Question about 8 hour request

Cincypackagehandler

I just qualified about two weeks ago. I know I can't take vacation my first year but am I entitled to my two eight hour request days per month being a brand new driver? I wasn't sure if there was a waiting period for that.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Got a message today saying my request for an 8 hour day next Friday was denied because someone else requested an 8 hour day that day even though the contract states 10% of drivers can use 8 hour requests on any day. Can't wait to get that penalty pay!

GameCockFan

Got a message today saying my request for an 8 hour day next Friday was denied because someone else requested an 8 hour day that day even though the contract states 10% of drivers can use 8 hour requests on any day. Can't wait to get that penalty pay!

Only one driver per loop. So a senior driver could bump you out. At least in my local.

bumped

If your center has Saturday Ground, don't expect an 8 hour on a Friday for the next 10 years. If you don't have Sat. ground, don't expect an 8 hour on Friday for the next 15 years.

2 weeks in and your already willing to file a grievance. Your career will go smoothly.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
If your center has Saturday Ground, don't expect an 8 hour on a Friday for the next 10 years. If you don't have Sat. ground, don't expect an 8 hour on Friday for the next 15 years.

2 weeks in and your already willing to file a grievance. Your career will go smoothly.

Wrong person, ding-a-ling

Ghost in the Darkness

Only one driver per loop. So a senior driver could bump you out. At least in my local.

It used to be loop, then 10%, now we are back to loop again. Its bs since I get work off people outside my loop on a daily basis. They are telling me they can't move work around outside of loop. Whatever they feel like that specific day to try to deny. Then factor in a dbag steward who will block you from getting it by filing his own 8hr request after seeing that you did. I rarely ask for an 8hr day. That same steward works for free every day too.

It used to be loop, then 10%, now we are back to loop again. Its bs since I get work off people outside my loop on a daily basis. They are telling me they can't move work around outside of loop. Whatever they feel like that specific day to try to deny. Then factor in a dbag steward who will block you from getting it by filing his own 8hr request after seeing that you did. I rarely ask for an 8hr day. That same steward works for free every day too.
I take my two a month friend* it!

All Fridays!!!

Ghost in the Darkness

I have no problem with 8hr requests and people doing their 2 a month. I'm just ranting about a steward who uses his position to be a dbag... conflict of interest and a hypocrite.

35years

Gravy route

Check your region/local language.

Management tells the new guys here only one driver per loop can have an 8.
Liars.
Our language states they don't have to let every driver in the loop off in 8.

35years

Gravy route
Are you in the Central?
In the Central you can bring the stops back to the bldg as missed without penalty if you will be over 8.
Now, you need to inform them ahead of time that you wont get them done, but if they don't send anyone to take them, I bring them back missed.

How it works here...
!0% of the Center gets an 8.
They can also deny one driver per loop.
It is not either/or but both... center and loop seniority that can affect your request. The excuse that they can't move work outside the loop is complete nonsense.

If the stew wont process your grievance contact your BA.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
10% here, even though almost everyone uses it as a day off plot instead of it's intended use. I haven't done an 8 hr in quite awhile, although I was using it on Monday's to force the addition of another route. Since Saturday ground has come, Monday's are nice, Saturdays are the suck.

35years

Gravy route
Remember, if they don't honor your request it does not count as a request.

Say they dispatch you with about a 8.5.
If you don't need to be done in exactly 8, ask them in the morning "Do you want to cut out those extra stops or not count this as an 8 hr request?"

Guess what, they will usually not want to cut out stops and will just not count it as an 8.
One extra short day each time it happens.

Richard Cranium

I just qualified about two weeks ago. I know I can't take vacation my first year but am I entitled to my two eight hour request days per month being a brand new driver? I wasn't sure if there was a waiting period for that.
would be more concerned about getting your 8 at this point.