PVD going rogue

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Like the boss is gonna tell you you did a crap job with only a couple days of peak left. Lmao, “you’re amazing!”
The real world isnt used to the situation here. You only believe it when you experience it.

Only believe what you actually see on paper concerning your employment (read it over and ask questions about anything you dont quite understand) and remember the contract will not be your best friend if you are not already a permanent employee.

There continues to be a union representing ups employees for a reason.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
They literally asked me if I would be interested in driving the brownie
Did they tell you that IF you "drove the brownie" (that sounds weird) you'd be laid off for months at a time? On call for two years or more?
I hope you get the whole story and if you're in a right to work state or not you better get the union rep over your prospective building on the phone and get the rest of the story.

MattM

PVD to FT driving is a dream scenario. UPS doesn’t make dreams come true. 90% of drivers have to jump through major hoops, some waiting 7-8 years just to drive. And you thought you’d get in after 3 weeks doing a suppressed route with no real #s.

You had on training wheels on a scooter and thought you could be a professional motorcycle racer.

They hyped you up.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Guess @UpstateNYUPSer wuz correct about a 2 tier driver pool w/o those 22.4s

giphy.gif

Union better step up

Maplewood

Yeah so after being kept till the 15th and given a pretty good amount of hours after the new year they’ve gone to having me call in every morning to see if I’m working. Woke up early as :censored2: the past two days now just to call and realize they don’t need me. One of the on road sups told me I was killing it and they were looking to add me as a full time driver, but then when I went in Friday he said he was waiting for “other drivers to quit.”

What the :censored2: does that even mean waiting for other drivers to quit. And how the :censored2: am I supposed to make a living calling in every morning not knowing if I have work like I can’t line up another job if I have to do that. They like me and I must say it was probably the best seasonal gig I could’ve asked for and I’m nothing but grateful at the end of it, but they need to either give me a set schedule or tell me I better look elsewhere until it gets busy again

You should file for unenjoyment!

Delivery!!!

Yeah I know it was a seasonal job but they basically said since I was killing it that they were going to look into hiring me full time
Let them know your interest in taking a full time job as a driver, but find yourself some work elsewhere in the mean time. You need to look after yourself first. I got called back about 6 to 8 months later and was offered a full time permanent spot.

ManInBrown

Yeah so after being kept till the 15th and given a pretty good amount of hours after the new year they’ve gone to having me call in every morning to see if I’m working. Woke up early as :censored2: the past two days now just to call and realize they don’t need me. One of the on road sups told me I was killing it and they were looking to add me as a full time driver, but then when I went in Friday he said he was waiting for “other drivers to quit.”

What the :censored2: does that even mean waiting for other drivers to quit. And how the :censored2: am I supposed to make a living calling in every morning not knowing if I have work like I can’t line up another job if I have to do that. They like me and I must say it was probably the best seasonal gig I could’ve asked for and I’m nothing but grateful at the end of it, but they need to either give me a set schedule or tell me I better look elsewhere until it gets busy again
I’ll save you the trouble. Look elsewhere.

myback

Q, go down there and block their driveway and tell them you’re not moving until u get a job. Pour alcohol on yourself and randomly start speaking in tongues when they try to give u excuses, don’t take no for an answer, you’re the man.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I still think you were crazy for delivering out of your private vehicle but I wish you luck. Even if they were to hire you tomorrow, you would most likely be facing lengthy layoffs this time of year. Your going to have to have patience if you want to get on full time.

Don’t make a pest of yourself but definitely keep checking back in and let them know you are eager to work. They will remember you when it comes time to hire if you were indeed a good worker.

Just know that what you did as a PVD is not even close to what a full time driver goes through each day. Making deliveries each day is the easy part of the job. All the responsibilities that come with it is what will drive you crazy and make an old man out of you.

Queso

I still think you were crazy for delivering out of your private vehicle but I wish you luck. Even if they were to hire you tomorrow, you would most likely be facing lengthy layoffs this time of year. Your going to have to have patience if you want to get on full time.

Don’t make a pest of yourself but definitely keep checking back in and let them know you are eager to work. They will remember you when it comes time to hire if you were indeed a good worker.

Just know that what you did as a PVD is not even close to what a full time driver goes through each day. Making deliveries each day is the easy part of the job. All the responsibilities that come with it is what will drive you crazy and make an old man out of you.

Oh trust me I know that being a PVD is different than being an actual full time package car driver. A few days they didn’t have the phones ready to go and the drivers I was with just had me hop in and ride shotgun as a helper since I had no board to work with, and I can definitely see that everyone who drives here earns that pay.

It wasn’t what I dreamed of doing as a child but it also seems like a pretty good deal if I get hired off the street. I’m just going to tell them I am definitely interested in driving full time but I can’t afford to drop everything else to call in every morning and maybe work once in a while

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Oh trust me I know that being a PVD is different than being an actual full time package car driver. A few days they didn’t have the phones ready to go and the drivers I was with just had me hop in and ride shotgun as a helper since I had no board to work with, and I can definitely see that everyone who drives here earns that pay.

It wasn’t what I dreamed of doing as a child but it also seems like a pretty good deal if I get hired off the street. I’m just going to tell them I am definitely interested in driving full time but I can’t afford to drop everything else to call in every morning and maybe work once in a while

ups will say. “Oh you can’t wait around for us. Sad story. Next!”