I would need a 2nd job to make it even viable. I live in the mountains. 100 miles to Atlanta ga 100 miles to Chattanooga TN 150 miles to KY. Smack in the middle where no UPS is located. Closest warehouse is 3000+ feet up a mountain and back down the other aide over yonder.. not really gas friendly.

What is this referral program and does it have any weight on being hired above the next guy coming in off the street? I am able to see the job listing, 99% is warehouse part time work.

Pullman Brown

What’s a “farty old driver seat”?

Why would anyone? 15$ an hour to get nigged out when you can chill in your car and make $20+
More like using less than half a tank of gas, 5 gallons, and making over $100 in just gas milage a day, let alone hourly rate. That's the difference... 150+ miles at .65 a mile. Plus the $21 an hour... some people will say wear and tear doesn't add up but I look at it by the time I'm done by January I will be able to buy another beater and fix and still make profit.

So there's the mindset of working as a warehouse part time vs PVD. My foot in the door idea wasn't supposed to be a union hurting job but on the other hand it's a bad feeling to miss the much needed cash in these desperate times.

(40+ mpg it's like 3 gallons of gas out of the profit)

More like using less than half a tank of gas, 5 gallons, and making over $100 in just gas milage a day, let alone hourly rate. That's the difference... 150+ miles at .65 a mile. Plus the $21 an hour... some people will say wear and tear doesn't add up but I look at it by the time I'm done by January I will be able to buy another beater and fix and still make profit.

So there's the mindset of working as a warehouse part time vs PVD. My foot in the door idea wasn't supposed to be a union hurting job but on the other hand it's a bad feeling to miss the much needed cash in these desperate times.

(40+ mpg it's like 3 gallons of gas out of the profit)
Well nobody asked you scab

Congratulations on get rid of your future hopefully you don't vote on the next contract
I sadly hate to agree with you. I was with IBEW for 4 years and UFCW 951 union for a shorter period. The fact that UPS is allowed to hire people not recognized by UPS union regulations is a swift door to job loss for everyone.

I do not have the option to join the UPS union as a PVD. Let that sink in. Temporary employee or not, this spells disaster in the long run. I am not covered under your union doing the same job at a lower pay using my own property to do a good portion of the same job you do... Unless UPS plans to make some massive income from UPS drivers only picking up packages then your job is not as safe as you'd hope in the long run. All it would take is a union leadership that heads the wrong direction one time.

However, I get you don't want overtime every week. This is not how it should be done. That should be negotiated in a contract and more full time drivers hired.

I am to assume this PVD thing is something relatively new to UPS then? Or at least new to most areas?

nWo

And before that we stole a bunch of shopping carts from Piggly Wiggly and had them just push those down the middle of the street.

I sadly hate to agree with you. I was with IBEW for 4 years and UFCW 951 union for a shorter period. The fact that UPS is allowed to hire people not recognized by UPS union regulations is a swift door to job loss for everyone.

I do not have the option to join the UPS union as a PVD. Let that sink in. Temporary employee or not, this spells disaster in the long run. I am not covered under your union doing the same job at a lower pay using my own property to do a good portion of the same job you do... Unless UPS plans to make some massive income from UPS drivers only picking up packages then your job is not as safe as you'd hope in the long run. All it would take is a union leadership that heads the wrong direction one time.

However, I get you don't want overtime every week. This is not how it should be done. That should be negotiated in a contract and more full time drivers hired.

I am to assume this PVD thing is something relatively new to UPS then? Or at least new to most areas?
It's a direct violation of our contract