Random Drug Testing

MassWineGuy

Is it generally true that only DOT designated drivers are subject to random drug tests? Or can any driver get them? Just curious.

12yearsaslave

If you are referring to FedEx Ground drug testing, then as long as you are an active driver in their system, you can be drug tested. Also some contractors have their own drug testing policies.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is it generally true that only DOT designated drivers are subject to random drug tests? Or can any driver get them? Just curious.
I’m pretty sure it’s only DOT drivers. They’re still giving them though? I haven’t heard anyone talk about one in a long time. Not even cover drivers.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
If you are referring to FedEx Ground drug testing, then as long as you are an active driver in their system, you can be drug tested. Also some contractors have their own drug testing policies.
But in the case of Ground, isn’t it to ensure that their drivers are still using drugs? Wouldn’t want to chance any of them straightening out and suddenly realizing that schidt sandwich they’ve been being fed ain’t cutting it anymore.

chris45

In the 4 years I've been a swing at FedEx(at 2 stations) I've never been drug tested nor have heard of anybody else being tested. I'm not sure how it works or if they even randomly test people

DeliveryException

When I was a swing, several years ago, I was chosen to be randomly tested along with others around the same time. One guy was chosen twice in one month. Back then all swings had to have cdl/hazmat endorsement. I think only a couple in each workgroup still have it these days.

Haven't heard of any others tested since then. I guess it was "flavor of the month".

fedx

Extra Large Package
When I was a swing, several years ago, I was chosen to be randomly tested along with others around the same time. One guy was chosen twice in one month. Back then all swings had to have cdl/hazmat endorsement. I think only a couple in each workgroup still have it these days.

Haven't heard of any others tested since then. I guess it was "flavor of the month".
You're saying back then all courier swing drivers had Class A licenses to be able to drive semis? That seems like overkill.

vantexan

You're saying back then all courier swing drivers had Class A licenses to be able to drive semis? That seems like overkill.
There are CDL's that aren't Class A or B. And for awhile all courier's, at least in some states, had to have cdl's. The non-DOT status many couriers have today is the result of the company lobbying Congress.

Maui

Random testing happens only for drivers with CDL positions. A driver that is DOT/Non-DOT that holds a CDL, but does not have CDL in their job title is not subject to random testing per FedEx policy.

Any driver involved in a DOT serious accident (driver issued a citation and a vehicle is towed from the scene and/or medical attention beyond first aid is needed) require a drug screen and alcohol test post-accident.

Any employee can be tested if there is reasonable suspicion of alcohol/drug abuse.

Oldfart

At one time anyone driving a dual wheel vehicle or anything over 16k lbs rating was required to have a CDL. The rules have changed over time.
Swings at our station are still required to have an H endorsement CDL due to the number of hospital facilities getting Radioactives.