PVD going rogue

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Queso, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Good luck to you.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  2. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

UPS Management lied to you.
    Just typical of how they do things.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  3. Boywondr

Boywondr The truth never changes.

The real world isnt used to the situation here. You only believe it when you experience it.

Only believe what you actually see on paper concerning your employment (read it over and ask questions about anything you dont quite understand) and remember the contract will not be your best friend if you are not already a permanent employee.

There continues to be a union representing ups employees for a reason.

4. Boywondr

Boywondr The truth never changes.

Did they tell you that IF you "drove the brownie" (that sounds weird) you'd be laid off for months at a time? On call for two years or more?
    I hope you get the whole story and if you're in a right to work state or not you better get the union rep over your prospective building on the phone and get the rest of the story.

5. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

I sincerely hope we are ALL wrong... every center is different

Mebbe that 6:1 hiring ratio has to take it's course first???

6. 22.4 bids are going up and depending where you are at many drivers are retiring this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. MattM

MattM Active Member

PVD to FT driving is a dream scenario. UPS doesn’t make dreams come true. 90% of drivers have to jump through major hoops, some waiting 7-8 years just to drive. And you thought you’d get in after 3 weeks doing a suppressed route with no real #s.

You had on training wheels on a scooter and thought you could be a professional motorcycle racer.

They hyped you up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

Guess @UpstateNYUPSer wuz correct about a 2 tier driver pool w/o those 22.4s

[​IMG]

Union better step up

9. Maplewood

Maplewood Active Member

You should file for unenjoyment!

10. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

As you can tell from all the responses UPS has been playing you like a fiddle. They are experts at it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Delivery!!!

Delivery!!! Member

Let them know your interest in taking a full time job as a driver, but find yourself some work elsewhere in the mean time. You need to look after yourself first. I got called back about 6 to 8 months later and was offered a full time permanent spot.

12. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

That hurts, they don't tell me that. But then again I suck, so who cares...

13. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

I’ll save you the trouble. Look elsewhere.

14. myback

myback Member

Q, go down there and block their driveway and tell them you’re not moving until u get a job. Pour alcohol on yourself and randomly start speaking in tongues when they try to give u excuses, don’t take no for an answer, you’re the man.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Harley Rider

Harley Rider 34 yrs & done!

I still think you were crazy for delivering out of your private vehicle but I wish you luck. Even if they were to hire you tomorrow, you would most likely be facing lengthy layoffs this time of year. Your going to have to have patience if you want to get on full time.

Don’t make a pest of yourself but definitely keep checking back in and let them know you are eager to work. They will remember you when it comes time to hire if you were indeed a good worker.

Just know that what you did as a PVD is not even close to what a full time driver goes through each day. Making deliveries each day is the easy part of the job. All the responsibilities that come with it is what will drive you crazy and make an old man out of you.

16. sandwich

sandwich The resident gearhead

That’s why you get a split off me everyday.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Queso

Queso Member

Oh trust me I know that being a PVD is different than being an actual full time package car driver. A few days they didn’t have the phones ready to go and the drivers I was with just had me hop in and ride shotgun as a helper since I had no board to work with, and I can definitely see that everyone who drives here earns that pay.

It wasn’t what I dreamed of doing as a child but it also seems like a pretty good deal if I get hired off the street. I’m just going to tell them I am definitely interested in driving full time but I can’t afford to drop everything else to call in every morning and maybe work once in a while

18. Nine5

Nine5 Member

Dont ever believe a word they say....lies and more lies

19. sandwich

sandwich The resident gearhead

ups will say. “Oh you can’t wait around for us. Sad story. Next!”

20. Queso

Queso Member

I just don’t understand what the point of leading someone on this late in peak would be