Question on Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA)

bdk

I started at UPS in April of 08 under old contract and went into my 4 year wage progression. In August of 08 we started the new contract which says in Article 22 Section 5 "All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year." Which as I see it effectively ended my wage progression. However I did not receive the COLA, management says I'm still in progression, steward has been working on the issue.

Does anyone have some insight on this issue?

bdk

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
My personal interpretation is: you are still in progression,and will receive the COLA on or about your seniority date of April 2012. I will ask around to see if it was grieved here.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
My personal interpretation is: you are still in progression,and will receive the COLA on or about your seniority date of April 2012. I will ask around to see if it was grieved here.

That is the way I understand it as well. Anyone still in progression will receive the COLA as soon as they reach top scale. That should be on your seniority date.

JonFrum

I started at UPS in April of 08 under old contract and went into my 4 year wage progression. In August of 08 we started the new contract which says in Article 22 Section 5 "All part-time employees who have attained seniority as of August 1, 2008 will receive the following general wage increases for each contract year." Which as I see it effectively ended my wage progression. However I did not receive the COLA, management says I'm still in progression, steward has been working on the issue.

Does anyone have some insight on this issue?

bdk
Technically, you were hired under the New Contract. The Old Contract evaporated over seven months prematurely and was replaced by the New Contract on the Date of Ratification, December 19, 2007. A date which will live in infamy.
- - -
The Part-time Progression is a five year ordeal, not four.
- - -
The COLA isn't paid until you complete your Progression.

ARTICLE 33. COST-OF-LIVING (COLA)
"All seniority employees who have completed their appropriate wage progression schedule shall be covered by the provisions of a cost-of-living allowance, as set forth in this Agreement.
Employees who have not completed their appropriate wage progression on the effective date of a COLA increase, shall receive the adjustment on a prospective basis on the date they complete their wage progression schedules."
- - -
This language says you were paid under the old progression from April 2008 thru July 31, 2008, and under the new progression August 1, 2008 and thereafter.

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5.Wages
(a) Part time Employees
"Part-time employees still in progression on August 1, 2008 shall receive the above contractual increases and will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance with the wage schedules in Article 22, Section 5 (b) below. Between the date of ratification and August 1, 2008 part-time employees will continue to be paid in accordance with the progression contained in the prior Agreement. The progression set forth in (b) below shall be applied effective August 1, 2008."
- - -
Thus, you are under the new progression, even though you probably get paid more than the stated rates because you are also eligible for the split raises.

Our negotiators work very hard to make things this messed up.