Question for Southern Region.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
TCD's are put on road based on area knowledge, not seniority.

43DECDBD-84C7-4FF4-874C-A1BDDF34EB93.jpeg

Are you really this ignorant

dogs.bite.me

I have a question for my Southern Region brothers and sisters. We recently had language added to our rider in the Southwest pertaining to cover driver reports.
View attachment 296049

I know that the southern region has something similar in their supp.
View attachment 296050

My question is what type of success if any you have had with this language? If none what were the reasons? Does anyone know any TCDs that have filed a grievance for this?

I ask this because soon all our cover drivers will be filing a grievance with this language. I know the company will fight it tooth and nail and I'm curious how other locals have fared.

Thanks for any help.

we have had jobs added because of this language.

just recognize that just because a TCD gets those punches doesn’t mean that job is his. we still follow seniority.

there was some confusion about that here, with some guys thinking that since they were the one with the 156 reports, that the job belonged to them.

usually we didn’t have to file either, just asked them to give us the driver punch count for said employees and there was a bid sheet pulled out and the process for promotion starts.

We usually only had 1 a year tho, not a lot at one time like you are saying.

Jdubjr

we have had jobs added because of this language.

just recognize that just because a TCD gets those punches doesn’t mean that job is his. we still follow seniority.

there was some confusion about that here, with some guys thinking that since they were the one with the 156 reports, that the job belonged to them.

usually we didn’t have to file either, just asked them to give us the driver punch count for said employees and there was a bid sheet pulled out and the process for promotion starts.

We usually only had 1 a year tho, not a lot at one time like you are saying.
This is exactly how I became a full-time driver. A cover driver had over 156 reports. I didn’t have to file a grievance just had steward take the issue up with management. My seniority was backdated months to when the 156th report took place.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have a question for my Southern Region brothers and sisters. We recently had language added to our rider in the Southwest pertaining to cover driver reports.
View attachment 296049

I know that the southern region has something similar in their supp.
View attachment 296050

My question is what type of success if any you have had with this language? If none what were the reasons? Does anyone know any TCDs that have filed a grievance for this?

I ask this because soon all our cover drivers will be filing a grievance with this language. I know the company will fight it tooth and nail and I'm curious how other locals have fared.

Thanks for any help.

When I covered we had our top TCD file on this thinking he would get the job. Another PT employee with more seniority signed it and got the bid. He was a real jerk so we were all happy about it even though we didn't move up a spot on the TCD list.

tramtwo

Our Center has had several full-time positions created over the last couple of years... the grievance has to be written. These grievances are usually written by the tcd's because once they hit 156 they get paid out at the cover driver 8 hour rate for vacations and holidays the following calendar year.... incentive.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
This is exactly how I became a full-time driver. A cover driver had over 156 reports. I didn’t have to file a grievance just had steward take the issue up with management. My seniority was backdated months to when the 156th report took place.
IE keeps up with it here. They won't announce the 156th report, but it is documented. Highest seniority part timer can fill the spot. No arguing over it. No way to hide it or deny it. Kinda strange its one of the few things they don't fight lately. Although they do announce it like they do it out of the goodness of their own heart. Riiiiiiight. Like they have a heart.

542thruNthru

The issue is. We're looking at around 40 cover drivers with 156 reports. I just don't see the company going for that without a big fight.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The issue is. We're looking at around 40 cover drivers with 156 reports. I just don't see the company going for that without a big fight.
Wow.

The company should be happy they got away with that for as long as they did.

If you've got that many working that much then you should have had those positions all along.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Our center seems to do that. We have fulltime drivers that have only been with ups for like 2 years because we have used so many cover drivers. We had in my center around 12 cover drivers 6 of them are now fulltime within the last 6months or so.