rant about ups freight

UnconTROLLed

perfection
this is my rant after a very bad monday shift

today i open a trailer, theres 500 books all over the floor next to a busted up box

behidn that was 85 loose tires, which was fine.....but then behind that, was 10 pallets stacked 2 high, NOT ONE PALLET was wrapped OR braced, so theres was :censored2: EVERYWHERE

all kinds of cartons all over the floor, thousands, had to sort them all out and actually wrap them

does anybody on here think for one second that 2 skids of loose cartons not wrapped and not braced will even make it out of the yard without falling? NO.....and it came from over 300 miles away

what i have found is that ups freight dont give a :censored2: about bracing :censored2::censored2: properly.......at all.......when i was at roadway express we hardly ever got :censored2: like that, theese freight loaders just throw :censored2: in the trailer however it fits knowing that the next guy is gonna have a massive mess to :censored2: with

i swear to god if i ever find loader 534 from lousville kentucky im beating his :censored2:in ass

almost all the trailers are like that, all you need is some wrap and a few load bars or straps

damnit

end rant

you need a positive outlet in your life. This is not about UPS.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
We all agree it is frustrating to deal with this. When I open a pair of swing doors I always make sure I step out of the way of the potential avalanche. But, luckily, I am paid by the hour. As I am guessing so are you. So if UPS wants to waste their money on damage claims and paying me to pick up boxes, after I tell them about the problem, than so be it.

You do your part and do the right thing. We, utimately, can only control our actions ...and our reactions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We all agree it is frustrating to deal with this.

You do your part and do the right thing. We, ultimately, can only control our actions ...and our reactions.

A great base for a philosophy on life. Too many people get all worked up about things they can not control and things they should not try to control.

Just do your job and do it to the best of your ability.

Life gets much better when a person comes to terms with this aspect of life. :peaceful:

barnyard

KTM rider
one time i had these 4 skids that had completely tipped over en route and they had TINY boxes THOUSANDS of them all over the floor, i showed my superviser and he just chuckled, then walked away to talk to the guy in the door next to me

That tells me alot about you, right there. Over-react much????

Back when I was an unloader, I spent quite a bit of time screaming about damages and horrible loads. Nothing changed. I brought in a small digital camera and started taking photos of loads. It was perfect, one morning we had a PCM about damages, out comes the camera. Things changed after that.

Sounds like you need to stay under the radar for a bit....

TB

gandydancer

...i once had a skid of this high value freight which is suppose to really be protected good.....it was in the very nose, with a skid of 4 drums of some corrosive hazmat material on top of it, not stable at all, and crushing it

corrosive liquid spilled all over the place including on the freight itself......people at ups freight simply do not give a :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: about loading techniques

is it the same way at ups ground? do your loaders put a 300 lb unstable box on top of a 5 lb box of glass? probably

Well, no. UPS package isn't supposed to go over 150 lbs, so we only dump 150 lb packages on top of the 5 lb boxes of glass.

On the other hand, the requirement that HazMats be blocked and braced isn't up to UPS management to obey or ignore. It's a CFR 49 requirement and if you'd reported the incident to the DOT or OSHA a fine of $23,000 or so (maybe 4 x $23,000) might have got management's attention.