Ranking of best UPS jobs

DriverNerd

I agree that the easiest job for the money is Feeders, Shifters, and Porters. (Feeders 95% of the time...I wouldn't want to do it when there is an ice/snow storm).

With the obvious out of the way, the best job I have ever done at UPS is overgoods. Sitting in a chair at a computer, opening up random boxes and trying to figure out who they go to. Our overgoods is in a quiet climate controlled room. Headphones in don't have to be on loud, just prying through people's stuff. Loved that job. But it was part of an inside combo in our hub connected to Hazardous Responder (other part of combo being sort). If it was full time it was be amazing.

Overpaid Union Thug

Just for fun, as everyone's preferences are different. I know you can see how much each position makes in the contract, but that doesn't really factor in how many hours you get, how much bull:censored2: you have to put up with, etc. What do you guys think? I'm having a hard time figuring out where to put cover vs 22.4.

My rankings based on what I’ve actually done.

1) New Years Eve Air
2) Day after Thanksgiving (Air only)
3) Early Am/Air Exception.
4) Smalls
5) Preload-diverting packages to one of two slides after SPAed
6) Shifting on noonday
Did I miss the part where he decided to skip Peak to play Daddy?

I wouldn’t hesitate to miss part of, or all of peak to help care for my newborn child. Any father that would because of peak is not a man and likely a coward.

I’ve been known to skip peak for National Guard duty even though I can pick literally any other time of the year instead. I don’t care if it meets the approval of other drivers or UPS. Runners and gunners (usually the ones that really get upset) absorb the work anyway so I take comfort in that.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My rankings based on what I’ve actually done.

1) New Years Eve Air
2) Day after Thanksgiving (Air only)
3) Early Am/Air Exception.
4) Smalls
5) Preload-diverting packages to one of two slides after SPAed
6) Shifting on noonday

I wouldn’t hesitate to miss part of, or all of peak to help care for my newborn child. Any father that would because of peak is not a man and likely a coward.

1. NYE/BFE (air only)-----absolutely-----easiest money I ever made.

My reference to playing baby Daddy was to one of our members here who actually did this with his 11 month old "newborn".

Overpaid Union Thug

He was not needed at home. He was simply using the "bonding" excuse as a way to get out of Peak. In other words, he was being a pusillanimous.

He filed the appropriate paperwork and was at home with his child. Doesn’t matter if he was “needed” (according to your definition) or not. Even if he was only there with his child for a few additional hours per day that’s still more than he’d have gotten had he worked.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He filed the appropriate paperwork and was at home with his child. Doesn’t matter if he was “needed” (according to your definition) or not. Even if he was only there with his child for a few additional hours per day that’s still more than he’d have gotten had he worked.

Not the point. The "newborn" in question was 11 months old.

It's not as though he had been out of the country for all of that time. He was there for the pregnancy, birth and first 11 months. He took the time off simply to get out of Peak.

Overpaid Union Thug

Not the point. The "newborn" in question was 11 months old.

And that’s a problem because......?......?

It's not as though he had been out of the country for all of that time. He was there for the pregnancy, birth and first 11 months. He took the time off simply to get out of Peak.

Good for him! I’m sure at one point (probably many more than that) while he was tending to his 11 month old (that likely couldn't walk yet, feed itself, bathe itself, or change it’s own diaper) he thought to himself “Man, it sure is nice helping my wife out with the basic needs of my child instead of humping cardboard and putting up with a degenerate helper all day. This is a win/win!” And I can almost guarantee you that his wife thought something similar more than a few times as well.

The fact that it was during peak season was irrelevant in regards to legality and morally. The greed of UPS and jealousy of other drivers is equally irrelevant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This has nothing to do with greed or jealousy.

Perhaps this might fly in a larger center but when you work in a small facility which sends out 24-28 routes on a daily basis and bumps that up to 40-50 during Peak every one who is able to work needs to show up on a daily basis. Playing Daddy to an 11 month old "newborn" would not fly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're a real POS Dan.

Been called a lot worse by a lot better.

I will admit to calling in "sick" during a snowstorm and leaving my co-workers short handed. That was just one day----I would never think of doing it for 30 days, especially during Peak.

The real POS is the person who decided to take Peak off to play Baby Daddy to an 11 month old "newborn" during Peak.

Overpaid Union Thug

This has nothing to do with greed or jealousy.

Perhaps this might fly in a larger center but when you work in a small facility which sends out 24-28 routes on a daily basis and bumps that up to 40-50 during Peak every one who is able to work needs to show up on a daily basis. Playing Daddy to an 11 month old "newborn" would not fly.

Greed comes into play every peak when corporate decides to put in 40-50 routes instead of 45-55 that gives them more flexablity. Unfortunately it took us having an epic failure one peak for UPS to come to their senses and start adding more routes. But they've slowly started creeping those numbers back up. With more routes in being a driver short can easily be offset various ways. But either way.....its not for you to decide when someone else's FMLA is taken nor does it matter whether or not you think the reason(s) the person decided to use FMLA justifies missing peak season. We are not any more obligated to have perfect attendance during peak. It's just another day on the calendar. You are STILL just mad because you weren't able to miss peak while someone else did.

Overpaid Union Thug

Uh.....nope.

I always considered Peak to be our Super Bowl and thrived on the chaos.

Have a kid at Thanksgiving? See you in January.

Have a kid on New Year's Day? See you during Peak.

Super Bowl? NOPE! Its a job dude. Nothing more. Nothing less. Peak comes and goes right at, or about, the same time EACH and EVERY year. So, UPS has plenty of time to prepare for and be adequately staffed when it starts. Wanna know why they can't seem to accomplish that?

Because of people like you. Runners and gunners and/or people that go into "peak mode" like cowards and would rather leave their own personal/family affairs on the table for three months out of fear of retribution from their supervisor. HA! Pathetic.

Since there are so many of you cowards in the ranks UPS doesn't normally need to worry about losing a driver or two because they'll just let your kind, along with helpers that don't know any better, take on the extra work. And there's always the option of forcing OnCars, Managers, and IE slugs into a package care as well.

Peak has always been what it is because of people like you. A giant :censored2: storm. No wonder some people feel the need to opt out of it whenever possible. Why not when we know your kind will absorb the work. LOL! Thanks for that by the way. HA!

What'dyabringmetoday???

And that’s a problem because......?......?

Good for him! I’m sure at one point (probably many more than that) while he was tending to his 11 month old (that likely couldn't walk yet, feed itself, bathe itself, or change it’s own diaper) he thought to himself “Man, it sure is nice helping my wife out with the basic needs of my child instead of humping cardboard and putting up with a degenerate helper all day. This is a win/win!” And I can almost guarantee you that his wife thought something similar more than a few times as well.

The fact that it was during peak season was irrelevant in regards to legality and morally. The greed of UPS and jealousy of other drivers is equally irrelevant.
He's just jealous that he was not able to manage his finances and couldn't take time off like that.