Question about 8 hour request

Cincypackagehandler

would be more concerned about getting your 8 at this point.

I started driving April 19th, and I've worked every single day that I've been scheduled since then. That said, I've worked 12.5 every single Saturday and I'd like to have at least one Saturday a month where I can do something in the evening. Nothing more and nothing less.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I started driving April 19th, and I've worked every single day that I've been scheduled since then. That said, I've worked 12.5 every single Saturday and I'd like to have at least one Saturday a month where I can do something in the evening. Nothing more and nothing less.
I can only offer one suggestion- purchase a dairy farm. You'll have a bunch of free time and money. I hope this us helpful.

Cincypackagehandler

That was my first thought.

I would think that putting in multiple 8 hour requests this early sends the wrong message.

What wrong message is it sending. We have a contract. No matter if you've been here 30 days or 30 years the rules in that contract are what they are. I'm qualified, I'm officially in the union and if I'm entitled to a couple 8 hour days a month I'm going to ask for them.

What'dyabringmetoday???

What wrong message is it sending. We have a contract. No matter if you've been here 30 days or 30 years the rules in that contract are what they are. I'm qualified, I'm officially in the union and if I'm entitled to a couple 8 hour days a month I'm going to ask for them.
Dave thinks of only one person. Pay no attention to him. That is all he seeks.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Only one driver per loop. So a senior driver could bump you out. At least in my local.
I'm don't have a bid route, and the contract doesn't state anything about loops to my knowledge.

If your center has Saturday Ground, don't expect an 8 hour on a Friday for the next 10 years. If you don't have Sat. ground, don't expect an 8 hour on Friday for the next 15 years.

2 weeks in and your already willing to file a grievance. Your career will go smoothly.
We do not have Saturday ground and that is irrelevant since the contract was implemented before Saturday ground was a thing.

I am a 7+ year employee, FT driver for over 3 years now...Not sure what the hell you're talking about?

35years

Gravy route
To answer your question...
Yes, you have the right to request two (in some locals 3) eight hour days per month. They have to allow 10% of the drivers relief from overtime.

If you are denied, check to see if 10% have an 8 hour day. Remember several may be given the day off to avoid management having to honor their 8 hour request. Those who take the day off should not be included in calculating the 10%. Demand your 8 hour day if 10% of the center did not get an 8. If denied wrongly file for 2 hours of penalty pay. And if your 8 hour request is not honored it does not count as one of the 2 (or 3) so ask for another.

If you stick to your guns they will be less likely to deny you in the future.

Or do like some wimps on this board and try to "fly under the radar" by never sticking up for yourself, living your life in fear and cowardice. You life, your choice.

Last edited: