PVD going rogue

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Queso, Jan 15, 2020.

1. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Easiest way to get a FT driving job is to work PT until a FT job opens up and bid on it. Otherwise you are hoping to be that 1 out of 6 open FT spots. The odds are not in your favor.

2. Utility81

Utility81 Member

They LOVE runners. You’ll get a job in due time.

3. zubenelgenubi

zubenelgenubi Well-Known Member

When you say you woke up early, how early? Like 2 am early? If so, they may be trying to get you to work preload.

4. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

They used to tell me I’m the best driver in the center. Now I work till 10pm every night.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. KoennenTiger

KoennenTiger Active Member

I've seen em hire seasonals full time. They get to bring in a few runners. They just disappear for six months before you see them every day as a cover guy. Little mezzo guy smiling at me, they hired me full time. Oh but that no longer even means I can give you my board and say cool, see you tomorrow

I dunno wtf that could mean for you anymore
    Maybe in July I'll see you again and you'll be a 22.4 so I'll barely see you.

Tell me your name again in a year bro. I'll remember it then

Nice to meet you

6. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Yawn

7. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

They don't collect dues or initiation fees here from seasonal, I guess because Florida is a right to work state? The Local will set up a table out front of the guard shack in a couple of weeks from now hitting up all the people that kept after peak to sign up for membership.

8. AwashBwashCwash

AwashBwashCwash Active Member

Why do all these PVD guys think they're just gonna waltz into being a FT driver?
    How about put 5 years in on preload first and then come talk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

I dunno, a local UPS seasonal got hired off the street after peak 2018. It all depends on the center.

@Whither also made it due to inside info that his local center was in desperate need of FT drivers (shrugs)

A few others also chimed in on being off the street hires...

10. Nine5

Nine5 Member

To Keep your morale up...

11. Queso

Queso Member

Well it worked for a little while I guess

12. Queso

Queso Member

6am to call in and see what the situation was. Still pointless to wake up that early to just hold my chode

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Faceplanted

Faceplanted Well-Known Member

Your done bro. They literally can no longer use you after Jan 15. Your gonna have to wait around for hr call you. Decent chances you get offered p/t warehouse job, slim to none chances you get offered any type of driving position.... if I was betting on your situation I would Bet no way on any driving position.

Take the p/t gig if offered, in the mean time sign up for classes at your local tech school and learn a trade.

You think you were a stand out, but there was probably 5-6 more pvds just in the center you worked for that busted there ass and believed the ups lies too. So even if there is 1 driving position open, it doesn’t mean it’s yours.

I hope you learned a valuable life lesson from this situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

Nah bro
    Getting hired off the street is where it is at.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Seasonals...

16. Whither

Whither Scofflaw

We still need drivers. But that didn't stop em from stringing along several people. One scratched his route more than 5 times during peak and nevertheless they brought him into the office a couple weeks back 'sorry, you're seasonal, we'll give you a shot later' because 'you didn't have enough sup ride-alongs to complete the packet.' The unfortunate fact is, the union hasn't negotiated (ever, it seems from what I read here?) any say in the qualification process.

• List
  17. Queso

Queso Member

I me
    I wasn’t banking on becoming a full time driver after peak at any point except for towards the very end after being egged on by management. I’ve already got other work lined up and I’m not going to call in every morning and jack myself off with this :censored2:. They know what’s good, they know what the drivers I was working with told them, and I’m probably not too far down the booty call list come September

18. Skull_Leader

Skull_Leader Member

Why do you think there's a relation between Driving and doing preload? Why do you think it's reasonable to be expected to do 5 years of preload before they can do the job they actually want? because it took you that long, and you want to drag everyone else down to your level?

Why do you assume that we don't expect to do preload before becoming a driver? While I think it's BS that we should need to, I'm fully expecting to do some preload. We're fully aware that there's a process, and simply want to get started towards that goal. (However, I am NOT doing 5 years of it. I'll give at most a year, before moving on to something else).

and also, some guys ARE being hired off the street to Full time driver.

19. 35years

35years Well-Known Member

You have no clue.
    You accepted a part time position. Wait your turn. It's all how much seniority you have.
    There is no "process"
    There is no working towards a goal.
    There is no dragging anyone down to their level.

You wait your turn. If it is 5 years in your bldg....That's what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Skull_Leader

Skull_Leader Member

There is no "Turn"
    If it's 5 years (It's not), then I simply wont work there.
    That's what it is.