Question about bad PAL labels ???

S

serenity now

the wave of the future should be getting the right box on the right truck, and then let me do my job

S

serenity now

I just wish they would stop putting the damn PAL labels on top of the barcode and/or my service cross from the day before.

had a box recently that was big enough to ship a feeder driver and even with all that cardboard, right on top of the barcode

curiousbrain

the wave of the future should be getting the right box on the right truck, and then let me do my job

Truthfully, if I was UPS, the wave of the future would be to embed short-range RFID chips into the boxes, and then put receivers in the trucks; then, use the dispatch plan to synchronize a specific box to a specific trucks signature - applied en masse, the moment you walked in a truck with the wrong box it would sound an alarm. No scanning required.

From there, you could do your job.

It's fun to dream.

S

serenity now

Truthfully, if I was UPS, the wave of the future would be to embed short-range RFID chips into the boxes, and then put receivers in the trucks; then, use the dispatch plan to synchronize a specific box to a specific trucks signature - applied en masse, the moment you walked in a truck with the wrong box it would sound an alarm. No scanning required.

From there, you could do your job.

It's fun to dream.

sounds great, but let's kick it up a notch * instead of an alarm (which can be ignored), i'm thinking about a knee buckling buzz from a shock collar

curiousbrain

BB, there was talk of imbedding RFID chips in the shipping label, which would allow real-time tracking of packages.

There's a lot of advantages to it; as always, there's a lot of disadvantages too ... maybe your not sheeting packages while moving, but now you can't set them up on the dash, either.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Sounds crazy, but the reason why you can't alias outside a specific zip code anymore is because IE got wind that every PDS and his mom was using AMS to "quick fix" problems instead of going back and editing a hundred dispatch plans - which is pretty time consuming. So, the feature was removed and now you get more NIS's and blanks than ever before.

Soin other words, rather than sanction and stop the bad behavior, I.E. took "the quick fix" and messed up what could have been useful and made it far worse?

curiousbrain

Soin other words, rather than sanction and stop the bad behavior, I.E. took "the quick fix" and messed up what could have been useful and made it far worse?

My impression is that it was the other way around - AMS had an alias feature that would allow a user to forward a specific address/consignee to another zip code; this feature was abused by PDS' who didn't want to edit dozens of dispatch plans to reflect the correct address.

A couple of notes here:

1) You cannot, as far as I know, edit multiple plans at once; so, if one address is changed, you have to edit every plan you have - that could take hours upon hours.

2) It's not so cut and dry as it may seem; in IE's defense, the web you can weave in a dense urban area when it comes to address ranges and consignees in AMS is simply mind boggling. Throw in PO boxes, municipal authorities renaming streets, adding streets, duplicate street names, so on and so forth, and there is a real valid argument as to why you shouldn't be able to alias across zip codes. By not allowing it, you are kind of forcing Ops to deal with the problem. Unfortunately, Ops has a huge rug to sweep things under.

3) Consignee's are almost never the same, and AMS doesn't really support "fuzzy matching"; so, let's say a business called "The Hour Glass" is a regular customer. Then, one week, the guy ordering is lazy or just not thinking, and types in "The Hourglass"; that will not match in AMS unless a specific record has been created for each possible entry: The Hour Glass, The Hourglass, etc. So, it's a little complicated to say the least.

menotyou

bella amicizia
BB is right. It's a PITA to fix that and the managers of the sups don't give them the time required to do the job correctly. I mean, think about it. Do they give anybody the time needed to do the job correctly????

Maddie1

Raye
It's DMS. It's links to the Post Office. The Post Office provides the addresses not 911. 911 is for locating an emergency. I know in our center the Post Office is constantly changing the zip codes and customers are not made aware of it. Also the person who is in charge of scrubbing the pals prior to the preload is not doing an efficient job if there are several errors with the pals. The only real person who will know the address is the driver on area for they are out there daily and are able to visually see the changes in the number sequence. Thank goodness for them.

barnyard

KTM rider
This is one of my biggest beefs with PAL/PAS. UPS told investors that much of what is complained about in this thread would be corrected with PAL/PAS.

Rather than allow the system to guess, I would rather see the system send questionable packages to the clerk. A bad PAL guess cost me a late NDA this morning.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Rather than allow the system to guess, I would rather see the system send questionable packages to the clerk. A bad PAL guess cost me a late NDA this morning.

If it didn't guess the preload would never get down on time. I think it guesses correctly on most, but it's hard to tell since the good ones don't get called in to the center.

barnyard

KTM rider
If it didn't guess the preload would never get down on time. I think it guesses correctly on most, but it's hard to tell since the good ones don't get called in to the center.

If a person is verifying addresses, it is not that difficult to see that it is not guessing correctly most of the time.