Question for Southern Region.

542thruNthru

The union will either cut a deal (you’ll get a small fraction of the jobs deserved) or nothing will be done at all.

We'll see. It's definitely something I'll be keeping a eye on.

I will say one thing though. They only won the local elections last year by 46 votes. I don't think it will be good for them if they allow FT jobs to slip away.

Overpaid Union Thug

We'll see. It's definitely something I'll be keeping a eye on.

I will say one thing though. They only won the local elections last year by 46 votes. I don't think it will be good for them if they allow FT jobs to slip away.
I’m slowly but surely losing faith in our building’s representation and the local as well. Hopefully yours is better.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The issue is. We're looking at around 40 cover drivers with 156 reports. I just don't see the company going for that without a big fight.

I'm sure the new magic number they use for 22.4 drivers will come in to play somehow. What number did your building establish as the baseline before hiring 22.4 drivers and how far is that from current staffing levels?

charm299

I have a question for my Southern Region brothers and sisters. We recently had language added to our rider in the Southwest pertaining to cover driver reports.
View attachment 296049

I know that the southern region has something similar in their supp.
View attachment 296050

My question is what type of success if any you have had with this language? If none what were the reasons? Does anyone know any TCDs that have filed a grievance for this?

I ask this because soon all our cover drivers will be filing a grievance with this language. I know the company will fight it tooth and nail and I'm curious how other locals have fared.

Thanks for any help.
It was forced at our center this year. Nine new fulltimers

542thruNthru

I'm sure the new magic number they use for 22.4 drivers will come in to play somehow. What number did your building establish as the baseline before hiring 22.4 drivers and how far is that from current staffing levels?

Honestly this I don't know. My steward might.

Jdubjr

The issue is. We're looking at around 40 cover drivers with 156 reports. I just don't see the company going for that without a big fight.
Yeah but at the same time they are preventing 40 full -time positions. Have to try because 40 families quality of living are at stake. There is compromise room too because all 40 may not want to go full-time. They might go for it because it will satisfy many full time positions that must be createdd‍♂️

542thruNthru

Yeah but at the same time they are preventing 40 full -time positions. Have to try because 40 families quality of living are at stake. There is compromise room too because all 40 may not want to go full-time. They might go for it because it will satisfy many full time positions that must be createdd‍♂️

All 40 cover drivers want to go full time. They are already working fulltime they just are not getting the same pay.

Jdubjr

All 40 cover drivers want to go full time. They are already working fulltime they just are not getting the same pay.
This is the reason I went full time. I was working everyday anyway, so it was a no brainer. The company definitely was taking advantage of cover drivers by not opening full time positions. By it getting added to the supplement this late, the envelope has to be pushed. This is the time of year the company and union is trying to test the contract to see what can be “gotten away with”. Really your center is lucky to be in this scenario. I say that because the flava of the month has been doing away with cover drivers. It was was more cost effective to hire inside and off the street to prevent red-circling of cover drivers. The union was allowing this practice because the goal was creating more full time jobs.

542thruNthru

This is the reason I went full time. I was working everyday anyway, so it was a no brainer. The company definitely was taking advantage of cover drivers by not opening full time positions. By it getting added to the supplement this late, the envelope has to be pushed. This is the time of year the company and union is trying to test the contract to see what can be “gotten away with”. Really your center is lucky to be in this scenario. I say that because the flava of the month has been doing away with cover drivers. It was was more cost effective to hire inside and off the street to prevent red-circling of cover drivers. The union was allowing this practice because the goal was creating more full time jobs.

You must not be in the west like me.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It was was more cost effective to hire inside and off the street to prevent red-circling of cover drivers.

If the cover drivers had more seniority than the inside people they would have won the bids... I don't understand how this is under the companies control. Outside hiring I do understand.

Jdubjr

If the cover drivers had more seniority than the inside people they would have won the bids... I don't understand how this is under the companies control. Outside hiring I do understand.
See..basically a cover worked inside(preload or reload). If you were needed on road that particular day, you didn’t work your classification. You cover drive. So after the last cover drivers went full time, they did away with cover drivers. The bid sheet didn’t go up again for years. Only hired off the street for $18.75 or pt to full time(article49.2 I think). Pt to full time only paid $ 18.75 also. Cover drivers made 32 per hour and you get red circled when you go full time until you make top rate. By eliminating cover drivers, the company could pay a bargaining unit $18.75 who been with the company for years off the street rate because progression as a cover driver wasn’t made 1st. The company was so abusive that they would bring cover drivers from other jurisdictions to prevent part timers from becoming bid- cover drivers. When they still needed more routes, they would send part time preloaded or reloaders our with 30-60 ground stops without any schooling just to prevent having cover drivers. It makes sense. They can lay off a rcpd when work doesn’t exist. Sure they can bump two pt ers. But who will do that. Plus if you do, there is a time limit then you will make pt er pay for that classification. If you think about it, the lower senior drivers are the new cover drivers if they aren’t guaranteed 8 hrs five days a week. Now it’s if work exist.

Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
See..basically a cover worked inside(preload or reload). If you were needed on road that particular day, you didn’t work your classification. You cover drive. So after the last cover drivers went full time, they did away with cover drivers. The bid sheet didn’t go up again for years. Only hired off the street for $18.75 or pt to full time(article49.2 I think). Pt to full time only paid $ 18.75 also. Cover drivers made 32 per hour and you get red circled when you go full time until you make top rate. By eliminating cover drivers, the company could pay a bargaining unit $18.75 who been with the company for years off the street rate because progression as a cover driver wasn’t made 1st. The company was so abusive that they would bring cover drivers from other jurisdictions to prevent part timers from becoming bid- cover drivers. When they still needed more routes, they would send part time preloaded or reloaders our with 30-60 ground stops without any schooling just to prevent having cover drivers. It makes sense. They can lay off a rcpd when work doesn’t exist. Sure they can bump two pt ers. But who will do that. Plus if you do, there is a time limit then you will make pt er pay for that classification. If you think about it, the lower senior drivers are the new cover drivers if they aren’t guaranteed 8 hrs five days a week. Now it’s if work exist.

Your local might be worse than mine!