Raises coming October 1st

Oldfart

View attachment 156058
Here is the chart for my station. If people that are topped out get 3% that will put them at $30.78. If I move from say step 3 to step 4 I will be at $21.82. Only getting.28 vents closer to the new top after people already topped out get 3%.

Step 10 is still step 10 no matter what 10 makes. You work your way up to 9 and go to step 10 even if 10 keeps getting raises. Them getting raises does not keep anyone from topping out.

vantexan

Was there anything ever said about new charts being put out every year? That there would be COLA's applied? Surprised they're giving topped out couriers 3%. So how does that work? Is step 10 adjusted 3% every year? Or does it remain the same and once topped out do you get 3% annually from there on out? I'm thinking the latter otherwise someone starting today would eventually see a huge raise from step 9 to 10.

If they intend to have everyone go through the step process then get an annual 3% once they top out, subject to market conditions, that seems pretty reasonable. Someone starting at 23 is topped out by 32 and seeing annual adjustments that keep him ahead of inflation. That's fair. Express can be difficult and tiring, but it isn't UPS. And it's been greatly streamlined from what we used to do. So if the lowest payscale tops out over $26hr with annual 3% raises afterwards that's much, much, much better than before. The biggest concern is will FedEx stick with it?

Maui

View attachment 156058
Here is the chart for my station. If people that are topped out get 3% that will put them at $30.78. If I move from say step 3 to step 4 I will be at $21.82. Only getting.28 vents closer to the new top after people already topped out get 3%.

You just move to each successive step. The could mean a really big raise from 9 to 10, or something more modest. It depends on the time frame, company performance and the overall economy among other things.

Maui

Was there anything ever said about new charts being put out every year? That there would be COLA's applied? Surprised they're giving topped out couriers 3%. So how does that work? Is step 10 adjusted 3% every year? Or does it remain the same and once topped out do you get 3% annually from there on out? I'm thinking the latter otherwise someone starting today would eventually see a huge raise from step 9 to 10.

If they intend to have everyone go through the step process then get an annual 3% once they top out, subject to market conditions, that seems pretty reasonable. Someone starting at 23 is topped out by 32 and seeing annual adjustments that keep him ahead of inflation. That's fair. Express can be difficult and tiring, but it isn't UPS. And it's been greatly streamlined from what we used to do. So if the lowest payscale tops out over $26hr with annual 3% raises afterwards that's much, much, much better than before. The biggest concern is will FedEx stick with it?

I don't think so. I mean each step represents a decent raise. From a 10-15 year employee perspective it feels like you are still way behind because really you should have been topped out already instead of step 3 or 5. From FedEx's perspective they feel like 5%+ is very generous when average raises are about 3%. Base will be over $27/hr for couriers and over $29/hr for swings.

Eventually steps will need to move because starting pay will have to increase. That is not this year. Maybe next year. Maybe 2-3 more years. Many factors will go into that decision. The top goes up 3% this year. No one knows about subsequent years.

MAKAVELI

I don't think so. I mean each step represents a decent raise. From a 10-15 year employee perspective it feels like you are still way behind because really you should have been topped out already instead of step 3 or 5. From FedEx's perspective they feel like 5%+ is very generous when average raises are about 3%. Base will be over $27/hr for couriers and over $29/hr for swings.

Eventually steps will need to move because starting pay will have to increase. That is not this year. Maybe next year. Maybe 2-3 more years. Many factors will go into that decision. The top goes up 3% this year. No one knows about subsequent years.
If they aren't bumping the steps why are they waiting to release the step chart?

Maui

If they aren't bumping the steps why are they waiting to release the step chart?

I don't know. The new chart is expected to be posted October 1st, which is the day the raises go into effect. I'm a cynic most of the time, but this doesn't seem nefarious to me. I know that HR/compensation in any company works a ton to make sure the raises are done and insuring everyone is paid correctly.

Preventable

Our SM said the steps are going up 3% if I am not mistaken. For me moving to the next step in combination with that step going up 3% would result in a roughly 8.2% raise. But yeah I'm not ready to take that to the bank just yet.

MAKAVELI

I don't know. The new chart is expected to be posted October 1st, which is the day the raises go into effect. I'm a cynic most of the time, but this doesn't seem nefarious to me. I know that HR/compensation in any company works a ton to make sure the raises are done and insuring everyone is paid correctly.
It may or may not be nefarious. We really won't know until they release the new chart.

MAKAVELI

But that's the question. Why would they need to put out a new chart? Your raise is going from step to step.
Which when combined with the late notice leads me to the side of nefarious. I mean they could decide to cut the steps back if they wanted.

vantexan

Which when combined with the late notice leads me to the side of nefarious. I mean they could decide to cut the steps back if they wanted.
Or it could just be the chart they put out last year IS the current chart. I still don't understand why after all those years of 2% raises for midrange employees why some here think they'll give you a decent raise annually PLUS a cost of living increase? If it's their plan to have you up to the top step in 9 years then give you 3% annually thereafter that's infinitely better than what they were doing.

Preventable

They would need a new chart if they were only raising step 10. To be honest I was 100% expecting to just go to the next step which would be a 5.1% raise. If they do really saise the steps that is just gravy. I don't see why my senior would tell us the steps are going up if they aren't since in 2 weeks we will know for sure. Not much to gain from stringing us along for 2 weeks. Unless he is clueless.

MAKAVELI

Or it could just be the chart they put out last year IS the current chart. I still don't understand why after all those years of 2% raises for midrange employees why some here think they'll give you a decent raise annually PLUS a cost of living increase? If it's their plan to have you up to the top step in 9 years then give you 3% annually thereafter that's infinitely better than what they were doing.
Because attracting and retaining good new hires is still a problem.

vantexan

Because attracting and retaining good new hires is still a problem.
If FedEx can't retain decent people with this plan then the company is no longer viable. Looking at what's available on Craigslist and Indeed there aren't many options for decent pay unless you drive a semi.

MAKAVELI

If FedEx can't retain decent people with this plan then the company is no longer viable. Looking at what's available on Craigslist and Indeed there aren't many options for decent pay unless you drive a semi.
What makes you think a ten step plan is so great? Most companies of FedEx's size have a wage progression time half of that.