Quitting and being rehired elsewhere- how’s it work?

I’m a package handler in NJ… going on my fourth year with the company. Like a lot of people I’m wanting to leave this state and move somewhere cheaper but I want to work for ups elsewhere. Is it possible to quit and be rehired? I know that to transfer pretty much the only way to do it is for educational purposes. If anyone has any experience with this I’d appreciate it

I’m a package handler in NJ… going on my fourth year with the company. Like a lot of people I’m wanting to leave this state and move somewhere cheaper but I want to work for ups elsewhere. Is it possible to quit and be rehired? I know that to transfer pretty much the only way to do it is for educational purposes. If anyone has any experience with this I’d appreciate it
You're part time, register for a semester of classes wherever you want to go, take an educational transfer.

boxerdan

You're part time, register for a semester of classes wherever you want to go, take an educational transfer.
apply for a degree program (whether you intend to finish it or not) and have UPS pay for it. You'll be out some fees and what not, but retain your vacation and pay rate.

trickpony1

The OP may want to call the Local Union Hall that covers the UPS building he wants to transfer to and ask the BA questions.

Just a thought.......

PT Crazy

Geez, make sure you don't have to start over on the pension . Usually need 5 years in. Or you will have to start from scratch. Just saying. Some people have regretted losing the 4 years.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Your friend*cked! bye bye 4 years of seniority. BYE BYE EVER BEING A RPCD 😂
✊🧔

Just remember if you don't have at least five years with the company your pension is not vested and you will lose everything you worked for.

Plus you will start out at a lower pay scale and you will have no vacation or sick/option days .

No medical coverage for 9 months
And you will have to pay union initiation fee again.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Just remember if you don't have at least five years with the company your pension is not vested and you will lose everything you worked for.

Plus you will start out at a lower pay scale and you will have no vacation or sick/option days .

No medical coverage for 9 months
And you will have to pay union initiation fee again.
You don't have to pay initiation again if you get a withdrawal card

ManInBrown

I wonder if there are any kiss :censored2: out there, that finagled their way into a transfer and kept their seniority. Not western region because I know you can go to a lot of different places when you work out there. But like the 177 where I am you basically can’t go anywhere except in the local which is really nowhere.

ManInBrown

Imagine living in Alabama. UPS driver richest guy in the state. Where I am my pay gets me a cardboard box in a mediocre alley. Middle of the road crime area.