Raises coming October 1st

btrlov

UPS can't even get enough people these days despite their higher pay. The guys I talk to say their loaders quit before they have been there long enough to drive a package car. No idea what their hub guys make but they don't want to tough it out for the the time required to eventually drive.

Hub guys are bottom of barrow. Most are part time and start at near minimal wage...then their pay jumps, not drastically,,,, but management still tries to lay them off before they make "book" union....they make new hires where stupid vest near peak and will lay off ALL of them with no mercy..... it also takes years and years to get a full time hub position(or u can "sneak in" a ft spot by double shifting) or u can jump to driver after a while or part time sup(entry level management)

whereas ups drivers are 99% full-time. Fedex starts drivers off at higher pay initially, but ups out paces them in progression after one year.
the same with building employees hub guys part time and full time are on two different pay-scales.... the full timer get their raises negotiated on the backs of the unborn but part time ups handlers eat the brunt of those give backs ....ups drivers have uniforms, dont load their own trucks...etc, a transparent pension, low deductible medical, harder to fire, harder to keep fired.. etc which is much different from express

even UPSs feeder dept is a highly coveted position vs how they treat cdl drivers in express. a feeder driver doesn't touch a box or a air can and most dont even go inside the hub at all. of course i know ups drivers drive cross country vs express just going to an airport and picking up "freight"

UPS has the parttime sup position, and higher volumes which directly competes with fedex non union advantage. for the most part there are no market levels in ups union workforce...good for the southern ups employees.....there are market levels of pay for ups management.... whereas ups is controlled by contracts... the pt sup position is often use to sure up operations, especially hub (preload,twi,night) and circumvent the union because there sheer amount of pt sups that are willing to do union work to make their numbers or get promoted etc.

fulltime management at ups is much more brutal than fedex, in terms of dedication,time, the brand, their bosses, fudging numbers, safety and amount of :censored2: that goes wrong

i would say that ups on-car sup makes more than a express operations "manager" and ups center manager makes more than a fedex senior manaer given the same performance levels and seniority with company

express ops mangers do make more than ups full time sups given same performance and seniority.. But profit sharing/stock options in ups is more generous

express employees dont care if management has to help to make service, even if they sent ppl home that day or make down time...ups employees would usually stop working or immediately grieve any management doing work that another teamster could have done

ups tuition reimbursement/ is much more generous and contracted and streamlined out of ups operations. However its capped......fedex has its ops manger approve its tuition help but doesnt appear to be a capped in the same manner,

express matches 401k, ups only matches for management

fedex has gft and ups has a much more complex involved form of out of court arbitration for union and a separate system for management/non union

for entry level partime compensation, and strictly part-time.. express is a batter choice in my opinion.... A partime driver in express will have more time off, better start rate, than a part time handler or a part time supervisor in ups

for entry level and progressing full time career..ups is better in my opinion.ups drivers are the cream of the crop.. an express manager would be creamed in ups in my opinion

SORRY FOR the long post just pov from someone that been on both sides

Last edited:

Oldfart

Hub guys are bottom of barrow. Most are part time and start at near minimal wage...then their pay jumps, not drastically,,,, but management still tries to lay them off before they make "book" union....they make new hires where stupid vest near peak and will lay off ALL of them with no mercy..... it also takes years and years to get a full time hub position(or u can "sneak in" a ft spot by double shifting) or u can jump to driver after a while or part time sup(entry level management)

whereas ups drivers are 99% full-time. Fedex starts drivers off at higher pay initially, but ups out paces them in progression after one year.
the same with building employees hub guys part time and full time are on two different pay-scales.... the full timer get their raises negotiated on the backs of the unborn but part time ups handlers eat the brunt of those give backs ....ups drivers have uniforms, dont load their own trucks...etc, a transparent pension, low deductible medical, harder to fire, harder to keep fired.. etc which is much different from express

even UPSs feeder dept is a highly coveted position vs how they treat cdl drivers in express. a feeder driver doesn't touch a box or a air can and most dont even go inside the hub at all. of course i know ups drivers drive cross country vs express just going to an airport and picking up "freight"

UPS has the parttime sup position, and higher volumes which directly competes with fedex non union advantage. for the most part there are no market levels in ups union workforce...good for the southern ups employees.....there are market levels of pay for ups management.... whereas ups is controlled by contracts... the pt sup position is often use to sure up operations, especially hub (preload,twi,night) and circumvent the union because there sheer amount of pt sups that are willing to do union work to make their numbers or get promoted etc.

fulltime management at ups is much more brutal than fedex, in terms of dedication,time, the brand, their bosses, fudging numbers, safety and amount of :censored2: that goes wrong

i would say that ups on-car sup makes more than a express operations "manager" and ups center manager makes more than a fedex senior manaer given the same performance levels and seniority with company

express ops mangers do make more than ups full time sups given same performance and seniority.. But profit sharing/stock options in ups is more generous

express employees dont care if management has to help to make service, even if they sent ppl home that day or make down time...ups employees would usually stop working or immediately grieve any management doing work that another teamster could have done

ups tuition reimbursement/ is much more generous and contracted and streamlined out of ups operations. However its capped......fedex has its ops manger approve its tuition help but doesnt appear to be a capped in the same manner,

express matches 401k, ups only matches for management

fedex has gft and ups has a much more complex involved form of out of court arbitration for union and a separate system for management/non union

for entry level partime compensation, and strictly part-time.. express is a batter choice in my opinion.... A partime driver in express will have more time off, better start rate, than a part time handler or a part time supervisor in ups

for entry level and progressing full time career..ups is better in my opinion.ups drivers are the cream of the crop.. an express manager would be creamed in ups in my opinion

SORRY FOR the long post just pov from someone that been on both sides
Very useful information for those of us that don't know what brown is like. I worked there many many years ago but I didn't like it and left and eventually made it to Express.