PVD going rogue

35years

Gravy route
There is no "Turn"
If it's 5 years (It's not), then I simply wont work there.
That's what it is.
Seniority rules.
That means you put in your time...wait your "turn".
I suggest you actually talk to someone who has made it to full time from part time, and see how long it took to win a bid.

If you were a PVD and didn't accept a part time position...
Then see you next peak.

Last edited:

Queso

Seniority rules.
That means you put in your time...wait your "turn".
I suggest you actually talk to someone who has made it to full time from part time, and see how long it took to win a bid.

If you were a PVD and didn't accept a part time position...
Then see you next peak.

Seniority rules but the company can hire me off the street if they want anyways. Doing preload doesn’t mean you know two :censored2:s about whipping in the brownie and doing the job well, and that’s why my sup said straight up they have quite a few drivers that blow. It’s a hard job and not for everyone so there’s nothing to be ashamed of for any of those guys, but the fact of the matter is hiring people who are good off the street makes sense and there’s a reason some of the dudes that work inside work inside (other drivers I worked with said the same thing)

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So much wrong here.

Seniority rules but the company can hire me off the street if they want anyways.
Nope.
If you're in my local, and the company tries that, and it isn't in the 6:1 ratio, I'll be filing a grievance the minute your boots touch a package car.
And that one is an easy win.

Doing preload doesn’t mean you know two :censored2:s about whipping in the brownie and doing the job well
Same goes for being a PVD. However as a driver, I'll know how the preloader thinks, having already done that job. Can't find something? Check the end of the 8000 shelf to see if they forgot it. Look for a single bulk piece they rolled it into the back last. Etc...

the fact of the matter is hiring people who are good off the street makes sense and there’s a reason some of the dudes that work inside work inside
There are absolutely a bunch of pothead burnouts who shouldn't be drivers working inside.
But that doesn't mean you get to skip over them. They get their fair shot at 30 days in order of seniority.

You weren't special. Management needed you, and they were willing to tell you whatever they needed to to keep your spirits up.
They don't need you now. See how they are treating you?
You were lied to. The sooner you wrap your head around that, the sooner you'll understand UPS as a whole.

The Driver

I drive.
Yeah I know it was a seasonal job but they basically said since I was killing it that they were going to look into hiring me full time

Son, let me give you a little bit of free advice... Just as with women, watch what UPS does, never listen to what they say. You were being led down a primrose path, sir.

Sometime in the spring they MIGHT call you up to 22.4 combo.

Queso

So much wrong here.

Nope.
If you're in my local, and the company tries that, and it isn't in the 6:1 ratio, I'll be filing a grievance the minute your boots touch a package car.
And that one is an easy win.

Same goes for being a PVD. However as a driver, I'll know how the preloader thinks, having already done that job. Can't find something? Check the end of the 8000 shelf to see if they forgot it. Look for a single bulk piece they rolled it into the back last. Etc...

There are absolutely a bunch of pothead burnouts who shouldn't be drivers working inside.
But that doesn't mean you get to skip over them. They get their fair shot at 30 days in order of seniority.

You weren't special. Management needed you, and they were willing to tell you whatever they needed to to keep your spirits up.
They don't need you now. See how they are treating you?
You were lied to. The sooner you wrap your head around that, the sooner you'll understand UPS as a whole.

Son, let me give you a little bit of free advice... Just as with women, watch what UPS does, never listen to what they say. You were being led down a primrose path, sir.

Sometime in the spring they MIGHT call you up to 22.4 combo.

Fair advice.
They can call me in if they want, I’m not banking on anything or gunna sit here and waste my time. Management knows what’s good, the drivers I got out early know what’s good, they know what the drivers I worked with told them (I heard it for myself) and they’ll probably be giving me a booty call to come back in around September if they know what’s good for their company.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
There is no "Turn"
If it's 5 years (It's not), then I simply wont work there.
That's what it is.
It's almost ten yrs in an extended center here to get a chance to drive. Everywhere is different.

Btw: no one cares if you stay or leave. Life is all about choices. What you choose to do is your preference and anyone under your seniority with appreciation for a job that has more benefits than most will be glad you bailed out for "greener pastures".

The McDonald's generation is here..."Give it to me now".
SMH

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Fair advice.
They can call me in if they want, I’m not banking on anything or gunna sit here and waste my time. Management knows what’s good, the drivers I got out early know what’s good, they know what the drivers I worked with told them (I heard it for myself) and they’ll probably be giving me a booty call to come back in around September if they know what’s good for their company.
I'm not sure how the company survived without you all these years.

Roller252

It wasn’t what I dreamed of doing as a child but it also seems like a pretty good deal if I get hired off the street. I’m just going to tell them I am definitely interested in driving full time but I can’t afford to drop everything else to call in every morning and maybe work once in a while

Hired off the street after 7 yrs seasonal (3 helper, 4 pkg car driver) it can be done. As others have said it all depends on where u r at, company needs and contract 6:1 My only regret is not learning about / considering this job earlier in life.

Put in the work, be safe, get paid and provide a life for yours

PT Car Washer

Hired off the street after 7 yrs seasonal (3 helper, 4 pkg car driver) it can be done. As others have said it all depends on where u r at, company needs and contract 6:1 My only regret is not learning about / considering this job earlier in life.

Put in the work, be safe, get paid and provide a life for yours
And if you would have worked PT you could have gone FT in 2 years or less.