PVD vs. PT Air Driver

Who has preference for work, A PVD or a PT air driver?

For ground package work? That's tough because PVD is considered a seasonal driver so their primary job is ground work. That said, if I was eligible to drive and someone who wasn't even really an employee got to drive over me, I'd grieve it every day and push it as far as I could.

For ground package work? That's tough because PVD is considered a seasonal driver so their primary job is ground work. That said, if I was eligible to drive and someone who wasn't even really an employee got to drive over me, I'd grieve it every day and push it as far as I could.
That is exactly the question. Sending Union PT air drivers home with 3 hours while non union contractors get all the work. What article does PVD fall under? I was under the impression UPS had to work every Union member qualified to deliver before non union PVD.

542thruNthru

That is exactly the question. Sending Union PT air drivers home with 3 hours while non union contractors get all the work. What article does PVD fall under? I was under the impression UPS had to work every Union member qualified to deliver before non union PVD.
Does you area allow summer seasonal help?

That's the thing, PVD's aren't even covered anywhere in the national or in the west. Idk where you are, but it may be in another supplement somewhere. We've always treated them under the provisions of seasonal package car drivers. As such, ground delivery is their primary job, and under that premise would get ground work during their allowed use. I'm just a dude on another keyboard, so again, I'd grieve it and make someone at a panel or higher either explain it to me, or pay me.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Neither classification has any claim to forward ground packages.

Actually "PVD's" aren't even a negotiated classification to start with and the subject of hundreds (if not thousands) of grievances and arbitrations.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Does you area allow summer seasonal help?
To answer your question yes it is covered in the Central Region Supplement.
This "help" is termed "vacation replacement" and was put into place sometime in the early 2000's, when the Central Region Supplement changed to allow for 17% to be on vacation, up from 10%, from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

The Company can hire these "vacation replacements" from May 1st thru Labor Day.
It is my opinion, that by definition, "vacation replacement" hiring does not allow the Company free gratis to hire as many as they want (as they do during the true "seasonal period") or have them deliver out of personal vehicles....and it certainly does not lift the restrictions on air drivers and what they can deliver and pick up.

Ask yourself this, if they are truly in place to replace vacationing drivers, wouldn't there be an empty seat in a package car somewhere for them to fill?

Last edited:
This "help" is termed "vacation replacement" and was put into place sometime in the early 2000's, when the Central Region Supplement changed to allow for 17% to be on vacation, up from 10%, from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

The Company can hire these "vacation replacements" from May 1st thru Labor Day.
It is my opinion, that by definition, "vacation replacement" hiring does not allow the Company free gratis to hire as many as they want (as they do during the true "seasonal period") or have them deliver out of personal vehicles....and it certainly does not lift the restrictions on air drivers and what they can deliver and pick up.

Ask yourself this, if they are truly in place to replace vacationing drivers, wouldn't there be an empty seat in a package car somewhere for them to fill?
The truth is they are not Summer replacements but are being used to augment the delivery ranks because of the Peak volume we have been experiencing this year. Past practice in my building has been for FT and PT air drivers deliver excess volume that can not be delivered by regular drivers. Before sups would have to deliver the packages.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The truth is they are not Summer replacements but are being used to augment the delivery ranks because of the Peak volume we have been experiencing this year. Past practice in my building has been for FT and PT air drivers deliver excess volume that can not be delivered by regular drivers. Before sups would have to deliver the packages.
I got paid more than $20,000 in grievance settlements in 2019 when they did that in my building.

Did you consider signing up to be a vacation replacement driver by any chance?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I agree with your and @Bubblehead's sentiments of what should be. But in reality, pvd's are just a variation of seasonal drivers that drive their own cars. That's it. If we are in a time period under which seasonal drivers are allowed in your supplement, then the company has every right to use pvd's and have them deliver ground before air drivers.

Our supplement doesn't allow for seasonal workers outside of peak season. The company had to go to our regional negotiators to get the letter of understanding to allow for pvd's during the pandemic. They left it up to each local to sign on. Our's did not. We have several new drivers in our center as a result.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I got paid more than $20,000 in grievance settlements in 2019 when they did that in my building.

Did you consider signing up to be a vacation replacement driver by any chance?

Shoot, guess I should have read closer before posting. I still think my interpretation of the seasonal language is correct for peak, but clearly you have a better grasp on the summer coverage language.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Shoot, guess I should have read closer before posting. I still think my interpretation of the seasonal language is correct for peak, but clearly you have a better grasp on the summer coverage language.
Seasonal employees are covered under Art 1 of the Central Region Supplement, while Vacation Replacements are covered in Article 16.

Apples and oranges in my opinion....while neither supercede Article 40 of the National Master that reads:

Section 1—Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers. Such work may include:
(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver within guaranteed time commitments.
(2) Delivery of air packages arriving at the facility after regular drivers have been dispatched.
(3) Delivery and pick up of air packages on weekends and holidays.
(4) On Call Air pickups.
(5) Pick up at air counters and drop boxes.
The Company shall not expand the utilization of part-time employees to pick up drop boxes, including those containing ground packages. The Company shall provide the International Teamsters
Union with a report no later than March 1, 2013 and, thereafter, an annual report by August 15th of each year for the prior contract year identifying for each Local Union the total number of drop boxes being picked up by regular full-time package drivers, full-time air/combo drivers, and part-time air drivers. The ratio of drop boxes
picked up by regular full-time package drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers shall be maintained (within two (2) percentage points) during the term of this Agreement. Additional
drop boxes will be picked up by the same ratio of regular full-time drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers as established by the March 1, 2013 report. The size and dimensions of
drop boxes existing on February 1, 2013, and those added thereafter, shall not be increased, without the consent of the Union.
(6) Additional late air pickups.

Nowhere does it say air drivers are a "Plan B" for left over ground packages (except at late pickups and drop boxes, where the regular driver has already left), and to ever acknowledge that it is,....would be Pandora's Box and needs to stay closed, in my opinion.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Seasonal employees are covered under Art 1 of the Central Region Supplement, while Vacation Replacements are covered in Article 16.

Apples and oranges in my opinion....while neither supercede Article 40 of the National Master that reads:

Section 1—Air Drivers
(a) Air driver work shall consist of delivery and pickup of air packages which, because of time and customer commitments, cannot be reasonably performed by regular package drivers. Such work may include:
(1) Delivery of air packages which the regular delivery drivers cannot deliver within guaranteed time commitments.
(2) Delivery of air packages arriving at the facility after regular drivers have been dispatched.
(4) On Call Air pickups.
The Company shall not expand the utilization of part-time employees to pick up drop boxes, including those containing ground packages. The Company shall provide the International Teamsters
Union with a report no later than March 1, 2013 and, thereafter, an annual report by August 15th of each year for the prior contract year identifying for each Local Union the total number of drop boxes being picked up by regular full-time package drivers, full-time air/combo drivers, and part-time air drivers. The ratio of drop boxes
picked up by regular full-time package drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers shall be maintained (within two (2) percentage points) during the term of this Agreement. Additional
drop boxes will be picked up by the same ratio of regular full-time drivers, full-time air/combo drivers and part-time air drivers as established by the March 1, 2013 report. The size and dimensions of
drop boxes existing on February 1, 2013, and those added thereafter, shall not be increased, without the consent of the Union.

Nowhere does it say air drivers are a "Plan B" for left over ground packages, and to ever acknowledge that it is, would be Pandora's Box and needs to stay closed, in my opinion.

Except that it allows for the use of air drivers to deliver ground, in that it defines what ground packages air drivers can move and not be paid a higher rate, and that anything outside of that narrowly defined scope will be paid at the top ground rate. I agree that air drivers are not intended to pick up the slack for the company not hiring enough ground drivers, but they certainly can use them.

"(7) Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.
An exception package is intended to be when an Air Driver is mak- ing a pick up, as outlined above, after the regular driver has been at the customer’s premises, and the customer has an exception ground package(s) for shipment, the air driver may make service on this package(s). Air drivers may continue to pick up Automatic Return Service packages but the features of this service will not be expand- ed.
Any violation of Section 1(a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his/her rate of pay and the top regular package car driver wage rate existing at that building. Grievances concerning violation or abuse of this shall be referred directly to the National Air Committee."

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Except that it allows for the use of air drivers to deliver ground, in that it defines what ground packages air drivers can move and not be paid a higher rate, and that anything outside of that narrowly defined scope will be paid at the top ground rate. I agree that air drivers are not intended to pick up the slack for the company not hiring enough ground drivers, but they certainly can use them.

"(7) Air drivers may, on an exception basis, be used to make service on packages which are not air packages.
An exception package is intended to be when an Air Driver is mak- ing a pick up, as outlined above, after the regular driver has been at the customer’s premises, and the customer has an exception ground package(s) for shipment, the air driver may make service on this package(s). Air drivers may continue to pick up Automatic Return Service packages but the features of this service will not be expand- ed.
Any violation of Section 1(a) (7), shall obligate the Employer to pay the Air Driver involved the difference between his/her rate of pay and the top regular package car driver wage rate existing at that building. Grievances concerning violation or abuse of this shall be referred directly to the National Air Committee."
....and those extenuating circumstance excuses evaporate when it is a daily occurrence.

Those were the scenarios I targeted, not indidual anomalies.

Section 1—Air Drivers
(4) On Call Air pickups.

Nowhere does it say air drivers are a "Plan B" for left over ground packages (except at late pickups and drop boxes, where the regular driver has already left), and to ever acknowledge that it is,....would be Pandora's Box and needs to stay closed, in my opinion.
Who would you rather see delivering the volume? Dues paying Union members or contracted out to non union workers?

....and those extenuating circumstance excuses evaporate when it is a daily occurrence.

Those were the scenarios I targeted, not indidual anomalies.
My building has been on a non stop hiring frenzy for a couple years now and some days we are still short delivery drivers. Second question is who has preference for extra work, air exception drivers or PT air drivers?