Recycling programs in UPS facilities

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Split drivers just leave all garbage on the dash. Banana peels, all kind of wrappers, and chaw spit too. What slobs.

You guys don't do call tags. Can't you at least pick up your trash?

That is aggravating but has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I am in the process of expanding the recycling program in my center. Our local trash hauler has a Zero Sort program but up until now we have only used it for cardboard. We are expanding it to include paper, plastics and paperboard products. We purchased 10 small recycling bins which will be put next to each of the trash cans throughout the facility. Each bin will have a sign indicating what can be put in them. We have two dumpsters dedicated to Zero Sort----these are both normally full of cardboard so our custodians will hold the recyclables until the dumpsters are emptied and then dump them in. The key will be separating the recyclables from the trash before it makes it to the dumpsters and early indicators are that it will be about one large trash can per day of recyclable material.

As you can imagine the toughest part thus far has been the education process and trying to change the mindset among the hourlies and management. I asked our OMS clerk to make copies of the Zero Sort "cheat sheet" for every driver and manager----these show what can and cannot be recycled. There has also been resistance from the custodial staff----I have put the bins by the trash cans only to come off road and found that the custodians have gone back to the old set-up. I also heard that rather than wait for the Zero Sort dumpsters to be emptied they simply threw the recycled material in to the trash dumpster. It will take some time and perhaps a bit of bribing (gift cards?) to get them on board. I find myself doing a lot of "dumpster diving" when I get off road trying to separate the recyclables from the trash and have had to endure snide comments from co-workers but in the end I know that the program will be a success and I will feel better knowing that I kept a small portion of recyclable material out of the landfill. Most of us recycle at home----why is recycling in the workplace any different?

What efforts, if any, does your center/hub put toward recycling?
It''s funny...for years our building didn't recycle anything. We have trash cans and dumpsters...and scrap metal dumpsters...that's it. No plastic bottle or aluminum can recycling. It wasn't unil they put bottle deposits on water bottles, that ups started designating totes at the end of every belt for us to put our empties in for recycling. Primarily, because all summer long, they provide employees with bottled water.....there's a cooler full of bottles at the front of every belt. But once the summer's over and the free water stops...everything goes back in the trash. No recycling that I can see

I would assume, if an employee were rummaging through the trash and taking bottles and cans and attempting to leave the building with them...it could be construed as theft.

upschuck

We have blue trash cans for recycled material sporadically placed in the hub and breakroom. Don't know how much they are used since they have lids on though, Have had them for several years.
I find myself doing a lot of "dumpster diving" when I get off road trying to separate the recyclables from the trash and have had to endure snide comments from co-workers
Do you go deep into the can, or just skim off the top? Why should there be any different from here? :1eye:
I also heard that rather than wait for the Zero Sort dumpsters to be emptied they simply threw the recycled material in to the trash dumpster. It will take some time and perhaps a bit of bribing (gift cards?) to get them on board.
Maybe they have nowhere to store the recyclables, and are told to have clean bins everyday. How long will it be to get the recyclable dumpsters ready?
As you can imagine the toughest part thus far has been the education process and trying to change the mindset among the hourlies and management. I asked our OMS clerk to make copies of the Zero Sort "cheat sheet" for every driver and manager----these show what can and cannot be recycled.
The copy probably just go into the recyclable bin. Maybe a short PCM about it would be better.
Most of us recycle at home----why is recycling in the workplace any different?
Laziness and no nagging wife(not mine).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Would recycling be equivalent to digging through the trash that could get you fired for stealing?
In states that have bottle deposits...it might be. Could you imagine getting fired for a couple of bucks worth of empty bottles? It hardly seems worth it!

With LP breathing down our necks..it's gotten to the point that if I walked into a truck in the building and saw a $1 bill sitting on the floor, I wouldn't even touch it, just immediately call over my sup and have him deal with it...that's the truth!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would recycling be equivalent to digging through the trash that could get you fired for stealing?

Ask Rod how much crap he used to take home from a UPS dumpster.

For the rest of us, as long as you don't take anything out of the facility, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have blue trash cans for recycled material sporadically placed in the hub and breakroom. Don't know how much they are used since they have lids on though, Have had them for several years.

Do you go deep into the can, or just skim off the top? Why should there be any different from here? :1eye:

Maybe they have nowhere to store the recyclables, and are told to have clean bins everyday. How long will it be to get the recyclable dumpsters ready?

The copy probably just go into the recyclable bin. Maybe a short PCM about it would be better.

Laziness and no nagging wife(not mine).

The dumpsters are already on site. Everyone thought they were just for cardboard.
T

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
Ask Rod how much crap he used to take home from a UPS dumpster.

For the rest of us, as long as you don't take anything out of the facility, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yes I did-----but that was in the "Olden Days" and according to upstate things have changed. I still have a large coffee can full of nuts, bolts, screws and washers that were salvaged out of empty trailers sitting in the lot. I started saving that stuff after I had tried to turn in a hand full of loose hardware to my center manager. He looked at me and said "what the hell am I suppose to do with that? ---- just throw it away". Every trailer has a handful of new hardware laying in the bottom of it but I'm sure now days it isn't worth messing with. Where I worked the dumpster was fair game for dumpster divers and I never heard one manager say stay away. I remember one time before a big audit the center manager was actually asking people if they wanted everthing from car-wash brushes to hoses to empty file cabinets and old steel two wheel carts. Apparently our center had more than were allowed.I got a nice old cart and a 4 drawer file cabinet out of that deal. There were a few of us drivers who made sure nothing of value got hauled away.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I went in this morning for about an hour to make sure everything was set up for Monday. All of the bins were in place with a flyer taped to them showing what does and doesn't go in there. Went through the office trash cans and moved any recyclables, which was mostly paper. Boy, we waste a lot of paper!! Went through the trash cans on the floor---less paper, more cans and plastic. Went through the pkg cars. After going through some of them I hope my loader appreciates a neat freak like me because some of my co-workers are slobs.

When I left every recycling bin was full and there was a pile next to one of them. Custodians may not be happy with me on Monday but they'll get over it.

I fully understand that change does not happen overnight but I hope that with time recycling in my center becomes second nature.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

You seem dedicated to this, is there a particular reason for that, or just trying to be green?

Find anything good in anyone's PC?

HomeDelivery

are you getting paid extra to go there on a Saturday to do all of that, Dave?

yea, over here as well we are trying to recycle as well... but the single-stream bin is smaller than the garbage bin at the parking lot; most of our refuse can be recycled (paper & bottles/cans) fill it up quickly... local management should get either a bigger bin or an additional bin for it

Anonymous 12

Non active member
I might be interested in approaching management in our hub to begin some sort of plastics and aluminum recycling program. The amount of waste generated by drink containers alone is unbelievable!

I am curious if any other large facilities have a successful recycling program. Any specifics would help, such as who collects the waste, how many receptacles, etc. I also would love to hear from those who live in states that require deposits on plastic containers (I believe MI and CA are two) on any impact that regulation has on drink containers at your UPS facility.

Thanks!
They are recycling me every day.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I am in the process of expanding the recycling program in my center. Our local trash hauler has a Zero Sort program but up until now we have only used it for cardboard. We are expanding it to include paper, plastics and paperboard products. We purchased 10 small recycling bins which will be put next to each of the trash cans throughout the facility. Each bin will have a sign indicating what can be put in them. We have two dumpsters dedicated to Zero Sort----these are both normally full of cardboard so our custodians will hold the recyclables until the dumpsters are emptied and then dump them in. The key will be separating the recyclables from the trash before it makes it to the dumpsters and early indicators are that it will be about one large trash can per day of recyclable material.

As you can imagine the toughest part thus far has been the education process and trying to change the mindset among the hourlies and management. I asked our OMS clerk to make copies of the Zero Sort "cheat sheet" for every driver and manager----these show what can and cannot be recycled. There has also been resistance from the custodial staff----I have put the bins by the trash cans only to come off road and found that the custodians have gone back to the old set-up. I also heard that rather than wait for the Zero Sort dumpsters to be emptied they simply threw the recycled material in to the trash dumpster. It will take some time and perhaps a bit of bribing (gift cards?) to get them on board. I find myself doing a lot of "dumpster diving" when I get off road trying to separate the recyclables from the trash and have had to endure snide comments from co-workers but in the end I know that the program will be a success and I will feel better knowing that I kept a small portion of recyclable material out of the landfill. Most of us recycle at home----why is recycling in the workplace any different?

(On a side note, rather than start a new thread, I "recycled" this one)

Integrity?!? Is that you?

Sent using a Potato