PVD going rogue

PT Car Washer

I just don’t understand what the point of leading someone on this late in peak would be
Easiest way to get a FT driving job is to work PT until a FT job opens up and bid on it. Otherwise you are hoping to be that 1 out of 6 open FT spots. The odds are not in your favor.

Utility81

Yeah so after being kept till the 15th and given a pretty good amount of hours after the new year they’ve gone to having me call in every morning to see if I’m working. Woke up early as :censored2: the past two days now just to call and realize they don’t need me. One of the on road sups told me I was killing it and they were looking to add me as a full time driver, but then when I went in Friday he said he was waiting for “other drivers to quit.”

What the :censored2: does that even mean waiting for other drivers to quit. And how the :censored2: am I supposed to make a living calling in every morning not knowing if I have work like I can’t line up another job if I have to do that. They like me and I must say it was probably the best seasonal gig I could’ve asked for and I’m nothing but grateful at the end of it, but they need to either give me a set schedule or tell me I better look elsewhere until it gets busy again
They LOVE runners. You’ll get a job in due time.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yeah so after being kept till the 15th and given a pretty good amount of hours after the new year they’ve gone to having me call in every morning to see if I’m working. Woke up early as :censored2: the past two days now just to call and realize they don’t need me. One of the on road sups told me I was killing it and they were looking to add me as a full time driver, but then when I went in Friday he said he was waiting for “other drivers to quit.”

What the :censored2: does that even mean waiting for other drivers to quit. And how the :censored2: am I supposed to make a living calling in every morning not knowing if I have work like I can’t line up another job if I have to do that. They like me and I must say it was probably the best seasonal gig I could’ve asked for and I’m nothing but grateful at the end of it, but they need to either give me a set schedule or tell me I better look elsewhere until it gets busy again

When you say you woke up early, how early? Like 2 am early? If so, they may be trying to get you to work preload.

KoennenTiger

Yeah I know it was a seasonal job but they basically said since I was killing it that they were going to look into hiring me full time

I've seen em hire seasonals full time. They get to bring in a few runners. They just disappear for six months before you see them every day as a cover guy. Little mezzo guy smiling at me, they hired me full time. Oh but that no longer even means I can give you my board and say cool, see you tomorrow

I dunno wtf that could mean for you anymore
Maybe in July I'll see you again and you'll be a 22.4 so I'll barely see you.

Tell me your name again in a year bro. I'll remember it then

Nice to meet you

Johney

Can he ask for the union fees back then?

How come in other hubs/centers they don't collect? (shrugs)
They don't collect dues or initiation fees here from seasonal, I guess because Florida is a right to work state? The Local will set up a table out front of the guard shack in a couple of weeks from now hitting up all the people that kept after peak to sign up for membership.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I dunno, a local UPS seasonal got hired off the street after peak 2018. It all depends on the center.

@Whither also made it due to inside info that his local center was in desperate need of FT drivers (shrugs)

A few others also chimed in on being off the street hires...

Faceplanted

6am to call in and see what the situation was. Still pointless to wake up that early to just hold my chode
Your done bro. They literally can no longer use you after Jan 15. Your gonna have to wait around for hr call you. Decent chances you get offered p/t warehouse job, slim to none chances you get offered any type of driving position.... if I was betting on your situation I would Bet no way on any driving position.

Take the p/t gig if offered, in the mean time sign up for classes at your local tech school and learn a trade.

You think you were a stand out, but there was probably 5-6 more pvds just in the center you worked for that busted there ass and believed the ups lies too. So even if there is 1 driving position open, it doesn’t mean it’s yours.

I hope you learned a valuable life lesson from this situation.

Whither

Scofflaw
I dunno, a local UPS seasonal got hired off the street after peak 2018. It all depends on the center.

@Whither also made it due to inside info that his local center was in desperate need of FT drivers (shrugs)

A few others also chimed in on being off the street hires...

We still need drivers. But that didn't stop em from stringing along several people. One scratched his route more than 5 times during peak and nevertheless they brought him into the office a couple weeks back 'sorry, you're seasonal, we'll give you a shot later' because 'you didn't have enough sup ride-alongs to complete the packet.' The unfortunate fact is, the union hasn't negotiated (ever, it seems from what I read here?) any say in the qualification process.

Queso

We still need drivers. But that didn't stop em from stringing along several people. One scratched his route more than 5 times during peak and nevertheless they brought him into the office a couple weeks back 'sorry, you're seasonal, we'll give you a shot later' because 'you didn't have enough sup ride-alongs to complete the packet.' The unfortunate fact is, the union hasn't negotiated (ever, it seems from what I read here?) any say in the qualification process.

I me
Your done bro. They literally can no longer use you after Jan 15. Your gonna have to wait around for hr call you. Decent chances you get offered p/t warehouse job, slim to none chances you get offered any type of driving position.... if I was betting on your situation I would Bet no way on any driving position.

Take the p/t gig if offered, in the mean time sign up for classes at your local tech school and learn a trade.

You think you were a stand out, but there was probably 5-6 more pvds just in the center you worked for that busted there ass and believed the ups lies too. So even if there is 1 driving position open, it doesn’t mean it’s yours.

I hope you learned a valuable life lesson from this situation.

I wasn’t banking on becoming a full time driver after peak at any point except for towards the very end after being egged on by management. I’ve already got other work lined up and I’m not going to call in every morning and jack myself off with this :censored2:. They know what’s good, they know what the drivers I was working with told them, and I’m probably not too far down the booty call list come September

Skull_Leader

Why do all these PVD guys think they're just gonna waltz into being a FT driver?
How about put 5 years in on preload first and then come talk.

Why do you think there's a relation between Driving and doing preload? Why do you think it's reasonable to be expected to do 5 years of preload before they can do the job they actually want? because it took you that long, and you want to drag everyone else down to your level?

Why do you assume that we don't expect to do preload before becoming a driver? While I think it's BS that we should need to, I'm fully expecting to do some preload. We're fully aware that there's a process, and simply want to get started towards that goal. (However, I am NOT doing 5 years of it. I'll give at most a year, before moving on to something else).

and also, some guys ARE being hired off the street to Full time driver.

35years

Gravy route
Why do you think it's reasonable to be expected to do 5 years of preload before they can do the job they actually want? because it took you that long, and you want to drag everyone else down to your level?

We're fully aware that there's a process, and simply want to get started towards that goal. (However, I am NOT doing 5 years of it. I'll give at most a year, before moving on to something else).

and also, some guys ARE being hired off the street to Full time driver.
You have no clue.
You accepted a part time position. Wait your turn. It's all how much seniority you have.
There is no "process"
There is no working towards a goal.
There is no dragging anyone down to their level.

You wait your turn. If it is 5 years in your bldg....That's what it is.